Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Long way to get to Brazil from AMS (UA, C class - via ORD & IAD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold

Recently, I have changed my allegiance from Skyteam (KLM-Airfrance) to Star Alliance (mainly United for Transatlantic and Turkish if I am heading east). This is due to the flying blue frequent flyer fiasco of the April 2009.

Hence, we took the longer route to Brazil via the USA. good way maximize miles.

United Airlines
Business class from Amsterdam to Chicago (UA 909)

The flight started wonderfully. We started with some nice predeparture champagne and toasted for a wonderful trip ahead of us.

The taxiing was slow and long. I guess we took off from the polder baan runway. The take-off was nice and smooth. We climbed towards England, did some zig-zag (I guess to skip the Icelandic ash cloud)… and soon went over the Atlantic.

We started with nice appetizers (greens + smoked chicken + bread roll + chocolate). Of course the drinks were flowing in the mean time. I had my scotch, and my wife her wine. She said this was the best wine she had tasted. I kept the menu – once we are back in NL I wanna get her the same wine.

Following the appetizer we had a nice steak for lunch – fillet mignon and potato wedges. I washed it down with a gallon of scotch. I cannot believe the stewardess served me with a 200ml glass of Chivas Regal. But it being me, I had to finish it.

And the reward was the best ever ice-cream in the sky. It was with caramel and nuts… OH MAMA!

I guess the Scotch was making me happy and drowsy – took a nice nap and woke up to have a nice HOT Turkey Sandwich. I guess this sandwich topped it all… nice sautéed onions, mustard… hit the right spots.

UA, C from ORD to IAD

For such a short hop the service is almost non-existent. Apart from some water or something. but the good part of this trip was that we got to try the new C seats on the 767. I have to say the C hard product is much better than the older one. Many people complain that it seems too cramped and all - but I didnt find that. Maybe I was there for such a short trip. I guess, if you are looking eye-to-eye to your next door neighbor on a 12-14 hr flight, i guess that can be annoying. Granted the older seats are terrible - the space provided per passenger is quite good. anyways, each to their own.

United Airlines 861, C class from IAD - GRU

This flight was the most annoying part of the trip. I dont know if I was tired from all the flying I had done earlier that day or the crew was so inefficient. Once we boarded the crew took forever to serve meals - their only concern was to arrange their sleeping seats before they did anything. Infact they moved few revenue passengers from the private C cabin (immediately following the F, in a 777) to make room for themselves. Few passengers complained but to no avail. I am not sure if this is the United experience, United promises.

anyways, I skipped the meal that evening and went straight to bed and woke up next morning to have a decent breakfast.

In all the flight was decent. Nothing special about UA business class that stands up in front of competition. in conclusion - UA gets the job done by getting you from one place to another! Dont expect too much and you will be happy
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:51 am

WARNING:

If you use a UNITED AWARD ticket on another airline than United, you are not allowed to change the return date. You can only change to a United flight. So if the route is not covered by UNITED, you lose the ticket and are stuck.
This is the reason I am leaving their program.
And in Y the seat pitch is really bad.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 5:40 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Nice photos and TR!
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee
WARNING:

If you use a UNITED AWARD ticket on another airline than United, you are not allowed to change the return date. You can only change to a United flight. So if the route is not covered by UNITED, you lose the ticket and are stuck.
This is the reason I am leaving their program.
And in Y the seat pitch is really bad.
?????????????????

Anyways, thanks for the info...
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for the report. A shame your longer flights did not feature UA's new C-seats.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:55 am
Original Poster

New C seats would have been nice. But we were quite happy with the old ones. Somehow I felt the old seats have more space. especially we were sitting in the private C cabin. Thats always great. ^
Old Jul 2, 2010, 6:01 am

You have to love the food pics
Nice report
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m90291
You have to love the food pics
Nice report
Thanks!

The food on AMS - ORD was actually quite good, but IAD - GRU was a let down! same day, different experience...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.