Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

V Australia - Business to LAX. Seat 1K

Old Apr 6, 10, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFCL

I've been a frequent viewer of trip reports on this site for sometime, but haven't contributed so I thought I would. A little background, I've frequently experience Domestic Business on Qantas, and 3-4 trips/year internationally in Qantas Business. So I know that the dealio is and what to expect. Decided to try something different & was first time to North America, so went on V Australia VA008 to LA from Brisbane.

The Ground Experience
Checkin opened the typical 3hrs prior to departure and entered the dedicated checkin line, where I was the only person. Thought the dark purple carpet was a nice touch with the southern cross star formation imprinted. Checkin was a breeze with the normal formality of questions. I noticed I was addressed by my first name throughout which was nice, not sure how others might take to this? Nice touch though, as came across as quite personable and caring.

No inwards express cards or lounge access was available, so waited in the departure lounge.

Boarding featured two aerobridges, one dedicated for Business and the other for Premium & Economy. As I entered the plane, was greeted & directed to my seat. My handluggage was stowed for me (first time ever) and was casually offered a drink (choices: juice/water/champagne (Moet & Chandon 2003)). Upon beverage delivery the crew member introduced himself and went over the amenities available (ie: unisex & women's only loo) & the functions & features of my seat. The boarding music was recent pop top 100's style, not too loud but put me into a relaxed mood. I do like clasical music but not during boarding as I find it unnerving.

The main business cabin has 35 seats, of which 8 were occupied. There are an additional 5 seats in row 5, which has its own 'cabin' (ie: curtain pulled around) but didn't see anyone in there throughout the flight.

Menu was found on the seat console with dinner & breakfast. Breakfast is similar to the 'room service menu' that Qantas offers, infact frighteningly similar.

After take off->Descent
The Flight Manager came around and greeted each passenger & personal introduction. Reinforcement of unisex & ladies only loo locations. Hot towels followed by usual premeal drink. Upon drink delivery mixed nuts were given. I loved this as they weren't in the token 'tear open' packet on Qantas and were nicely warmed, I felt a nice touch. The glass wear was a little different & will upload shortly. I ordered a G&T and came back in a 'shadow' style glass. Meal choices were taken & promptly delivered. Usual 3 courses entree, main's then desert. Neither of which I could fault except the quince paste on my cheese plate was a 'dollop' not the small portion controlled Maggie Bear style, but end of the day it served its purpose.

Normal cabin lighting remained on for another 2hrs after the meal service, during which amenity kits were offered. Its a laptop styled bag, featuring Nivea roll on deo, Bvlgari moisturiser & lip palm, ear plugs & eye mask. Shaving kit is available on request. Pyjamas are not available.

I used the 'turn down' service which turned my seat into a 'bed'. Similar to a mattress protector was put down which helped soften the feel of the seat followed by a duvet. I felt the duvet didn't breathe. Also the pillows lacked stuffing and felt like it was lacking something, quite small in size.

The lights slowly turned to a dark navy blue and then the starts appeared on the ceiling. I managed to sleep for 2hours. Breakfast was served on a tray with all that I had requested, except for the energiser juice that was forgotten. The bakery items were nicely warmed and weren't hard or stale as have experienced in the past on other services.

Landed into LAX early but had the congestion to the gate which took 40mins. My bad was 3rd off the belt and proceeded to Air Canada checkin for my flight to Vancouver. I'll post pictures shortly.

Last edited by dizliz88; Apr 18, 10 at 7:49 am Reason: Needed to complete post.

Search this Thread