Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8 bottles of Dom from LAX-BKK on SQ in F

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2011, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
It wasn't just drinking, there was this ...

Thanks for that...

Believe it or not, the non-stop food in F is ultimately more important to me than all that great Champagne and wine.

I'm like that skinny little Japanese guy Takeru Kobayashi who consistently wins the Nathan's hot dog eating contest. I can polish off more food than most people think is possible – then I go back for seconds. But I'm always burning serious calories, so it's a necessity for me.

Don't get me wrong, the Dom is one of the main attractions – but so is the wonderful service, the great food, quality lounges, comfortable seat, amenity kits, etc.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Talking

Originally Posted by macabus
I can polish off more food than most people think is possible – then I go back for seconds. But I'm always burning serious calories, so it's a necessity for me.
I hate you.

....Reminds me of little swimmer Janet Evans at the '88 Olympics in Seoul. At 5 feet 4 inches, she weighed 101 pounds, but was eating 7,000 calories a day. ...and beat the East Germans.

Not sure how she'd do with 8 bottles of Dom though!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 4:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
WOW! I have been known to drink quite a lot on board long flights, but this is truly stunning. 8 bottles of champagne in 32 hours...I feel like a challenge has been issued, so I will let you know when I'm ready to take you on!

Great report!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:34 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, KF Silver
please let me get a business saver ticket in january.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:22 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold, Asiana Club Diamond, THAI silver
This must be the record even the airlines talk about!! What a DOM run across the continents. Congrats!!

But hey, after reading through 14 pages, there aren't any single pic in here?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:16 am

According to my calculations a 25 oz bottle of Dom at 12% alcohol yields 3oz pure. So you had 8 btls = 24 oz which = 48 at 100 proof or 60 drinks at 80 proof. Supposedly a healthy liver processes 1 oz @ 80 proof/hr. You had 31 hours to do the processing, 60 - 31 = 29. So you touched down with the equivalent of 29 shots of vodka in you and were able to function. You've trained that liver well my friend. wj
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
According to my calculations a 25 oz bottle of Dom at 12% alcohol yields 3oz pure. So you had 8 btls = 24 oz which = 48 at 100 proof or 60 drinks at 80 proof. Supposedly a healthy liver processes 1 oz @ 80 proof/hr. You had 31 hours to do the processing, 60 - 31 = 29. So you touched down with the equivalent of 29 shots of vodka in you and were able to function. You've trained that liver well my friend. wj
Unfortunately, your calculations are based on the liver processing 1 oz of 80 proof alcohol per hour, instead of the standard 1.5 oz in a typical 5 oz glass of wine.

This would have left me with about 10 glasses of Dom in my system when I landed in BKK. There's no denying that's still a huge amount. Plus, the hangover whacked me for all 8 bottles!
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:36 am

Unfortunately, your calculations are based on the liver processing 1 oz of 80 proof alcohol per hour, instead of the standard 1.5 oz in a typical 5 oz glass of wine.

This would have left me with about 10 glasses of Dom in my system when I landed in BKK. There's no denying that's still a huge amount. Plus, the hangover whacked me for all 8 bottles!
Your right, I had it all wrong (I just looked it up) - it's a shot and a half/ hr. Still impressive my any measure. wj
Old Aug 15, 2011, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Your right, I had it all wrong (I just looked it up) - it's a shot and a half/ hr. Still impressive my any measure. wj
Thanks, I appreciate the accolades.

Unfortunately, work is keeping me so busy that I can only dream of taking another flight like this.

And to make matters worse, I have a half-million miles burning a hole through my pocket – but no time to a take a trip.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 9:32 pm

Unfortunately, work is keeping me so busy that I can only dream of taking another flight like this.

And to make matters worse, I have a half-million miles burning a hole through my pocket – but no time to a take a trip.
I volunteer to be your apprentice at champagne runs if you'll front me the miles.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:07 pm
formerly gohima

I think you should fund an FT champagne challenger....I'd be willing to give it a shot.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 2:23 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
OMG i have just read your bubbles TR, and what a trip, shame there were not any photos of all the full glasses and the food, but perhaps the camera might not have been steady when you tried to snap the photo i wonder what the other 3 paxs thought of you happily drinking, and they must of course heard the numerous pops from the galley. I reckon you must win hands down with the number of bottles that one can assume on 3 back to back sectors, think though you were lucky to make your connection, i probably would have keeled over in the showers. Keep the TR coming everyone here loves a good story and a happy customer^
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: SPG,United Mileage Plus, HHonors
Excellent Report!!!!^
Old Aug 18, 2011, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by westcoastbmx
Excellent Report!!!!^
Wanted to read a few fun trip reports today to set the mood for some upcoming flights. I'm stopping with this one to devise a reenactment plot [although since seldom drink much and never on planes this may take some modifications].

Thanks for sharing!
Old Sep 12, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt

Kind of reminds me of the quote from Jack Handey:

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the wine I drink, I feel shame! Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the vineyards and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this wine, they might be out of work, and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this wine and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver"
Parterre likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.