Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

The Good Life Part II: The Westin Market St, Gary Danko’s, Las Vegas and SFO-MUC LH J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Good Life Part II: The Westin Market St, Gary Danko’s, Las Vegas and SFO-MUC LH J

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Talking The Good Life Part II: The Westin Market St, Gary Danko’s, Las Vegas and SFO-MUC LH J

I have to apologise in advance for Part II. Due to a combination of lack of sleep, too much partying, and forgetting the SLR camera all the time, the photos in this part are nowhere near as good or as comprehensive as in Part I.

Introduction
I love San Francisco! What a great city! Not only is it foodie heaven, it also boasts an eclectic nightlife, amazing scenery and great shopping.

After a fabulous stay at the Westin Sydney and a most enjoyable flight with Qantas to San Francisco I was eager to continue the trend by staying at The Westin Market St and hopping over the Atlantic with Lufthansa.

The Westin Market St
I was definitely spoilt in Sydney and to be honest , was a little let down when I stepped into my room on the 9th floor. Unfortunately, I don’t have SPG status, which means no upgrades so I’m sure the non-standard rooms are better.

At least the hotel is very central and the staff are friendly and helpful.

My most favouritest bed in the whole wide world! :-D

Gary Danko’s
I did a little research on the top restaurants in San Francisco before I left Australia and read some great reviews about Gary Danko. Knowing how important reservations are in the States I called (from Australia) one week in advance and got a table for one at 8pm on a Wednesday.

I arrived a bit early to a fully-packed restaurant, got a frown and the once over by the Maitre d’ and I gave him my name. He smiled and showed me to the bar saying that they would bring me to my table momentarily. I ordered a glass of Champagne and stood at the bar and observed the crowd. It was a sea of fur coats, business suits, diamond earrings, socialites and yuppies.

Feeling a little out of place, I continued to drink my Champagne and waited for my table. Twenty minutes had passed, my glass was empty and there was no table in sight. The Maitre d’ apologised for the delay and offered all the waiting patrons an Amuse Bouche of Caviar on a Buckwheat Blini, which was gorgeous.

Finally after thirty minutes I was shown to my table and was presented with a lovely glass of Egly-Ouriet, Grand Cru (Rose Champagne) as a further apology. I chose the three-course dinner and flicked my way through the very intimidating 50-page Wine List.

The Meal:

Foie Gras Dumpling

Seared Ahi Tuna with Avocado, Nori, Enoki Mushroms and Lemon Soy Dressing

Seared Filet of Beef with Spaetzle, Butternut Squash, Crimini Mushrooms, Bone Marrow Butter and Shallot Marmalade

Pre-dessert Dessert of Chocolate Mousse Tart with Espresso Ice Cream

Baked Chocolate Souffle with Two Sauces

Petit Fours

The food was accompanied by some fine Californian wines, notably a Sauvignon Blanc, Crocker and Starr 2008 from the Napa Valley, a Cabernet Sauvignon, Mout Eden Vineyards, Sana Cruz Mountains 2003, and a luscious dessert wine Rivesaltes Ambre 1998 from France.

I thoroughly enjoyed the meal and the service was impeccable. Highly recommendable for any food lover in San Francisco.

Las Vegas
By chance, a former work colleague of mine happened to be in San Francisco at the same time. She told me she was going to Las Vegas afterwards. I had been planning on a short trip somewhere and Las Vegas was on my list, so I went onto Expedia, found a Flight+Hotel package and booked it 12 hours before departing.

Details of the United SFO-LAS-SFO flight are sketchy. I remember getting on the plane and then getting off. This may have been due to copious amounts of alcohol in SF and lack of sleep in Las Vegas. Although I do recall paying extra for an Economy Plus seat on the way to Las Vegas and appreciated the extra leg room.

Oh look! I did take a picture before the flight! :-D

And another one!

The Strip

Last edited by QFBoy; Mar 11, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

The Signature by MGM Grand
This was my first trip to Vegas and I did a little research on hotels. I chose The Signature because it had good ratings and I didn’t feel like waiting an hour to check-in like at the other major hotels, and because it’s a little off the Strip, it would be more peaceful.

