Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA x-country mileage run blog 05 DEC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2009, 4:50 am
Original Poster

UA x-country mileage run blog 05 DEC

Hello out there. I've been a long time subscriber to ft and i'll be honest... Probably more of a leech than anything else. Today, i start to give back. I'm doing my first ever pure mileage run today. DCA-ORD-DEN-LAX-SJC-LAX-SAN-IAD. I'll post more of the details later today. I decided to travel light - so only the blackberry - which makes things a bit more difficult (i.e. Accessing anything on united's website). Wish me luck, i'll keep you in the loop.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 5:22 am
Original Poster

So, these days i live in downtown d.c. Now, living in d.c. Is a bit different from visiting. Those of you who come on business or to see the sights don't always appreciate the ridiculousness that lies under the surface. Example - the metro in d.c. Doesn't run all the time - like most other major cities. Yes i know that i can take multiple buses as an alternative to get to dca - but the major subway line that goes to the airport terminal is not running early enough on a saturday to make a 0745 flight - yay d.c.

Anyway - though it adds to my cost. Cab to dca 16.00 with tip. Not too bad all things considered. At least i got to the airport in 15 minutes.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 5:28 am
Original Poster

#3 - airport security

Dca needs to have a more established elite security line. I'm currently 1p on united and when i went through the elite security line - i was directed to regular line the same as everyone else. Strange i thought, but i gave security the benefit of the doubt and got in the queue. Boy was i surprised when the next person to do the same was directed through the ropes to a signifcantly shorter wait. Hummm i thought, the only difference between him and me is that i wore jeans and a sweatshirt today going throught the elite line. Bug mistake when you look like you're 15 years old with your daddy's 1p boarding pass.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 5:32 am
Original Poster

#4 - coffee through security - i think not

Not me of course - i'm not that much of a noob. However, are you kidding me!!! Really, this day in age and the woman in front of me in the security line had a piping hot latte that she thought they would let her take through security. Where have you been the last half a decade? And this woman was in her mid-twenties. I'll excuse those who are too old to care about the rules - those folks are my heros.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 5:35 am
Original Poster

#5 - at the gate

First first class e-upgrade didn't clear. Number 8 with with only three seats left. Oh soon i'll be 1k - maybe i'l finally get a little respect - lol
Old Dec 5, 2009, 5:39 am
Original Poster

#6 - boarding

First - love the power stations at dca. Ok so maybe they have too many "cubicals" that seem to me to be a last little jab at the feds that constantly fly through the airport. But i actually found them useful.

Kudos to united for specifically boarding 1p's before 2p's and the rest. Good job ua.

Boarding.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 6:41 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
While I am enjoying reading about your trip, this really belongs in the Trip Reports Forum, so I will move this there. Hope the rest of your flights go smoothly. If you are at LAX when I am later today, feel free to PM me if you want a snack in the RCC.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:55 am
Original Poster

#7 - in chicago

So i just flew in from dc and boy are my arms tired - (chirp chirp).

Anyway... Flight was smooth. United seat blocked the middle for me - fantastic.

Upgrade for ord-den came through. Probably because it's a 777. Never flown one of those domestic before. Maybe united has added the lie flat seats already - but probably not.

Asked GA if i could double upgrade to first - denied - but worth a shot from what i read here on the forum.

Sucks that the red carpet club is only for business and first international these days without a membership - i wonder if it's worth it to join? Use miles? Well only about 30 min between flights. I'll stick to starbucks.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:12 am
Original Poster

#8 - the numbers

Lesson learned - power stations good - especially when you're trying to blog on your blackberry - never thought i would say that one.

So i did the math (again - since my spreadsheet is on my personal laptop) - looks like this little x-country jaunt is going to net me 12230 EQMs.

Not bad considering that i left my house at 645AM today (sat) and i'll be landing back in DC sunday morning at 500 on the redeye.

In case you are curious thats 1.96 cents per EQM - since my ticket was 240. Even better since i paid for it with 24000 choices miles - though some may diagree - and i'd love to hear the counterpoints.

Until boarding.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:39 am
Original Poster

#9 - UA 777 domestic business class evaluation

Sitting in 11A.

Here's the skinny.

Not anywhere close to united's 747 international bussiness class - but still comfortable. Plus i know they're scheduled to redo the 777 fleet this coming year. I wonder if that will include any domestic flying 777's. I would think yes - but i never put it past the airlines to cut corners.

All in all i'm pleased to have used e500 certs to upgrade. Those things are just really starting to pile up in my account.

I would recommend a non-bulkhead seat though. Kinda stinks that i have to put my small target shopping bag up for takeoff and landing.

More on the bag later.

Last edited by justhadtosay; Dec 5, 2009 at 8:45 am
Old Dec 5, 2009, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

#10 - whew i feel obese

Ok - so in a pleasant surprise - the food was AMAZING! (At least compared to other airline food i've had).

Fresh fruit, croissants, bug cheese and tomatoe omlet, sausage, ham, and homefries.

So maybe there was a bit too much butter, but just enough to knock me out for the remainder of the flight.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

#11 - the worst thing that could happen

Just received a voicemail from united. Last leg - the one that was supposed to get me home tomorrow morning at 500AM so that i can host a brunch at my house with 30 guests - CANCELED - Good God!

Wow - what to do - guess i'm off to custmer service.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

#12 - the FT gods smile upon me

So - yes my SAN - IAD leg was canceled.

But...

The wonderful CS rep in DEN was able to rebook my flight back through LAX giving me an added leg as well. Yay for another 1000EQM.

Here's the new itinerary from the point on - i'm sure some of you will chuckle.

Den-lax-sjc-lax-san-lax-iad

Three times through lax in a few hours - hilarious. Let's just pray that everthing goes smooth so i don't miss the red eye from lax. I guess if i get behind i can always just get them to cancel the inbetween legs - though that would make me sad.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

#13 - the new numbers

So after recalculating the mileage - looks like it'll be 13300EQM for the trip - 1.8 cents per mile - had i actually paid for the base fair.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 5:16 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Originally Posted by justhadtosay
Just received a voicemail from united. Last leg - the one that was supposed to get me home tomorrow morning at 500AM so that i can host a brunch at my house with 30 guests - CANCELED - Good God!

Wow - what to do - guess i'm off to custmer service.

Happy to hear that the CSR's helped you out.

Looks like you're enjoying your MR, on these kind of trips I do bring my iPod and computer so I can listen to music and watch a movie, since by the time of the last few legs you've seen all the IFE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.