Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Asia on a Whim: Cathay First, American First, GH Bali, IC Bali, Andaz, and more!

Asia on a Whim: Cathay First, American First, GH Bali, IC Bali, Andaz, and more!

Old Mar 18, 10, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thumbs up Asia on a Whim: Cathay First, American First, GH Bali, IC Bali, Andaz, and more!

Hi Folks:

Just got back from an incredible trip with my brother to Bali using AAdvantage miles for Cathay Pacific first class and American Flagship Service first class. We stayed at the Andaz Wall Street, Grand Hyatt Bali, InterContinental Bali, Hyatt Regency Sha Tin Hong Kong.

I'll be working on a detailed trip report, which I'll be uploading to my blog. I'm hoping to post one installment per day. I'll update the links below as the various parts go "live."

Introduction
TPA-MIA-JFK on American with a visit to the MIA Flagship Lounge
The Andaz Wall Street
JFK-SFO on American Flagship Service with a visit to the JFK Flagship Lounge
SFO-HKG on Cathay Pacific with a visit to the BA F lounge
The Wing and HKG-DPS on Cathay Pacific
The Grand Hyatt Bali
The InterContinental Bali
DPS-HKG on Cathay Pacific
The Hyatt Regency Hong Kong Sha Tin
The Wing and HKG-SFO on Cathay Pacific
SFO-JFK-MIA-TPA on American

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by lucky9876coins; Apr 6, 10 at 4:08 pm
Old Mar 19, 10, 12:01 am

Looking forward to reading it Lucky.
Old Mar 19, 10, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Pleb, VS Red, SPG Gold, Hertz, Avis, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Looking forward to it Ben! Especially your comparison of AA Flagship and UA P.S.
Old Mar 19, 10, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins View Post
Hi Folks:

Just got back from an incredible trip with my brother to Bali using AAdvantage miles for Cathay Pacific first class and American Flagship Service first class. We stayed at the Andaz Wall Street, Grand Hyatt Bali, InterContinental Bali, Hyatt Regency Sha Tin Hong Kong.

I'll be working on a detailed trip report, which I'll be uploading to my blog. I'm hoping to post one installment per day. I'll update the links below as the various parts go "live."

Introduction
TPA-MIA-JFK on American with a visit to the MIA Flagship Lounge
The Andaz Wall Street
JFK-SFO on American Flagship Service with a visit to the JFK Flagship Lounge
SFO-HKG on Cathay Pacific with a visit to the BA F lounge
The Wing and HKG-DPS on Cathay Pacific
The Grand Hyatt Bali
The InterContinental Bali
DPS-HKG on Cathay Pacific
The Hyatt Regency Hong Kong Sha Tin
The Wing and HKG-SFO on Cathay Pacific
SFO-JFK-MIA-TPA on American

Thanks for reading!

Looking forward to reading it, sounds very exciting

Last edited by dakosta; Aug 5, 10 at 4:42 pm
Old Mar 19, 10, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks folks! Part two is now up. Expect part three late tonight or early tomorrow.
Old Mar 19, 10, 4:48 pm

Programs: BMI & BA
Up to your usual standard Lucky. Looking forward to the remaining parts.
Old Mar 19, 10, 8:27 pm

Agree

I definitely agree with you regarding American Airlines' Next Generation Business Class. The seats are awful when in sleeping position.

Look forward to the rest of your report!

Carfield
Old Mar 19, 10, 9:43 pm

I know which snack I would prefer
Old Mar 20, 10, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, MR Plat, Hertz PC, TR Diam
Nice start to your TR! I have a question about the lounge in MIA: is it just me or do I get the impression that the lounge is really small? However, the food and beverage looks spectacular there! I look forward to seeing more of your TR on subsquent updates! Thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 20, 10, 11:47 am

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Thanks for the trip report! I got my dad to switch his business in nyc from the Millenium Hilton to the Andaz Wall Street based on your review. He actually had a very friendly check in staff who immediately informed him of all the Hyatt Diamond benefits.
Old Mar 20, 10, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the kind words, folks! Part three is now live, and part four will probably be up tonight or tomorrow morning.

Originally Posted by IADtoWhere View Post
Thanks for the trip report! I got my dad to switch his business in nyc from the Millenium Hilton to the Andaz Wall Street based on your review. He actually had a very friendly check in staff who immediately informed him of all the Hyatt Diamond benefits.
Happy to hear he had a good experience. Hopefully my check-in experience was an anomaly, or at the very least they're working on improving the service a bit.
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284 View Post
Nice start to your TR! I have a question about the lounge in MIA: is it just me or do I get the impression that the lounge is really small? However, the food and beverage looks spectacular there! I look forward to seeing more of your TR on subsquent updates! Thanks for sharing.
Yes, the lounge was indeed tiny, and during peak times nearly every seat seems to be taken. The food and drinks make it worth it, though, in comparison to the Admirals Club.
Old Mar 21, 10, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins View Post
Andaz Wall Street ... The rate was $250, which, while steep ...
Definitely not a New Yorker
Old Mar 21, 10, 11:48 am
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Looking forward to the rest. Agree with you about what is a snack on AA vs what passes for one on UA.

Ever since I became EXP, I came to realize that AA has perhaps the best domestic F catering of all the legacy airlines, especially transcon flights. I've been doing SFO-MIA and vv. quite frequently as of late and on those flights AA still bothers to have a full sundae cart service with a proper coffee set and offer an additional choice of fruit/cheese plate. UA is very cheap compared to AA when it comes to food.
Old Mar 21, 10, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickW View Post
Definitely not a New Yorker
Nice selective quoting. Right after that I say "given the purpose of our stay." I'd say $250 is quite expensive when the simple purpose is an airport overnight. By New York standards it is quite cheap. And I am from New York....
Originally Posted by aw View Post
Looking forward to the rest. Agree with you about what is a snack on AA vs what passes for one on UA.

Ever since I became EXP, I came to realize that AA has perhaps the best domestic F catering of all the legacy airlines, especially transcon flights. I've been doing SFO-MIA and vv. quite frequently as of late and on those flights AA still bothers to have a full sundae cart service with a proper coffee set and offer an additional choice of fruit/cheese plate. UA is very cheap compared to AA when it comes to food.
I've gotten that impression as well. No doubt AA catering is very good!
Old Mar 21, 10, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Pleb, VS Red, SPG Gold, Hertz, Avis, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
I just finished reading your latest flight. I fly JFK-SFO once a month and love the service for all the reasons you just mentioned.

Looks like someone likes AA FS more then UA p.s.

Search this Thread