Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

BMW Munich Factory Tour - exclusive photos

Old Jan 9, 10, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

Many visitors to Germany take a BMW or Mercedes (or Audi or Porsche) factory tour, esp. those who are doing tourist/overseas delivery of a car.

Follow along on my tour of the BMW Werk München (BMW Munich Factory) with my own photos illustrating the process (since photography is normally Verboten, this is rare footage).

Click here for the full tour.

Old Jan 9, 10, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jspira View Post
since photography is normally Verboten,
1) Are these bootleg or sanctioned photos?

2) How many new units did you bring back to the States?

3) Pix?
Old Jan 9, 10, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sonofzeus View Post
They were taken with permission, if that is what you meant.

2) How many new units did you bring back to the States?
1 at a time, at a rate of 1 every 1.4 years recently

3) Pix?
Beyond what was linked?
Old Jan 10, 10, 4:58 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Trip Reports Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 10, 10, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
I took the BMW tour in 06 when I went to Germany and picked up my 330i with the ZHP package. It was a great trip to blast down the autobaun in the car. Next year (2011) I'll be doing it again in a 535GT. So which model did you get?

Many visitors to Germany take a BMW or Mercedes (or Audi or Porsche) factory tour, esp. those who are doing tourist/overseas delivery of a car.

Follow along on my tour of the BMW Werk München (BMW Munich Factory) with my own photos illustrating the process (since photography is normally Verboten, this is rare footage).

Click here for the full tour.

Old Jan 10, 10, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1 at a time, at a rate of 1 every 1.4 years recently

Beyond what was linked?
Pix of your imported rides.
Old Jan 10, 10, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
I took the BMW tour in 06 when I went to Germany and picked up my 330i with the ZHP package. It was a great trip to blast down the autobaun in the car. Next year (2011) I'll be doing it again in a 535GT. So which model did you get?
I got a 335d. Enjoy your next European Delivery! Where are you going to drive the 535i GT to?

Last edited by jspira; Jan 10, 10 at 10:50 am
Old Jan 10, 10, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Pix of your imported rides.
Oh of course - I guess it was past my bedtime.

There a lot of photos in several articles in The Diesel Driver under Diesel Grand Touring.
Old Jan 10, 10, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
When I took this tour in 2008, photos were strictly forbidden.
Old Jan 10, 10, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFflyer123 View Post
I've never taken the tour. Friends report pix are a no-no at the S. Carolina facility.
Old Jan 10, 10, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
I am thinking about doing the tour on my May trip to Munich.

How long does it last?
Old Jan 10, 10, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

I've never taken the tour. Friends report pix are a no-no at the S. Carolina facility.
Nothing new. BMW (and other car makers) have always forbidden photos on tours, for several reasons including trade secrets around the mfr. process and the possibility that there might be a yet-to-be-introduced model around.
Old Jan 10, 10, 4:23 pm

Nothing new. BMW (and other car makers) have always forbidden photos on tours, for several reasons including trade secrets around the mfr. process and the possibility that there might be a yet-to-be-introduced model around.
I don't want to seem like we're harshing on you, but I think we're just more curious. If nobody else can take photos, how is that you have permission to take these photos and post them on the internet? It seems strange that BMW will let nobody else take photos of their plant, yet for your website, they will give you permission to do this and post all the photos on the internet. I think we're just curious how you got permission, that's all.
Old Jan 10, 10, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

I don't want to seem like we're harshing on you, but I think we're just more curious. If nobody else can take photos, how is that you have permission to take these photos and post them on the internet? It seems strange that BMW will let nobody else take photos of their plant, yet for your website, they will give you permission to do this and post all the photos on the internet. I think we're just curious how you got permission, that's all.
That's fine - I don't mind the question but no need to beat around the bush. I prefer the direct approach.

First, just to give a drop of background on the pictures, I took them on the opening day of the BMW Welt on 17.10.2007 (I was fortunate enough to be invited by BMW AG to attend and it was an incredible day). With the opening of the BMW Welt, BMW revamped its factory tour and held the first official tour the afternoon of opening day (which naturally I signed up for), intended for members of the media.

(I should add that I was also the first customer to take delivery at the BMW Welt, when deliveries started on 23.10.2007 but that's a different story line.)

Prior to the tour, I requested and received permission to take photos (my full-time job is chief analyst at Basex but I have had this marvelous slash-career writing about automobiles and travel for the past half decade as well).

I really didn't know what to do with the photos (just to throw them up on the Net was not really the best treatment for them) but when a colleague (editor of another travel magazine) of mine pointed out that he had missed going on the factory tour in Munich, he indirectly gave me the idea to write a piece about how my 335d was built and, since I already had the (officially sanctioned) photos of the factory, it then was a no brainer.

I'm sure this is more than you really wanted as an answer but I didn't want to omit anything and there are no secrets involved either.
Old Jan 10, 10, 5:01 pm

Prior to the tour, I requested and received permission to take photos .
Thank you. Sorry if it seemed like we gave you a hard time. It really is more with curiosity--not accusation--that we ask. When I was there, I would have loved to have taken videos of those robots building those cars. That was just amazing. It was just a shame I could only take photos from the outside. I have been to the Munich plant, but I really want to go to Dusseldorf where the 5's are built! Have you been to the Dusseldorf plant?

Search this Thread