Well, I was certainly impressed by the Junior Suite on the 33rd floor! Incredibly spacious, comfortable bed and a jacuzzi ;-)

The Lobby

I thought Vegas was awesome! I know it’s tacky, flashy, fake and over-exaggerated but I guess that what makes it so appealing. For a holiday anyway....and as they say....

09 March 2010
LH459
SFO-MUC
A340-600
Seat: 3A

I checked in as soon as the Business desk opened and luckily had no problem with my 81kg of luggage (2 large suitcases and 2 carry-ons). I did some duty-free shopping (add 3kg) and headed into what can only be described as the worst airport lounge I have ever been to: The Red Carpet Club.

I didn’t bother taking any pictures in the event of blinding you from disgust. :-P I collected my two drink coupons and ordered two Vodka Tonics hoping they would help me fall asleep on the plane. I made my way over to the lavish buffet consisting of yoghurt-coated raisins, carrot and celery sticks and cubes of cheese, and whiled away a couple of hours watching TV series on my computer.

I didn’t hear the boarding call for my flight, but that coud have been the Vodka impairing my hearing, so I made my to the gate to find I was the last Business Class passenger to board. I stowed my two carry-ons and my duty free and settled into seat 3A, the first row of the business cabin.

Even though the cabin was only about half full, I got stuck next to a stern German business man, which is probably the reason I didn’t take more photos. I thought it might prevent his frown from growing any bigger and his eyebrows fusing into one big monobrow if I refrained from constantly snapping away with the camera.

The crew was very young, some of them younger than me probably! And although they were nice enough, it was noticeable that they lacked the finesse and experience of their SQ or QF counterparts.

Piper Heidsieck Champagne (more alcohol) was served before take off and pre-dinner drinks and nuts were served shortly after.

Campari OJ and Nuts

The Meal:

Smoked Trout Mousse, poached Leeks, Whole Grain Mustard Vinaigrette
Camembert, Manchego and Gorgonzola

Tenderloin of Pork, Apricot Rice Cake, Pommery Mustard Sauce, Vegetables

Tres Leches Cake, fresh Berries

After consuming two Vodka Tonics, a glass of Champagne, a Campari OJ, two glasses of Pinot Grigio, and a Bailey’s in the space of three hours I pretty much passed out on the angled lie-flat seat and had the longest and most comfortable sleep I have ever had on a plane. :-D Mmmm... alcohol seems to be the key to getting a good night’s sleep when flying! And of course a spacious seat ;-)

Many people loathe the angled lie-flat seat but I think they are fantastic! There are a million and one positions to choose from and I find it easy to get comfortable. There was definitely no „slide-age“ happening on this flight!

I woke up five-ish hours later, watched some TV, and then it was time to eat again!

Ham, Turkey Breast, Cheddar and Cream Cheese

Landing was smooth in MUC and it felt so good being back in Continental Europe after four months away. ☺

Last edited by QFBoy; Jan 23, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:42 pm

Very nice report. Did you get weird looks taking pics in Danko's? How big is your camera? Very interesting that you decided to quit your job and travel around the world. I think it's great that you're doing it now when you're younger. 10 years ago I spent a year traveling around the world. I didn't know about FlyerTalk back then. I wish I had done something like what you are planning.

I imagine you have put away some rainy day money. What made you decide to quit your job and do this, other than your love of food and travel? Many people would think you're crazy, doing that in this economic environment. If that's your passion though, then you know you'll be happier if you follow it.

Very nice blog BTW. You have a good eye for design. Your photos are very good and the layout is very attractive. I found the font size of the text to be a bit small and hard to read, but it's easy to change that in the browser.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:44 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Looking forward to your next TR and blog post! I dream to be in your position *drool*
Old Mar 31, 2010, 9:18 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BD*S, Hertz 5
Nice TR. Glad to see other people out there that don't mind a good feed and some drink.

