San Francisco to Scandinavia and Hokkaido

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco to Scandinavia and Hokkaido

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Fantastic TR, I am thinking of going to Hokkaido soon. Thanks for sharing!
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:51 pm

Thank you so much for the TR.

will be in Furano & Biei in less than two weeks, great to get some advice about
Old Aug 14, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Excellent TR, I enjoyed reading this very much.

I had never heard of a bike tour until now!
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:45 pm

^Awesomely great!
Old Aug 15, 2010, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Very nice!

enjoyable TR! I also like the photos in the countries, not just not just on the airplane.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
This was a wonderful trip report, good balance of pictures and text. I truly enjoyed every bit of it, you really took us along.

I recently had the pleasure of flying SK J four times on their CPH-BKK route, and I was really impressed. They're possibly my favourite EU carrier in business.

One minor detail... it's Galeria Kaufhof, not Kauflof
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:35 pm

Programs: LH FTL, Marriott Plat
Thumbs up Impressive!

It is always a pleasure reading your detailed and visually very appealing reports! Thanks for taking us along on this great trip!

You should give the Marriott in CPH a try on a future visit. The waterfront location makes it a very special place, although it's at least a 15-minute walk to the main attractions.

Oh! And I just found a small "copy and paste" mistake: your NH flight to MUC was probably operated by a 777 rather than an A-320, right?

Anyway! I hope your back problems will go away soon and I wish you happy and safe travels! Looking forward to future reports!

-Tom
Old Aug 15, 2010, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the corrections.

Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
I recently had the pleasure of flying SK J four times on their CPH-BKK route, and I was really impressed. They're possibly my favourite EU carrier in business.

One minor detail... it's Galeria Kaufhof, not Kauflof
Thanks for the eagle eyes, TrayflowInUK

Originally Posted by tomashi
It is always a pleasure reading your detailed and visually very appealing reports! Thanks for taking us along on this great trip!

You should give the Marriott in CPH a try on a future visit. The waterfront location makes it a very special place, although it's at least a 15-minute walk to the main attractions.

Oh! And I just found a small "copy and paste" mistake: your NH flight to MUC was probably operated by a 777 rather than an A-320, right?

Anyway! I hope your back problems will go away soon and I wish you happy and safe travels! Looking forward to future reports!

-Tom
Good suggestion, Tom. Indeed we heard very good reviews about the Marriott CPH. I tried to priceline it up to I think $130 without any luck in the Spring. And the regular rate was about $300, so we did not book directly with it. Then in early June, there's a Hotels.com special rate of $125 showing up, and we almost went with it. But given we had so little time in any of the cities we are visiting, we figured out we won't be spending so much time in the hotel, so we went with Hotel Fox instead. But definitely next time we will give Marriott a try.

Wow, thanks for catching the A320 NRT to MUC error. It's by no means a 'small' mistake FT readers really pay close attention to the flight details !

My back problems are getting better, thanks. I can't run, I can't jump, but I can bike
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:28 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Very nice report, and great photos! I was intrigued by the combination of Scandinavia and Japan, especially after spending 10 days in Sweden last. Two friends I met up with on the trip are in your Copenhagen bike tour photo!

Love the close-up photo of lavender.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
tax?

Originally Posted by UAFlyer

Planning
Last year we had a blast going to Krakow and Beijing in the summer, using the North America to North Asia via the Atlantic award on UA, which at the time cost 105,000 miles. As soon as the trip was over, we began planning for the summer vacation for this year. We would like to do another North America to Asia via the Atlantic award, and had our eyes on Helsinki being the stopover point, and Sapporo our destination.

Award Booking
We made the first booking in December last year for the trip in July this year. We know booking this far ahead would usually allow us to get around the Starnet blocking by UA and seats are more readily available, especially for the trans Atlantic segments. This would give us enough time to keep improving on the routing, and thanks to the 1K award fee waiver, we could make as many changes as possible for free. As usual, the actual booking process is like pulling teeth, different agents would be telling us different things, that this type of award is either no longer available or never legal. The hanging up and calling back approach once again worked magic. Once we were able to make the booking, funny thing is that we encountered almost no resistance to numerous changes afterwards. Apparently if the rate desk approves of issuing of the ticket, agents would no longer make up their own rules. The problem really has to do with the fact that UA award chart does not explicitly list what it would cost if we start from the US, and go to Asia via Europe. We redeemed 135,000 miles for this award on business class, the same amount it would cost if we are to start in Asia, and wanted to go to Europe via the US, and that is listed in the award chart. (120K for direct travel between regions, 135K for travel involving a third region)

Obstacles
We spent the early part of the year fine tuning the itinerary, adding a couple of less than 24 hour transit points so we could visit a few more cities, and also adjusted the routing when schedule changes messed up the connections. We thought we had a pretty decent itinerary by March, and would be able to relax and start working on the hotels and planning what to do in each location. But in April the volcano in Iceland erupted and caused enormous flight disruptions in Europe, it's less clear if we could really go on a trip that's planned this far ahead, especially it involves many stops in Scandinavia, one of the most affected region.

