Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6 Trains on 6 Continents ~ Connected by 44 Flights on 14 Airlines ~ PART 1

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2010, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Wow, absolutely sensational trip report Seat 2A!. And what an amazing trip, or set of trips. I've always loved train travel, but am married to one not so inclined.
I'm looking forward to reading Part 2 when I have more time to take it all in. Thanks for posting!!
Old May 10, 2010, 9:10 am

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
fantastic to read, wow.

thank you.^
Old May 10, 2010, 9:21 am

Fantastic Read!

Hey there. Thanks for taking the time to write what you have experienced. I read EVERY last word on your report, and found it very insightful and interesting. I was on the phone today about a first class booking on star alliance,I can only hope to write a report that is as interesting as yours was. Just curious to know how you are able to fly as often as you are.

Best wishes to you from Southern Switzerland.
Old May 10, 2010, 10:50 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Truly wonderful! I always appreciate your trip reports!

FDW
Old May 10, 2010, 10:58 am

Programs: pants
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
“I loved the suite! So large and comfortable. And the food… I really enjoyed my Chicken Divan dinner and the IFE was pretty good, too. After the movie, I slept for about five hours. When we landed in Cape Town, I was feeling fresh and ready to go.”
Thanks, you just described 80% of my trip reports ( all of which are on a private blog . An older friend who remembers Neil Armstrongs video trip report about his stroll on the moon; refers to mine as "twits from that twat who cannot do anything but put up photographs of shoes + legs on others seats and photos of furniture" )

Thanks ^ This was the best hour I ever spent on FT ( without skimming text, and gawking at images). Will try to do the SA train trip http://www.premierclasse.co.za/routes.html this year, only because of the way you described your experience; no images and lots of words!
Old May 10, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
Thank you once again for the detailed, well-written and engaging trip report.

You really should consider combining some of these and putting out a kindle version as a book.

Looking forward to part 2!!

-C
Old May 10, 2010, 1:25 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Another wonderful read - I can't wait to sink my teeth into part 2.
Old May 11, 2010, 2:20 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
March 16, 2010
San Francisco – Hong Kong
Cathay Pacific First Class
Boeing 777-300 B-KPE Seat 1K
105p – 705p Flight time: 14:01

Cathay’s 777-300ERs offer just eight of the next generation First Class suites, arranged in two rows of 1-2-1. My suite 1K was the forward most suite on the right. Although it was located immediately aft of the First Class galley, Suite 2K was located immediately forward of the much busier Business Class galley. Regardless, I wanted a seat on the right side of the aircraft because that’s where all the best scenery is. More on that in a bit though.
Slight correction required. The 777s only have 6 suites in a 1-1-1 arrangement.

Although I am not a huge aficionado of Champagne, I do respect that it has become a traditional and proper way to celebrate the start of a voyage whilst traveling in a manner as stylish as Cathay Pacific’s First Class. As such, I gladly accepted a sparkling glass of Krug Champagne, downed it and requested a refill before we’d pushed back from the gate. I wish I could tell you Champagne lovers that Krug’s superior quality was immediately apparent, but to date my favorite Champagne remains the 1989 Louise Pommery proffered in British Airways First Class back in 2002. I know, I know, there’s just no accounting for taste, but there you have it.
I too have fond memories of the Cuvee Louise that BA used to serve. My new favourite is the Taittinger Comtes de Champagne that QF have been serving over the last couple of years.

Wonderful, engaging, interesting and inspiring are a few adjectives I would use to describe this report. Every time I read another of your reports I have the urge to give this travel by train a test ride.
Old May 11, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: A3 *G
As always - an immensely enjoyable report Seat 2A

Who knows what attracted them to my pack this time but I was subsequently subjected to an inspection of each and every item in my day pack, an inspection so thorough that it crossed into the realm of ridiculous. When I say “each and every” item, I mean exactly that. Everything from ear plugs to car keys to toothbrush to reading material was inspected and individually swabbed for explosive residue. This even included items as innocuous as each and every pen and pencil, mustard packet and thumb drive along with even my hair brush. Removing all of these items (and more) out of each pocket, inspecting each one and then swabbing each one for explosive residue took quite a long time and by the time I’d finally put everything back together there were just ten minutes left until boarding.
You are not alone is being subject to this ridiculous type of inspection recently - Having been subject to this type of inspection myself in BFS, I don't see the individual involved on duty anymore.
Old May 11, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA AA DL Hilton blah, blah, blah
You know, I am just a few paragraphs into this epic adventure and I already have to pause and thank you for this delightful tome.

As much as you enjoy your journeys, I enjoy and savour a good read from our virtual friend, the inimitable Seat2A.

I am somehow reminded of the Dos Equis commercials about "the most interesting man in the world".

Seat2A: Coach doesn't wear him down, it makes him stronger!

Regards from sunny CA,
MaxSpeed
Old May 11, 2010, 1:17 pm

Excellent report! Really enjoyed all the detail and the great photography!
Old May 11, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
What a fantastic report so far. I agree with you that words are more powerful and meaningful then photos. I thoroughly enjoyed your commentry, thoughts and excellent writing. Can't wait to read the rest.

Thanks for such a refreshing report.
Old May 11, 2010, 10:53 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Well done. I may say that I think ALL domestic economy class flights are worthy of at least some mention even if only the barebones facts, such as estimated flying time and actual flying time as well as the type of plane.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:45 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Another great report

Well, what is better on a cool, overcast afternoon in UlaanBaator than reading part one of another of your classics. Probably you would consider this a balmy day in Fairbanks options for things to do are limited so why not get out of the cold and wind.

Perhaps I will hold off reading Part II until Saturday evening when I am sitting around waiting for my 2310 Korean Air flight to ICN.

Yes, lounges are very important for those of us who put in many miles each year. Without them I think we would be lost. Too bad ULN lacks even a basic one. Fortunately, PDX's Boardroom is excellent (pancakes), KE in SEA used the BA terraces lounge which is much better than the Delta Sky Club and ICN's business class lounge is good but a tad crowded.

For what it is worth the local lager is quite tasty and less than 90 cents in the local market.

Happy travels. A few beers still await in PDX if the clouds ever align.
Old May 13, 2010, 7:15 am

There was me sitting down to try & read that during my lunch hour...

Impressive stuff. I had seen your trip reports alluded to in others', but this was the first time I had experienced one. I shall make sure that it's not the last.

Just as an aside, I did find it amusing to see the probably 30+ year old rolling stock on your sleeper described as "modern aerodynamic cars". In the UK we poor rail travellers feel hard done by when we see what the rest of the continent & Japan has, but I suppose we should count ourselves lucky we're not in N America... That said, I don't think we've anything like Amtrak's California Zephyr.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.