Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Golden State Quickie

A Golden State Quickie

Old Feb 19, 10, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
A Golden State Quickie

Tour of Duty 26th to 27th January 2010

Got word of a truck that needed to be moved from Santa Fe Springs, CA to Fresno, CA. I ended up hiring a taxi to Santa Fe Springs and made the pickup during the rain.

Trip: Santa Fe Springs, CA to Fresno, CA Actual distance 399km
Routes: Interstate 605 to Interstate 5 to California 99
Maximum elevation: 4,144 feet at Tejon Pass on Interstate 5 in CA one mile south of the Los Angeles/Kern County Line.
No fuel purchased on this trip
Permits required: none

This was a short trip and I had the expectation that I would be going to get another truck at the same shipper going to Stockton, CA. I got started in the rain and the rain quit while I was stuck in traffic in the Los Angeles area. It took 3 hours driving to get from Santa Fe Springs to Castaic where I made a pit stop and had evening rations. I spent the night in Bakersfield, CA

Next day was cool and mostly cloudy with a little sun late. I stopped in Traver, CA for a Tri Tip sandwich then up to Fresno where I made delivery. I found out the truck for Stockton was not released. I hired a taxi to the Amtrak station in downtown Fresno and purchased a ticket for Anaheim.

Amtrak San Joaquin #716 Fresno-Bakersfield Scheduled departure 17h20,
actual 17h22 Scheduled arrival 19h26, actual 19h12

I had no problems checking two bags in Fresno. This train was late arriving to Fresno. Intermediate stops were made in Hanford, Corcoran and Wasco. I purchased a Cheeseburger from the Snack Car. We arrived early into Bakersfield.

Amtrak Bus Thruway #5816 Bakersfield-Los Angeles Union Station
Scheduled departure 19h30, actual 19h31 Scheduled arrival 21h50, actual
21h30

This bus was not full with only a handful of passengers. I was summoned as Amtrak personnel had a conniption that one of my checked bags had tools in them. The personnel took my claim checks and baggage tags and I had to put the bags under the bus and claim them and carry them on the next train. There was some rain on the north side of the Grapevine and a warning sign said "Dense Fog Advisory" but there was no fog. We made good time into Los Angeles.

Amtrak Pacific Surfliner #796 Los Angeles Union Station-Anaheim
Scheduled departure 22h10, actual 22h13 Scheduled arrival 22h49,
actual 22h52

This train made one intermediate stop in Fullerton. As mentioned earlier I carried on bags I otherwise would have had to check. I purchased a Cheese/Crackers snack tray and a Pepsi from the Snack Car. We arrived three minutes late and I hired a taxi to get home.

END OF POST
Old Feb 20, 10, 12:02 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Have you ever heard why Amtrak doesn't have a rail link between Bakersfield and Los Angeles?

Last time I rode the San Joaquin, we hit a truck outside of Fresno and had to be bussed in the rest of the way. It wasn't Amtrak's fault - the driver of the truck was drunk and stalled out on the tracks. Thankfully she got out in time. Good thing too - that truck was wrapped around the front of the locomotive.
Old Feb 20, 10, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
Have you ever heard why Amtrak doesn't have a rail link between Bakersfield and Los Angeles?

Last time I rode the San Joaquin, we hit a truck outside of Fresno and had to be bussed in the rest of the way. It wasn't Amtrak's fault - the driver of the truck was drunk and stalled out on the tracks. Thankfully she got out in time. Good thing too - that truck was wrapped around the front of the locomotive.
I don't know why there is no train link between Bakersfield and Los Angeles but my educated guess is the terrain between those two cities. Instead there is the Amtrak Thruway Bus. However to get on the Amtrak Thruway Bus you must either connect to and/or from a segment that is train.
Old Feb 20, 10, 9:01 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Why did they have a conniption about the tools?
Old Feb 20, 10, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paint Horse View Post
Why did they have a conniption about the tools?
Beats me.
Old Feb 20, 10, 2:38 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
You're right about the terrain, though I'm surprised given some of the lands conquered by railroads in other parts of the world. I just checked an old 1958 Santa Fe schedule for The Golden State and even then, the train only went as far south as Bakersfield. It was possible to go by rail between Bakersfield and Los Angeles, but it involved a lengthy connection in Barstow and a long climb up and over the Tehachapi Summit.
Old Feb 20, 10, 8:07 pm

Someone came to Fresno???? I wasn't here at that time but I hope u enjoyed ur trip.
Old Feb 20, 10, 8:43 pm

I used to come down to Fresno all the time, whenever I'd come out of Kings Canyon to restock for my next excursion into the Sierras. I actually like the town, especially a cold beer at Butterfields Brewery in the Tower District. There's a great Basque restaurant across the street from the train station as well.
Old Feb 20, 10, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chanp View Post
Someone came to Fresno???? I wasn't here at that time but I hope u enjoyed ur trip.
As I said...it was a quickie.
Old Mar 6, 10, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
There's a great Basque restaurant across the street from the train station as well.
When I was visiting my mom last November (I'm a native of Fres-NO!), she told me that the people who ran the Santa Fe Hotel restaurant had moved to Maroa and Shields (about 3 miles+ north). I don't remember if she mentioned whether someone else had taken over the hotel/restaurant across from the Amtrak depot.

When I was a kid, there were several Basque places in the Downtown-Chinatown area of Fresno - I remember the Hotel Yturri (sp) which was a couple of blocks from the Santa Fe Hotel, on P Street, and the old Fresno Basque, which was at F Street and Mariposa in Chinatown (I'm sure that both of those are long gone).
Old Mar 7, 10, 12:56 am

Programs: SPG Plat, UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond
nice trip report

Search this Thread