Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

MTY to JFK via Mexicana

MTY to JFK via Mexicana

Old Feb 16, 10, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

MTY to JFK via Mexicana

This is my first trip report, but I just had to write about my first experience with Mexicana de Aviacion.

I arrived at MTY for my 7:00a DL flight to ATL connecting to my flight to RDU. As I approached the DL counter I knew there was a problem. The line was very long and moving slowly. After about a 35 minute wait it was my turn. The flight to ATL was delayed for 2 hours and I was going to miss my connection to RDU. The agent typed for awhile and said she could put me on a Mexicana flight to JFK and a Comair flight from JFK to RDU. I accepted. After what seemed to be at least 25 minutes, she finally was able to make the changes to my ticket and asked me to go to the Mexicana counter with my DL documents and MX would issue me a boarding pass for their 9:30 flight to JFK. After waiting about 5 minutes I had my boarding pass in hand and went to grab some Starbucks and a few smokes outside.

The MTY-JFK flight is on an A-319 and it pulled into the gate about 40 minutes before departure. There were not many people at the gate so I figured the flight wasn't full. They boarded the plane in rows and low and behold people actually listened and boarded when called.

This plane looked brand new, it was spotless. I was seated in the exit row window. Before pushback, pillows and blankets were offered, I almost passed out. Once airbourne, the attendents offered packets of antibacterial gel which I thought was a good alternative to hot towels. There was a drink pass with complimentary alcohol if you so desired. Then a hot breakfast with 2 choices, I opted for the scrambled eggs with mushrooms, beans with cheese, fruit and a roll. Then another drink pass through, then coffe was offered and a pass through for water. I was totally impressed with the service Mexicana offered their coach class customers.

I wish I could have gotten a seat in first, but they had the curtain closed the entire flight so I could not see the service up front.

All good things had to come to an end after landing at JFK. The crowds, the lines, the uninterested people, the problems with my ticket to get my DL boarding pass and dreaded gate 25 in terminal 3. The Comair sinkhole, though we were only 55 minutes late.

I wanted all to know how impressed I was with Mexicana's product.......if you have a chance fly them and I hope you will be as impressed as I was.

Also I have asked DL to comp me the miles and segment I lost by flying on Mexicana, what are my chances in getting that?

Have a great day, btw the Rayados beat the Tigres 2-1 !!!!!!! Yahooo
Old Feb 16, 10, 10:16 pm

Read that the legroom is only 30" on the A319. True? Link to SEATGURU below.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Mex...nformation.php

Last edited by Bretteee; Feb 17, 10 at 2:44 pm
Old Feb 17, 10, 6:20 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by Bretteee View Post
Read that the legroom is only 30". True?
Yikes!
Old Feb 25, 10, 4:54 pm

Probably untrue, minimum seat pitch on MX is 32 inches. I've flown on A320's and A319s and this seems to be certainly true.

Not so much cause they're nice, but because of the altitude at Mexico City, airlines usually don't pack in their planes too much at risk of making them more prone to weight restrictions.

Search this Thread