Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Thailand: A Gulf Air and Cathay Pacific special

Thailand: A Gulf Air and Cathay Pacific special

Old Jun 6, 10, 3:26 pm

Thanks for the TR w pics you rock star!!!!
Old Jun 6, 10, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Thanks for this.

Very glad your GF tickets were honored and that you enjoyed the experience! ^
Old Jun 6, 10, 8:44 pm

Programs: QF SG,Velocity WP, Hilton Diamond
Great TR thanks for posting!
Old Jun 7, 10, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by spanishflea View Post
...when a little birdie told us about an interesting deal from Cairo to Bangkok on Gulf Air. We ended up taking up the offer and ended up with the foundation of our trip, a one way CAI-BAH-BKK on Gulf Air, in First Class, for the grand total of 180.
Great TR ^ For others interested in the background of this deal, it's apparently discussed in this thread.

I made it very clear that this would not be acceptable to my travelling companion and he would be very upset and pressed them to find an option on alternative carriers. After refusing Etihad, Qatar or Emirates we were finally offered the option of taking Oman Air via Muscat. This would get us in late, but to our final destination 24 hours late rather than 48 hours late. The main downside was that we would have to downgrade to Business Class, however I accepted the option and asked if we could go back out into the terminal to check with James that this was alright.
One question though regarding the above: why did you reject Etihad, Qatar and Emirates, but accept Oman? AFAIK it's the worst of the lot by a fairly wide margin, and since you had a flexible ticket and apparently no prepaid reservations etc in Thailand (?), it would have seemed to me that the easiest course of action would just have been to take the free hotel, spend a day in Bahrain, and fly out the next day.

Last edited by jpatokal; Jun 7, 10 at 3:30 am
Old Jun 7, 10, 5:20 am

Phenomenol report!

You just have to send more!
Old Jun 7, 10, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spanishflea View Post
On future Asian trips I will have no hesitation whatsoever redeeming onto CX instead of BA as BA have such a long way to go to reach that level of product consistency.
You and me both. I am eagerly awaiting my next LHR-HKG in a few weeks in F on CX.

Great report spanishflea

I agree about the LP bubbly - I was supping down a few too many glasses of that on a flight last Saturday. If you get the opportunity do try the Taittinger Comtes de Champagne, IMHO it is even better still.
Old Jun 8, 10, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks for all the comments!

Originally Posted by jpatokal View Post
One question though regarding the above: why did you reject Etihad, Qatar and Emirates, but accept Oman? AFAIK it's the worst of the lot by a fairly wide margin, and since you had a flexible ticket and apparently no prepaid reservations etc in Thailand (?), it would have seemed to me that the easiest course of action would just have been to take the free hotel, spend a day in Bahrain, and fly out the next day.
I didn't write that section particularly well I'm afraid. I suggested Etihad, Qatar and Emirates to the Gulf Air staff but they refused to put us on any of those carriers. Oman Air was the only one they would offer.

The reason I went for Oman before I was overruled was because we did have pre paid reservations in Koh Lanta. In the end we only lost one prepaid night which in the grand scheme of things was hardly worth worrying about.
Old Jun 8, 10, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Was like walking down memory lane. I got in on this deal and was on the plane 4 days later. It was a great experience as you mentioned with the sky chef. I also had a similar experience taking Bangkok Airways business class from hkt-bkk through koh samui as well. I love that terminal, free juice and pastries for all passengers there btw. They have it throughout, not just lounge.

Great report.
Old Jun 8, 10, 2:32 pm
azj

Very nice report! I loved your writing style. I do have one question though... why didn't you shower and brush your teeth before leaving home? =)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: