Antarctica Trip Report Dec 2009 [Extensive Photos]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Antarctica Trip Report Dec 2009 [Extensive Photos]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:57 am

Great report, thanks for sharing
Should be moved to TR section so that others can enjoy it too.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Post a link in the "Trip Reports" section.

Originally Posted by Mynameismud
Great report, thanks for sharing
Should be moved to TR section so that others can enjoy it too.
+1. This is a rare and unique trip report. I really enjoyed it. You should post a link to it in the "Trip reports" section so others can enjoy it. I only clicked on antartica because I was bored; otherwise, there is no way I would have clicked on it. But many people read the trip reports all the time, so it would be good to post a link there.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:43 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Great TR - thanks.

I can only endorse the OPs TR as I have just returned home from another Quark voyage (Epic Antatctica on the Russian icebreaker).

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but as the Kapitan Khlebnikov (the icebreaker) is finishing in Antarctic waters in a years time, I recommend anyone who is thinking of such a trip to get in quick. No other tourist ship can get to where the icebreaker goes and after its gone, thats the end of tourist voyages in some areas (eg Phantom Coast, Ross Ice Shelf, McMurdo Base etc).

The only issue is that the icebreaker gives a really rough ride due to its (lack of) stability. Bring those sea sick drugs!
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:48 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
being sick has it's advantages - I finally finished going through some of my pictures from this Antarctica voyage. I only had a simple point and shoot and had to do the whole thing lower quality so the size would fit on youtube, but for what it's worth, here it is.

Words can never express the beauty and majesty of the ice, but this is my attempt to try:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhT_us8MmLc
Old May 18, 2013, 12:16 pm

Wow! amazing trip
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:38 pm

thanks for sharing. one day in the near future, I'll head down there as well
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Fortunately, Deception Island is a caldera / crater, and the area near the settlement has warm springs that make the water warmer than out in the open ocean; the water there can literally be below freezing, as the salt content keeps the water liquid below 0 C / 32 F.

The actual temperature of the open seas outside Deception Island are actually 28-29 degrees Fahrenheit (-2.2° to -1.6° C), so immersion in Deception's caldera offers a unique opportunity.

We're moving this great trip report - an oldie but a goodie that has been kept alive by the denizens of the Antarctica Forum - to the Trip Reports Forum with a permanent link from the Antarctica Forum so more members can enjoy this splendid effort; be sure to follow the OP's link to his travel photos - more eye candy!

JDiver
senior moderator
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:30 pm

Great report and photos. The "Polar Plunge" alone was worth the trip!!! ^
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
After reading your report you've confirmed my suspicions...... flying over Antarctica on the Qantas new years flights would just be a big fat tease!! I've long thought of going here, I'm a bit worried about the long sea trip but would go for the beauty of the ice, and the wildlife are the 2 biggies. Kayaking sounds like fun though - I like doing that on an average day. Wonder if I can convince the other half.....
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
Glad this got moved for more to see! Awesome report!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Amazing photos!
Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:19 pm

Was this quark? What is the name of the ship?

Was it very cold?

What must one wear? Long Johns?

I think the shipping companies give you a jacket?

Thanks.

I would like to do this one day. But it's very expensive. $10,000 + I believe.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by Bretteee
Was this quark? What is the name of the ship?

Was it very cold?

What must one wear? Long Johns?

I think the shipping companies give you a jacket?

Thanks.

I would like to do this one day. But it's very expensive. $10,000 + I believe.
Yes, it was with Quark on the MV Lyubov Orlov, which has since been retired. I went in late November which is the beginning of their tourist season. Later in the season more of the snow melts and you see more actual land. I'm glad I went in November. The temperatures were around 32-36F. Not too cold. I did bring thermals, but didn't need to wear them every day. There was an option to purchase a jacket fro Quark, but I already had one so I didn't. Prices vary depending on the exact trip, but prices start around $5,000. Totally worth it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.