FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/)
-   -   First class to AKL with EK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1031740-first-class-akl-ek.html)

17thousandkm Dec 24, 2009 8:30 pm

First class to AKL with EK

Just arrived in AKL from MEL. Travelled in First with EK for the first time, on the A340-500 in a private suite.

Have to say, not really worth it for the short (3.5 hour) flight but I did make every effort to extract maximum possible value for money, getting well and truly stuck into the Dom and removing from the suite (and FC loo) pretty much everything not fastened down.

On a long-haul night-time flight I reckon the suite would be absolutely lovely as it's cosy, private and has a lie flat bed.

There is room for improvement though, I would have liked to see some less fussy options on the a-la-carte breakfast menu: individual items such as eggs, bacon, grilled tomato etc would have been nice, rather than the fusspot combinations they offer.

Also, EK could have got major brownie points by noting that I'd ordered a GF special meal and taking the initiative to place gluten free snacks in the snack basket, rather than just the standard ones which were almost all unsuitable.

freofan Dec 25, 2009 4:24 am

Originally Posted by 17thousandkm (Post 13050778)
Just arrived in AKL from MEL. Travelled in First with EK for the first time, on the A340-500 in a private suite.

Have to say, not really worth it for the short (3.5 hour) flight but I did make every effort to extract maximum possible value for money, getting well and truly stuck into the Dom and removing from the suite (and FC loo) pretty much everything not fastened down.

On a long-haul night-time flight I reckon the suite would be absolutely lovely as it's cosy, private and has a lie flat bed.

There is room for improvement though, I would have liked to see some less fussy options on the a-la-carte breakfast menu: individual items such as eggs, bacon, grilled tomato etc would have been nice, rather than the fusspot combinations they offer.

Also, EK could have got major brownie points by noting that I'd ordered a GF special meal and taking the initiative to place gluten free snacks in the snack basket, rather than just the standard ones which were almost all unsuitable.

Hmm me thinks that your statement of taking everything not fastened down explains your belief that things on the menu were 'fussy'

anat0l Dec 25, 2009 5:11 am

I don't get what you mean by "fussy" (or in this case, "less fussy" and "fusspot combinations"). What was on the menu?

I can't think of one airline that would do this.

I think QF might have gluten free friands in First class for snacks (this is a standard option), but I could be wrong here. I guess fruit is always gluten free.

17thousandkm Dec 25, 2009 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by anat0l (Post 13051631)
I don't get what you mean by "fussy" (or in this case, "less fussy" and "fusspot combinations"). What was on the menu?

By "fussy" I meant that they couldn't just serve scrambled eggs, it had to have something on it (I think it was chives) and was served with fried potatoes, and some sort of sauce. I'd rather just be able to make up my own hot breakfast choosing from the basic options such as bacon, eggs, tomatoes etc.

Re your assertion that you can't think of an airline that would offer GF snacks: 1. It's not as hard to do as you'd think - there are a multitude of companies offering GF snack bars and cookies etc these days.

It's not even necessary to source "special" GF items either. EK could have offered ordinary salted crisps which are GF but instead put in Pringles which are not :rolleyes: A Cadbury Dairy Milk bar is GF but EK gave me a Mars bar which is not :rolleyes:

2. If it's meant to be a First class experience, isn't that what you should expect to get - and be treated as an individual rather than just another self-loading cargo in Economy?

17thousandkm Dec 25, 2009 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by freofan (Post 13051580)
Hmm me thinks that your statement of taking everything not fastened down explains your belief that things on the menu were 'fussy'

You can take a girl out of Economy but you can't take the Economy out of the girl :D

i7654 Jan 2, 2010 12:51 pm

One of the funniest things ive read on FT, thanks