Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Sydney to Griffith on Rex Airlines Saab 340

Old Apr 16, 10, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Flying Blue, Emirates Skywards, Virgin Velocity

Sydney to Griffith - Rex Airlines Saab 340

I have been a frequent reader of Trip reports on here and whilst I fly quite a lot i have never felt that my travels were worthy enough to tell others about. However this trip was a little different for me and I have decided I will make my first attempt at doing a Trip Report. I trust you will find it interesting?

My employment decides that I do a fair bit of regular travel between the Australian mainland capital cities, generally flying Qantas on 767, 737, etc, but rarely get the chance to do any regional travel apart from by car, however i had the need to fly out to Griffith and found myself on flight ZL469 from Sydney to Griffith with a stop at Narrendera/Leeton in a Rex Airlines Saab 340 (VH-ZLW)

Back when i lived in Tasmania i used to be on the QantasLink Dash 8 services quite a lot across Bass Strait from Devonport to Melbourne and in my frequent travels in recent years to Papua New Guinea for business travel i get to do some “interesting” trips on Air Nuigini Dash 8 services, so i am a bit of a fan of the Dash 8 and small Turboprops as a result, but this was to be my first experience of travelling on a Saab 340 and my first flight with Rex.

I was quite looking forward to this trip therefore and especially as this was to be a trip across your typical Australian regional landscape and one of the great things about flying on small turboprops is that you don’t fly too high and you get fantastic views of the terrain below. It also means sometimes you get a little bumpier ride, but hey that’s a fun part as well.

My flight was scheduled for departure at 2.20pm and after catching the courtesy bus from the T2 Terminal at Sydney airport to the Rex “parking lot” we boarded a fully loaded Saab 340 and started our taxi to Runway 16R and after a short 25 seconds we lifted off in to a slightly cloudy Sydney sky.

http://img405.imageshack.us/i/1therexparkinglot.jpg/

I was fortunate enough to have secured seat 8A, just behind the wing and on the single seat side of the aircraft. Our Pilot for the flight was Peter Berwick with Kurt Anderson as the First Officer and a delightful Jessica was our Flight Attendant.

As we gained attitude out of Sydney and turned right to head out towards the Blue Mountains there was a bit of slight turbulence as we went through the scattered clouds and i got a fantastic view of the underside of what I think was a Thai Airways 747 which passed directly over us as it circled in to land in Sydney.

I had been told before by others that flying out over the Blue Mountains offered some majestic sights and as we moved further inland and the scattered cloud cleared i was very pleasantly surprised by the scenic views below as we cleared the mountains and across farming land on the western side of the mountains and then further west. It really was a great little trip and before long an hour and about 15 minutes had passed and we descended down to land at Narrendera/Leeton.

We had nearly 30 minutes sitting on the tarmac at Narrendera/Leeton where 6 passengers left us and 4 joined us for the short hop to Griffith. After take-off we quickly gained altitude and levelled off. For some reason the short 15 minute hop to Griffith was quite turbulent, maybe because we did not gain a lot of altitude before we started descending again, but before long we had landed at Griffith right on time at 4.20pm and disembarked.

Overall it was quite a pleasant trip because of the changing scenery below, firstly the Blue Mountains, then the farming lands as we headed west, then the beautiful red soils out near Griffith with all the wineries and orchards in the surrounding countryside and the Saab 340 is quite a good little plane, with quite comfortable seats and a generous amount of leg room, even for a bigger guy like me.

Little wonder also that Rex was recently awarded the Air Transport World Regional Airline of the Year 2010 (I read that in the In flight Magazine). From the process of using their website to book the ticket, to checking in at Sydney Airport to the in-flight service from Jessica and the in flight magazine, i was very impressed.

PS, I had a few good photo’s to accompany the report, but wasn’t real sure how to add these to the report.

Last edited by Tassie Devil; Apr 16, 10 at 8:05 am Reason: added photo
Old Apr 16, 10, 7:12 am

Programs: QF,UA,VA
I think he has edited it, or been taken off...

Last edited by flyinsikh; Apr 17, 10 at 1:30 am Reason: report missing
Old Apr 16, 10, 7:40 pm

I can't see the trip report!!??

Search this Thread