Just when the volcano problem seemed to die down, another disaster struck. One day in early May my back was in great pain, and once I lied down in the bed, I could not get up for the next day. Something was wrong, very wrong, when I finally was able to get up and saw the doctor, I was diagnosed with a disc injury, which could take months to recover, assuming there's not deeper problem which requires surgery. Taking the heavy dosage of pain killers and muscle relaxant the doctor prescribed did not really seem to help, and I could hardly walk a few steps. There's no hope taking a vacation in two months anymore. Delaying the trip was also not an option, by this time, it's impossible to find availability of the same routing by pushing the trip out by a month, or two. Not really wanting to see all the hard work in securing the tickets go down the drain, I began some intensive physical therapy, and was able to improve the mobility quite a bit. By early June, I was able to survive a short flight from San Francisco to Phoenix, and was also able to hop on a bike, and while the pain was still intense, I no longer needed to rely on the drugs. I became cautiously optimistic that I could make the trip after all, and resumed the planning and booking of the hotels, but we still booked mostly the higher refundable rates just in case.

Final itinerary
7/2 Fri UA 328 SFO 11:55pm ORD 6:02am (+1)
7/3 Sat SK 946 ORD 4:25pm ARN 7:45am (+1)
7/5 Mon SK 1417 ARN 7:10am CPH 8:25am
7/6 Tue KF 638 CPH 8:10am HEL 10:45am
7/8 Thu LH 3107 HEL 9:25am FRA 10:55am
7/8 Thu LH 736 FRA 2:30pm NGO 8:50am (+1)
7/9 Fri NH 705 NGO 10:15am CTS 11:55am
7/12 Mon NH 2152 CTS 7:50am NRT 9:25am
7/12 Mon NH 207 NRT 11:50am MUC 5:00pm
7/13 Tue LH 458 MUC 4:15pm SFO 7:10pm

The itinerary starts from San Francisco, and the destination is Sapporo, Japan with a stopover in Helsinki. And using the less than 24 hour rule, we would be able to spend a day in Stockholm, Copenhagen and Munich as well. Initially we were to start on Saturday morning on a United flight to Chicago and transit to an SAS flight to Stockholm, and the United flight is on the new 767 3-class international configuration plane. Subsequent schedule changes caused the flight to become a 757, so we switched to the early morning 6am flight on the 747, thinking it would not be so bad if we could get to sit upstairs on the lie flat seats. Then UA brought back the old 747, and there was no incentive for us to make an effort to get up so early in the morning to catch that flight anymore. So we finally switched to the red eye flight the night before, and this would give us about half a day in Chicago, which we decided to join a bike tour to get warm up for the European trip.

The itinerary allows us to sample five different Star Alliance airlines, with one UA flight, one Blue 1 flight, two SAS flights, three ANA flights and three Lufthansa flights. The total distance is 26571miles, more than 55 hours on plane, but given that's on business class for the majority, it's actually an itinerary we look forward to very much.
Thanks for the great report. How much were the taxes and fees for this itinerary?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:45 pm

This is a most excellent trip report.. I just flew both business and first on Lufthansa.. Their service is excellent.. YOur trip brought back great memories of trips to Japan and Stockholm.. Thank you...
Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Azure
Thank you for the great TR
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:59 pm

excellent TR, gave me some ideas..
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for the comments

Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Very nice report, and great photos! I was intrigued by the combination of Scandinavia and Japan, especially after spending 10 days in Sweden last. Two friends I met up with on the trip are in your Copenhagen bike tour photo!
Wow, what are the chances of that's happening ! It's interesting everyone on the tour that day was from the U.S.

Originally Posted by zappa42m
Thanks for the great report. How much were the taxes and fees for this itinerary?
Initial routing did not include <24 hr stop in Copenhagen, and taxes and fees were $137.10 each ticket. After adding Copenhagen, total increased by $12.40 to $149.50 each ticket.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Love your photos in europe and in sapporo, especially when you went there with all the lavendar blooming, it is very expensive to go to sapporo around this time of the year, curious are you actually from asia originally ? As not many westerners know about the lavendars field in furano.

You used 120K miles very well, got to sample 3 of the *A partners. If it is me, I would do 170K in F though.
Both SK and LH seems to offer inferior amenity kits in C, the new packaging of NH amenitiy items looks ugly, I like the old one better, especially for the hand lotion.

The problem really has to do with the fact that UA award chart does not explicitly list what it would cost if we start from the US, and go to Asia via Europe. We redeemed 135,000 miles for this award on business class, the same amount it would cost if we are to start in Asia, and wanted to go to Europe via the US, and that is listed in the award chart. (120K for direct travel between regions, 135K for travel involving a third region)
Well even if UA doesn't list the amount of miles needed, but by reading FT threads you should have known that amount by now.

Our flight was on a 767 2-class domestic configuration aircraft with leather seats in the first class. The seats were quite comfortable, but we did not get the new style blankets. In fact, even the Hemisphere magazine was from last month.
Not sure what new blankets you are talking about.

2 class domestic planes always have the same blankets in F, it is only on the 3 class planes F and C got new blankets.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Aug 16, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.