FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/)
-   -   LONDON - VS Upper Class / CO BusinessFirst; Claridge’s Hotel (Lots of Pics) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1060275-london-vs-upper-class-co-businessfirst-claridge-s-hotel-lots-pics.html)

ray1022 Mar 12, 2010 12:56 pm

Please see below for car rates from Claridge's to Heathrow (all rates for the new shape S-Class unless otherwise noted):

iChauffeur (company which I used):

S-Class: 85 GBP + 17.5% VAT = approximately 100 GBP (this is the car we booked)

Other companies which I received quotes from are as follows:

Claridge's Hotel:
E-Class: 97 GBP (not sure if this includes VAT)
S-Class: 134 GBP (not sure if this includes VAT)

Tristar:
S-Class: approximately 140 GBP (includes VAT)

Addison Lee (Premier Service): - received this quote after I already booked, otherwise probably would have booked with them:
E-Class: 79.50 GBP (includes VAT)
S-Class: 86.95 GBP (includes VAT)

London Heathrow Cars:
S-Class: 89 GBP (includes VAT)
E-Class (older shape): 64 GBP (includes VAT)

Hope this helps! Overall, we were very pleased with ichauffeur, although they were slightly more expensive than some of the others. Cars did include bottled water, sodas, magazines, newspapers, etc. I would compare them to an EmpireCLS, Carey, or Dav EL in the US. There may be cheaper companies other than those that I listed, but all depends on what you are looking for.

Buster CT1K Mar 12, 2010 7:07 pm

This is a very fine trip report indeed. Thank you for sharing.

hoyateach Mar 13, 2010 9:04 pm

Excellent report. Enjoyed the pictures very much.

mjcewl1284 Mar 14, 2010 12:10 am

I love the pictures you took of the ST lounge in LHR! Thanks for sharing!

tomashi Mar 16, 2010 8:11 am

nice report! love the interior design of the VS clubhouse at JFK!

I always wondered how CO can get away with flying 757s with old C-seats on such a competitive premium route!

thomas199023 Mar 16, 2010 2:04 pm

Great TR!

camsean Mar 16, 2010 11:19 pm

Thanks for taking the time to write.

Bretteee Mar 17, 2010 12:04 am

I noticed that most CO flights to London are on 757s. I am going to London next week on CO but in Y and the food is among the worst. They make the minimum effort in Y.

Thanks for the great pictures. If you don't mind my asking. How much is a room at the Connaught? I am guessing at least $600 a night now that the pound has depreciated by 30%?

meester69 Mar 17, 2010 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bretteee (Post 13591199)
I noticed that most CO flights to London are on 757s. I am going to London next week on CO but in Y and the food is among the worst. They make the minimum effort in Y.

Thanks for the great pictures. If you don't mind my asking. How much is a room at the Connaught? I am guessing at least $600 a night now that the pound has depreciated by 30%?

The depreciating pound makes hotels cheaper for US$ holders....

botham Mar 20, 2010 2:30 pm

When travelling upper class on VS pax used to enjoy a free chauffeured transfer within a 40 mile radius. Is this not the case now?

Thanks for the report.

ray1022 Mar 20, 2010 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by botham (Post 13614331)
When travelling upper class on VS pax used to enjoy a free chauffeured transfer within a 40 mile radius. Is this not the case now?

Thanks for the report.

Not all Upper Class fares qualify for the chauffeur service, unfortunately.

kniesel Mar 20, 2010 4:47 pm

Was this flight a couple of months ago?
CO using the Sky Team lounges after they joined *A?

Co J and status members are missing out now that they moved across!

ray1022 Mar 20, 2010 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by kniesel (Post 13614998)
Was this flight a couple of months ago?
CO using the Sky Team lounges after they joined *A?

Co J and status members are missing out now that they moved across!

No, the flight was end of February and they were part of Star Alliance. At check-in they even said that even though CO is no longer part of Sky Team, they are still using their lounge at Terminal 4.

Steph3n Mar 21, 2010 12:36 pm

CO is moving to all lie flat to LHR After June 1:

Continental Airlines Announces Additional New York - Heathrow Flights for Summer, Winter 2010
All Heathrow flights to feature new BusinessFirst flat bed seat from June
HOUSTON, Jan 29, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL) announced today that it will increase its schedule of flights between its New York hub at Newark Liberty International Airport and London/Heathrow, during 2010. The airline will add a fourth daily service to the route in March and a fifth daily service in October, bringing the total number of Continental daily departures to Heathrow to seven, including its twice-daily service from Houston.

In addition, Continental announced that effective June 1, 2010 all aircraft scheduled for Heathrow flights will feature new, flat bed seats in BusinessFirst.

"New York-Heathrow is a flagship route for Continental. As the leading airline in the New York market, we are excited about introducing these schedule and product improvements for our New York-London travelers," said Jeff Smisek, the airline's chairman, president and chief executive officer. "All our New York-London customers will benefit from more flight options, while those traveling to London in BusinessFirst - whether from New York or Houston -- will be assured of a flat bed seat whenever they choose to fly with us."

All American Flyer Mar 22, 2010 11:06 pm

Nice report! Virgin is in another class from CO but CO still sounds quite nice