Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

UA for a gorgeous day in SF, with Cartier bling at the Legion of Honor

Old Mar 29, 10, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold

Well here it is my first TR, and a very mini-one. Sorry no pics in this one, just a little narrative of what I did, and what others might do. As a day-trip with no overnight, this might be of more interest to those on the West Coast within somewhat easy striking distance of the city, but anyone who's going to be there soon from wherever may find it interesting too.

Anyhow, I needed just a very quick getaway from LA to refresh my MP account, and San Francisco was the ideal destination as it's only an hour's flying time, plus I have an old friend who recently moved back there and it was a chance to get caught up. So plans were made, our agenda was simply to meet at her place and go out to the Legion of Honor Museum in Lincoln Park. Frrom my days of living there in the 90's, I recall it as a very special spot.

Morning flight up was uneventful, but packed. Arrived to the most glorious sunshine and crystal skies, clear clean air with a light breeze. On a day like that, the city has few peers for most beautiful in the USA.

Took BART from the airport into Union Square, it worked like a dream. From there we drove out to the Legion, which also happens to be the most spectacularly sited such institution in the country IMHO -- views in every direction through tall trees, over the city, the Bay, GG bridge and the headlands beyond, and finally the Pacific itself. It's a treat just to be there.
You can check them out at www.legionofhonor.org.

Inside, I hade known they had an exhibit on called Cartier and America, and figured we would have a peek in. What I wasn't prepared for was the grandeur and opulence of the pieces on display -- and how huge it was. We ended up spending more than half our time there, punctuated by lunch in the heavenly outside cafe garden; and strolled through the European paintings later. They have some very, very lovely things as the city's prime museum of European art. If you do go to it however, be warned that it is very FAR from downtown SF, a taxi or rental car the best option for most visitors; but it is an interesting drive out through the Avenues, you get to see how real San Franciscans live.

After all that, it was back to the center, and back on BART again -- a perfect day. Plane was again packed, this time I had opted for the E plus seat and glad I did, need to stretch out after hours on my feet. No problems with UA at all, altho I do think they could have offered at least coffee on the return flight -- all we got was water.

Search this Thread