Good to see that Vegas was huge.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Smile Crazy much? Yes!

Originally Posted by zitsky
Very nice report. Did you get weird looks taking pics in Danko's? How big is your camera? Very interesting that you decided to quit your job and travel around the world. I think it's great that you're doing it now when you're younger. 10 years ago I spent a year traveling around the world. I didn't know about FlyerTalk back then. I wish I had done something like what you are planning.

I imagine you have put away some rainy day money. What made you decide to quit your job and do this, other than your love of food and travel? Many people would think you're crazy, doing that in this economic environment. If that's your passion though, then you know you'll be happier if you follow it.

Very nice blog BTW. You have a good eye for design. Your photos are very good and the layout is very attractive. I found the font size of the text to be a bit small and hard to read, but it's easy to change that in the browser.
Thanks for your comments zitsky, they were very helpful! :-)

Gary Danko's was one of the many occasions I forgot to bring my SLR and only had my very compact, black Canon camera with me. Luckily, I had a table in the corner and made sure I was very inconspicuous (no flash) as not to disturb the fur-coat wearing, Mercedes-driving SF elite from their $1000 dinners! It also helped that the Dutch couple at the table next to me also took photos with their not-very-inconspicuous, ancient SLR camera. :-)

In reply to why I left my job to pursue a life as a "Food Blogger", all I can say is that I admit I'm crazy doing this right now, but dreams are meant to be chased and passions lived out. I have nothing to lose, except for $$$ and a couple of FF miles, both of which can be earned at any time, but if I don't do it then I'll regret it for the rest of my life. And I don't think I could live with that....

-The Young Foodie
Old Apr 1, 2010, 5:15 am

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Originally Posted by QFBoy

In reply to why I left my job to pursue a life as a "Food Blogger", all I can say is that I admit I'm crazy doing this right now, but dreams are meant to be chased and passions lived out. I have nothing to lose, except for $$$ and a couple of FF miles, both of which can be earned at any time, but if I don't do it then I'll regret it for the rest of my life. And I don't think I could live with that....

-The Young Foodie
Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed reading your trip report, and wish you all the best for your future writings!
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:58 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
This is awesome -- great work. I really think you have a future in this, and wish you every success, for these trip reports are really very good. What are your next steps (geographically, and practically)?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 8:56 pm

Nice trip report and blog. Thanks for sharing!
Old Apr 2, 2010, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vla
This is awesome -- great work. I really think you have a future in this, and wish you every success, for these trip reports are really very good. What are your next steps (geographically, and practically)?
Thanks vla!! I'm going to give it a shot anyway. ;-)

Well I'm going to base myself in Salzburg, Austria where I live now, which is pretty central to do European trips and then just do some longer haul trips, probably 3-4 this year, depending on what's on and which countries I choose. There are a lot of Food Festivals on in Europe in September so I'll definitely be going to those. :-)

Let me know if I'm in your neighbourhood and we'll get a bite to eat! ;-)

-The Young Foodie
Old Apr 2, 2010, 4:54 am

Programs: LH FTL, Marriott Plat
Delicious!

Enjoyed the 2nd part of your report!

Promising blog too!

-tom
Old Apr 2, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Nice report QFBoy! The food looked amazing in SF!
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat
Nice report. Love the epicurean focus! I've subscribed to your blog and look forward to reading future posts.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Great photos! you sure the life!
Old Apr 3, 2010, 8:21 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
There are a lot of Food Festivals on in Europe in September so I'll definitely be going to those.
One event you should keep in mind if you aren't already aware of it, is the annual Taste of London festival in Regent's Park (partnership with BA). http://www.tastefestivals.com/london. I've NEVER gone because it's close to my dad's birthday and I'm always abroad, but it is universally lauded. Tickets go quickly, and have been on sale for a couple of weeks.

And everyone should check out http://www.moolis.com. Not as distinctive as Gary Danko's but they get everything right: concept, food, design, and cyber-presence/back-story. Good chaps.

Oh yeah, hit me up if you're coming to London!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.