Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

MGM Grand Air - All First Class from LAX-JFK

MGM Grand Air - All First Class from LAX-JFK

Old May 20, 10, 7:42 am

I never knew such a thing existed! Thanks for the report.
Old May 20, 10, 12:02 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Love it, love it, love it. Thanks for a great, and eye-opening read! :-:
Old May 20, 10, 1:48 pm

i am also an mgm alum. i took the flight a few times. i may be mistaken but i am pretty sure we flew it direct into vegas, from ny, a couple of times. maybe a charter? i remember seeing something that looked like a weird phone and asked what it was. i was told a it was a fax machine. i do not think id ever seen one before that...
Old May 20, 10, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
What a luxury! If only I had a chance and old enough to experience this. Thank you! wow!
Old May 21, 10, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Great report.

Good ol' Chuck B...
Old May 21, 10, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
Interestingly, I too flew one of those MGM Grand 727s, though it was in the service of Braniff International before being sold to Regent Air.
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
i am also an mgm alum. i took the flight a few times.
At first I thought "it's a small world," but then I realized this is FlyerTalk after all.

Very cool that you both had experienced the campy 727s. The only thing missing was green shag carpeting, a disco ball, and a couple of strippers.
Old May 21, 10, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
Good ol' Chuck B...
I had no idea who he was at the time. Little runt with an oversize ego IMO.

He did have a couple of lookers with him though...

And they all could have recorded the soundtrack for a Hoover vacuum commercial with all the "negative nostril pressure" coming from that cabin...

Know what I mean? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink..
Old May 22, 10, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
I seem to remember U2 chartered out an MGM Grand 727 for their ZOO TV tour back in 1992... I never realised it was a scheduled airline as well! Thanks for the TR.
Old Jul 16, 11, 6:49 pm

Programs: Piper Comanche
On 17 Jun 1992 my spouse and I flew on an MGM Grand DC-8 in 'coach.' We were relocating to the East Coast, we had a cat and a dog - the cat was in between us and the dog was in the cargo hold back when the airlines still cared if the animals arrived alive. Its been almost 20 years but I remember darn little. We were in the 'coach' section of the private air terminal [which was just the old Imperial Terminal @ LAX] and I think there were 4 of us who made the trip to JFK that day in Coach. The cost was exactly the same as if we took AA or UAL and the food was much better, the seats were only 4 across in Coach - I think they served chateaubriand - so it was a killer deal, free booze and wine - and we left on time and arrived on time. The dog came out within 15 minutes -
Old Jul 21, 11, 10:28 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
I remember their TV ads..."Maybe the other airlines should call their flights Second Class."
Old Oct 24, 11, 7:58 pm

MGM Grand

Deleted

Last edited by gayleg; Nov 3, 15 at 7:32 pm Reason: 00
Old Oct 25, 11, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gayleg View Post
I was one of those blonde flight attendants for MGM back in the day. Ha, I still have that tuxedo uniform. Yes, there was nothing like it & probably never will be again. We had everybody in the entertainment ind. fly us as it was the only airline they could "let their hair down" on. There was always some shenanigans going on with the celebrities in those private staterooms and we always had to look the other way. Regretfully we were not allowed to take pictures and even had to sign confidentiality agreements not to talk to press...I wish I had breached it...could have made a lot of money! I remember having De Niro and his significant other Toukie Smith on frequently, the "gong" guy and yes he was falling all over some bimbos. We had Lucille Ball (not nice), Micheal Jackson (frequently a no-show), Elizabeth Taylor (a doll!), Tom Cruise(sweet), Eric Clapton (so nice), Madonna (bossy!!) Motley Crew, Bon Jovi we had them all! Yes, U2, Guns & Roses, LA Laker charters, and some wild times went on there! Often we partied with them in NYC and other corners of the world, sometimes took the Concorde over to Paris for the weekend. But my two favorite passengers of all time were the late Milton Berle and John Candy, such special men! Ole Uncle Milty even invited me to lunch at his famous Friars Club in Bev Hills (I was only 28 The rest of them, (including Cheryl T) were mostly spoiled & very demanding. Oh and we only did Vegas for private charters it was never scheduled. But I have such fond memories of that time in my life and will always remember them.
It's been almost 25 years, but I remember a stunning blonde FA working one of my flights perhaps that was you!

Thanks for sharing your experience with the airline. It sounds like you'll always cherish your fond memories.
Old Oct 25, 11, 7:48 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, AA PLT, BonvoyGld, LH, AI, UA, DL
Sounds like a different world
Old Oct 25, 11, 10:42 am

Programs: AA PLT, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by gayleg View Post
But I have such fond memories of that time in my life and will always remember them.
You should consider writing a book...!
Old Oct 25, 11, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Marriott Plat
Great report. That beats Concorde any day!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: