Community
Wiki Posts
Search

North American Adventure Y,J&F - JL,NW,VX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:56 pm
`X'
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, DJ Gold, A3 Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Carlson Silver, A|Club Gold
North American Adventure Y,J&F - JL,NW,VX

Introduction:

Back about a year ago the plans were sent in place for this trip. With 2 months off work approved I was able to start to get things put into place. After a big comission drop over 2 months i was actually able to do a Paid J trip to the USA to link in with a Tour i wanted to do (Contiki). I thought this splurge on the flights would be great!

Eventually after lots of quotes and getting the best one to suit what i wanted to do here is what it managed to work out at. This was done purely on price, not points (back then).

BNE-NRT - JAL (Ticketed as QF Codeshare) - J
NRT-MSP - Northwest - J
MSP-IAD - Northwest - Y
WAS-NYC - Amtrak - Business Seat
(Tour through to LAX)
LAX-SEA - Virgin America - F
SEA-HNL - Northwest - Y
HNL-NRT - Northwest - J
NRT-BNE - JAL (Ticketed as QF Codeshare) - J

The trip was scheduled to begin on September 11 (ominous sounding to most of my friends).

The laptop was going to be brought along as i blogged this as i journeyed throughout north America. The full blog can be read here (you will need to go to the first comment to go through the whole thing.

And so it began

Friday September 11

Early morning wake up so i can make my way to the airport. I managed to get picked up early in the morning by Murray’s Coaches who i had won a 2 hour hire of their “9 Seat Executive Limo” which is in reality, a 9 Seat Mercedes Coach that could easily fit 15 sets but only has 9. It was awesome. Clear run through to the airport and i was actually there a good 20 mins early than i expected. After the last few days of sickness i was just glad to be feeling ok and managed to walk around the terminal a bit as I was to early for check in.

Check in was a breeze, first J class person checked in and I was off to the lounge. But was beaten there by someone else. Just sorta chilled around in the lounge, waiting for TRS and Duty Free to open so i could go and get some money back and do some shopping.

After sitting in the lounge and trying to while away the hours by taking a walk. it was time to Board.

Brisbane to Tokyo – Narita (BNE-NRT)
Qantas/Japan Airlines/Jalways – QF389/JL762/JO762
0845/1705
Boeing 767-300 – JA621J
Business Class (Executive Seasons) – Seat 2K

Board: 0820
Pushbank: 0845
Take Off: 0905
Top of Decent: 1615
TD: 1700

Boarding was right on time, and they preboarded business, so i strolled past the massive queue for economy. However because this was only a single door aircraft (JAL don’t have a second door for their 767’s) so it was pretty much then a continuous flow of people heading to the back. No pre take off beverage though

Once everyone was seated. Doors were shut, and we pushed back. The safety demonstration was a lovely cartoon which i couldn’t help but chuckle at. Taxied the long way to Runway 19 and it was good to see that JAL have a nose camera fitted. It was great to watch the taxiing from a nose camera, and the nose camera actually pans down once the wheels are retracted so it was a great view of Brisbane as we took off.

As the seat belt sign came off, the FA’s were up and out came the menu’s drink orders, then i spent a good 5-10 minutes trying to work out the IFE. Since i couldn’t drink (although i am breaking that rule right now as we speak) it was just water for me this morning. I did eat some of the food keeping it light and taking it easy and it was good food.

Skipped the desert and just ate the fruit and then settled back to watch the IFE. As we flew north over PNG and the Solomons we also passed over Guam and Iwo Jima. I managed to finish watch almost 4 movies (being X-men Origins, Monsters Inc, Star Trek and Back to the Future 2).

As we started the decent we took forever and must of been in a holding pattern, cause we did quite a number of circuits. We finally came around and i could see the runway in the nose camera. We touched down on 16R and took a long time to taxi round to terminal 2. Thankfully we were not out on the Satelitte so was quickly off the plane and to immigration.

Bag was about 5 or 6 minute wait (still in the priority set though) and then I was off to the hotel. Was chatting to a few people while we waited for the coach and it was suprising to see just how many people were being overnighted at JAL’s expense, on their way to Europe.

Checked in nice and easy and just chilled out in the room for a bit. The room was tiny but I wasn’t going to complain. I was REALLY tired and just wanted somewhere to pass out. Managed to find a convienece store inside the hotel and bought some water and was dumbfounded at all the different foods etc. Japan is so wierd!

So after a little while i managed to pass out and sleep my way into the next day!

Part 2 coming soon
Old Nov 29, 2009, 7:11 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Well done, keep it coming. ^
Old Nov 29, 2009, 2:26 pm
`X'
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, DJ Gold, A3 Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Carlson Silver, A|Club Gold
Saturday 12th September

Woke up fairly early. I was very happy to of slept 10 hours and was hoping to get out and check out the Narita temple or the aviation museum. Unfortunately as I looked out the window… Rain.

So spent most of the morning holed up inside my room as it did have a good view of one of the taxiways and got some good spotting in.

Around check out time, I decided to go and try my luck at check in and see if they would let me check in, way to early. Got some weird looks from a couple I had been chatting to the night before who knew I departed at 4:30 and here I am sitting on the 11am shuttle.

When I finally got around to Terminal 1 (most people get off at Terminal 2 as that is where JAL is located). The airport was much, much bigger than I expected and it felt like a small city! When I found the Skyteam area at Terminal 2 (which was a large section actually), I rocked up to an empty business elite check in, and they let me check in, no questions asked. The check in agent asked me what sort of seat I wanted so I must have been fairly early in the check in numbering. I just said I wanted a Window seat, didn’t mind where. Whoever that girl was, she is awesome because she gave me Seat 10A which according to Seat Guru is like the BEST seat on the Lower Deck of the Delta 747’s.

Once checked in, I went up to check out the Observation Deck. I was trying to avoid the rain but it wasn’t really around at that point. I did manage to get a heap of awesome photos of stuff I had never seen before, like Finnair, KLM, SAS.

The rain started again so I decided to go through security and go in search of the Skyclub. From what I could see from the Observation Deck one of the lounges had a fantastic view down the active runway.

Turned out it was the Skyclub near gate 21 that was the perfect spot and this is where I sat, for several hours, with a pc in front of me and the camera next to it. I managed to get even more good stuff like Aeroflot, Aeromexicana, heaps of Delta, The SQ A380, Continental and much much more. I had to change sky clubs after a little while as the gate my flight was going from, was at a different side of the terminal.

Boarding time rolled around and it was a mad house at the gate. It was packed solid and there were people everywhere. This was obviously a full flight.

Boarding commenced as they pre boarded Business and I made my way down the business class air bridge.

Tokyo -Narita to Minneapolis St Paul (NRT-MSP)
Delta/Northwest – NW 20
Boeing 747-400
1625/1320
Business Elite – Seat 10A

Board: 1540
Push Back: 16:20
Take Off Roll: 16:45
Top of Decent: 1235
Touch Down: 12:57

Pre Departure drinks were offered and I had decided I would at least partially pay attention to doctors orders still, so took the Orange Juice over the beer. Amenity kits where already at the seat and Slippers and Menus were soon distributed (all went straight into my bag mind you).

A very long taxi to the active and we had a very bumpy climb out. Seat belt sign was on for quite some time as there was a bit of turbulence about. Unfortunately the IFE was not working at all to begin with so for about 2 or so hours, no IFE. I was expecting a very very long flight with no IFE but it did eventually come on line.

We had a very big tail wind which seemed to speed us across the pacific quite quickly. I was really happy with the seat. The Northwest World Business Class seat (now Delta Business Elite) was actually pretty comfortable. It was good to watch movies with the recline right back.

Managed to get in only a couple of movies in between bumping the AVOD remote a number of times and the late starting of the system. We tracked over Alaska and Canada for the arrival into Minneapolis. We were in a holding pattern for like 15 minutes which destroyed the advantage of the Tail Wind. The reason the flight deck gave for the holding pattern. Well it seems President Obama had just landed at MSP.

I had been joking earlier in the day about what would be my plane spotting catch of all time and I joked Air Force One with Obama on board. I was just joking, but now it seemed possible!

We landed nicely into MSP and made our way to the gate. We arrived pretty much on time (love schedule padding) and I made a mad dash into the Security to get through asap. I made it through and was one of the first people waiting for bags. That’s when I lost my timing, my bag (even though tagged “Priority” came out fairly late so I still had to then make the mad rush through the TSA screening point which took a good 20 mins.

Managed to walk all the way across the airport to the gates I needed, found a good vantage point to shoot some really nice shots of AF1. As I was waiting at the gate I could see a whole heap of limos pull up to AF1… Obama was on his way out! What a score!! Got AF1 taxiing out just before boarding commenced.

Minneapolis St Paul to Washington DC – Dulles International (MSP-IAD)
Delta/Northwest/Compass Airlines – NW 5665
1500/1828
Embraer E175 – N635C7
Coach – Seat 5B

Boarding: 1435
Push Back: 1505
Take Off Roll: 1520
Top of Descent: 1750
Touch Down: 1815.

Boarding commenced with First class and elites first, then the back half of the plane, then everyone else. Again the awesome girl in Narita had gotten me a great seat. Again if you check out seat guru apparently a great seat. I wasn’t expecting much on this flight. I was really about this time ready to pass out. I had my ipod ready in hand, plenty of trance and was planning on resting.

We spent a good time at the gate while person after person brought in oversize suitcases. That stuff would not fly in Aus, I don’t know why they let the get away with it over here in the USA. It was a full flight and as soon as everyone was set, we were off. It was a bit of a taxi to the active but since this was the first time I had ever been on an Embraer aircraft I was a little excited. The take-off was violent as it felt like he was trying to do a burn out.

Up in the air quickly and climbing up, again more bumpy stuff as big cloud base but soon we were pointed towards DC. Did get offered a drink, which I took just a coke and then just tried to rest my eyes. Next thing I know we are at Top of Descent and we are heading down. Not having been in an Embraer before you can really feel the movements on descent in this thing, its crazy!

We touched down on the far side of Dulles and had to taxi all the way to the B gates. Since we went to the B gates I was ecstatic, that meant one thing. MOON BUGGIES!!! The one thing that is unique to Dulles and no where else are the iconic Moon Buggies that you use to go from terminal to terminal.

It was about 1830 when we stepped off the flight and the time taken to get to the moon buggies, wait for the next one, get my bag then wait for the Super Shuttle it was about 1930. 25 minutes later I’m at my hotel, checked in quickly and about to get straight into that king size bed. It has been a very long 24 hours.

Part 3 coming soon....
Old Nov 29, 2009, 6:24 pm

Programs: EXP AA.
WOW AF1 Captain Cool and the Coolettes. I'm Green with envy. Saw the Queens Flight Bae146 ferrying Tony Blair at Inverness Airport. (Blair Force 1) but it just doesn't compeat.

Cheers Larry.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:06 am
`X'
Original Poster

yeah, was a very big shock!
Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:52 am
`X'
Original Poster

pts 3 & 4!

Tuesday 15th September

Woke up a bit earlier than my alarm but not by much and packed up my things and checked out. It was time to wave goodbye to a beautiful hotel. Dragging a suitcase turned a 5 min walk into about 10 mins (it was slightly uphill and the lights were against me) from the hotel to Union Station.

I picked up my prepaid ticket and was then told they dont allow checked baggage to New York There was not a single red cap in sight either so that meant I couldn’t even pay someone to take my luggage for me. I ended up having to drag it round while I picked up a coffee and a danish at Au Bon Pain before finding a spot to sit down.

When the train was finally called for boarding I was “randomly” screened for security. Which prompted the usual questions “so your australian” “its so expensive to get there right?” So tired of those same questions now but then again thats about all they can probably think of!

Washington DC Union Station to New York City Penn Station (WAS-NYC)
Amtrak Acela – Train 2158
0900/1145
Business Class

Boarding: 0845
Depart: 0900
Arrive: 1155

As they don’t allocate seating on this train I decided I would head to the carriage furtherest from the entrance as this is where there should be the most amount of seats as if anyone is like me, they are lazy. The decision was right as when I got up there, there was only 3 other people in the carriage. I was surprised at just how much leg room there was. I was expecting maybe just a tiny amount of leg room like onboard a flight but there was a very decent amount. The tray tables were a touch annoying as you had to pull them all the way up and they did that with a very loud noise.

Seats reclined enough to make the journey comfortable. It was nice and quiet and as we pulled out of the station we quickly picked up speed. Not quite sure what speed we were at but it was quite good. I had read online that all passengers get a complimentary beverage (but this was false) so a few dollars later I had a bottle of water to keep the journey going.

The train was quiet and quickly smashed through the miles. With heaps of leg room, I can see why people would take this over the DC Flight Shuttles any day. Being dropped off right in the centre of the city would certainly have its benefits. I guess its probably part of its benefits.

After passing through Baltimore, Philadelphia and Newark we were soon enough in New York and it meant I was off the training and dragging my bag to find a cab rank to find the hotel.

A Short, comfortable journey with plenty of leg room, no real security or check in or baggage lines. What more can you want in a trip!

Saturday October 17th.

Early morning wake up and pick up for the departure out of LAX. 615 am pick up from my hotel in Anaheim (blergh i hate early wake ups) and i hop into the Supershuttle van for the ride into LA. There was like no traffic on the freeway so we were there in no time.

Check in at Terminal 3 was painless and i was through TSA in no time after the Dignity shuffle. I still swear that someone at the TSA is standing there saying “i wonder how we can make people lose more dignity” Once in the terminal i then realised it was rather spartan for what I was used to and it was pretty boring. So out came the book. I did manage to spot the Alaska Airlines Retro Jet (which was cool) and i did watch Air Colbert leave as i rocked up. Dissapointing! Soon enough though it was time to board.

Los Angeles to Seattle (LAX-SEA)
Virgin America – VX781
Airbus A319 – N522VA “The 1-Year-Old Virgin”
0915/1155
First Class – Seat 1F

Boarding: 08:45
Push Back: 09:12
Take Off Roll: 09:16 – Runway 24L
Top of Decent: 10:50
Touch Down: 11:30 – Runway 16L

Pre departure drinks were offered.. didn’t feel like hitting the hard liquor at this hour of the morning so just decided on a beer and got a very wierd look from my seat mate (haha). We were soon ready for push back as everyone boarded. It was a 100% flight so no chance of getting some decent photos.

Once pushed back we were quickly on the active and the traffic seemed light so we were straight on and out of LAX. No time to Taxi and get extra drinks (damn). As we took off and climbed out we turned out over the ocean and headed north.

Once lights went off out came the TV and i had a good play with Red (although the food ordering options are switched off for First Class). We were soon offered some food and i didnt really have much of a choice either a cold cheese plate or a chorizo quesadilia. Took the chorizo and it was a pretty good breakfast (washed down with a beer of course).

Managed to watch two episodes of NCIS while in the air (didnt think i could get a movie in) and soon enough we were on our descent into Seattle. It was a bit of a bumpy descent with heaps of cloud about but soon enough we were on final approach and with wheels touching down we were at the terminal minutes later.

Made my way down to the baggage claim and after finding a rest room my bag was already out and then it was a quick call to the limo company and I was out of the terminal into the cold.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 2:30 am
`X'
Original Poster

ok a bit of a lead in before we keep going with the rest of the story.

In seattle i had been emailing my travel agent as this next segment was 6 hours in Y. After so much time up the front, I really didn't wanna go back. So I was trying to get her to get me upgrade (was happy to pay since i had no status or anything that would get me a chance of upgrading). I got the what seems like a usual response "i cant do anything, you will need to just enquire at the gate"

So not really taking this and after chatting with another friend who got a similar answer from her agent about another question for changing her flights, her solution was to go to the airline direct. So i did. 10 mins on hold, 3 transfers through different sections (Was a domestic flight, so hit that, then got told need to go to International cause it was an international ticket, then onto NW International as they issued the ticket) and $180 later It was all fixed. Apparently I should of been in F in the first place, so the $180 was a reissue. I didn't mind!

So when i could see tht it had been changed online, jumped in, pre allocated some seats (although didnt get my hopes up) and all seemed good.

Wednesday October 21st

I am really starting to hate early mornings. A 545am pick up this morning and i thought it would be a private transfer… nope. had to share a van with someone. Which was wierd cause the price was the same as what a private should of been. It was a quick ride to SeaTac and I was dropped off near the Delta check in and within moments i was checked in and headed towards the Dignity loss area. I had planned ahead though. I was wearing shoes that did not have laces.

Security was pretty painful today. I beeped. So off came the belt to and the watch, next thing you know they will ask me to remove my pants. Once i finally cleared TSA i went looking for my gate. What i had forgotten was that SeaTac has two Satellites the “North” and “South” So hear I am walking towards the A gates thinking im going in the wrong direction till i see a sign pointing towards the Train and the “S” gates. I was like .... Then it dawned on me. I need to get a train. So I jumped onboard and headed off to my gates. First time that I have had to get a train inside the airport to get to my gate.

So once I am at the S gates ive got about 90 mins till boarding so rather than do much as I am really tired, i just find the nearest seat, plonk my butt down and relax. I managed to keep reading my book which was good and pretty soon they gave the boarding warning.

Seattle to Honolulu (SEA-HNL)
Northwest/Delta – NW219
Boeing 757-300
0815-1115
First Class – Seat 4A/3A

Boarding: 0735 – Gate S8
Push Back: 0815
Take Off Roll: 0830 – Runway 16L
Top of Descent: 1055
Touch Down: 1120 – Runway 8L

This was my first time in Delta’s domestic first class. We boarded the 757 into the 2nd door so i got to be all elite and turn left at the end of the walkway.. not right. I had been originally sitting in seat 4A and was just getting settled when a flight attendant asked me to move to 3A so a couple could sit together. I didn’t mind as it was still a window and it was going to be full anyway so might as well.

Once I moved over i was offered a drink. Orange Juice or Mai Tai. Hello MAI TAI’s! This would be the first of many for this flight. My seat mate for the flight turned out to be a Deadheading pilot. For some reason he was dead heading out to hawaii rather than flying the aircraft out. We had a little chat about my traveling and it was pretty good.

Once boarding was finished the doors were shut and we pushed back quickly. Not much of a taxi and soon enough we were off the ground, out of the seattle rain and up above the clouds. We had the seatbelt sign on for quite some time (as it would turn out it would barely come off during the flight). Soon enough the drinks cart was rolled out first (hello 2nd Mai Tai). I had read plenty of complaints on flyertalk about First Class meal service and how poor it was becoming. When breakfast service started, I was pretty impressed. I was given a choice between a hot or cold breakfast. I was hungry so hot it was. I was given a cheese omlette with two sausage looking thingys and some potato wedges. O and a bagel. I am going to miss bagels (but thats for another time). I couldn’t complain about that. Add in some coffee and you have yourself a decent breakfast.

The movie for the flight began and thankfully they use only single prong headphone sockets so I just plugged in my own headphones and started listening to the movie. The movie was called Imagine this. I had not heard of it before, turned out to be an Eddie Murphy movie.

The flight was pretty uneventful. Watched a movie, finished my book off and had 3 more mai tais (and a 2nd cup of coffee). As we decended into Honolulu I could see the islands off on my side of the aircraft. What i missed out on was the view of Waikiki on the other side of the aircraft. However what i missed out on I more than made up for as we flew in over Hickam AFB’s strips. For me this was better as sitting their on the ramp were two F-22 Raptors. I was ecstatic and I snapped quite a number of pictures of all the aircraft on the ramp.

We landed nice and softly and taxied off to our gate. I forgot to read the rego off the door as I hopped off the aircraft so that was a bit of a bummer but then as I was walking down the long walkways at the airport I realised there was no glass. All of the walkways are fully open. How awesome!!! Gonna enjoy that part of spotting on the way out

After the long walk to the baggage claim I saw someone holding a sign with my name. I knew I had a pre booked and paid for transfer to my hotel, but didn’t know it was meet and greet. Then I saw it. The purple lei… o no!! It was a little embarrasing that I was travelling on my own and with a guy putting a lei around my neck. I grabbed my bag off the carosel (eventually) and then it was off to the hotel.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 4:11 am

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
I am a little lost here.
You took the train from DC to NY, the next thing is you are going from LAX to SEA. Did i miss something here?
Old Dec 1, 2009, 5:55 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Nice shot of AF1 and the moon buggie!
Old Dec 1, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: UA S
Originally Posted by SMART51
I am a little lost here.
You took the train from DC to NY, the next thing is you are going from LAX to SEA. Did i miss something here?
from OP:
(Tour through to LAX)
Funny to see you get excited about the moon buggies. As someone who regularly flies through IAD, I take them for granted. Its good to see someone likes them . Nice Luck with AF1 and a great overall TR so far.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:13 am

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
(Tour through to LAX) I saw it but did not understand it
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:34 pm
`X'
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SMART51
I am a little lost here.
the gap is a tour from NYC to LAX via Canada.

There is a link to the blog at the top if you want to have a read but its a lot of drunken posts at 2am etc during hte tour. Being Contiki it was pretty loose.

I had also heard so much about the moon buggies. Guess it was just different. We dont really have stuff like that over here. I mean we get the occasional bus etc at some airports but otherwise you walk.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by `X'
the gap is a tour from NYC to LAX via Canada.

There is a link to the blog at the top if you want to have a read but its a lot of drunken posts at 2am etc during hte tour. Being Contiki it was pretty loose.
I thought I was the only one to fly business class to join a Contiki tour

A very nice report
Old Dec 1, 2009, 3:48 pm
`X'
Original Poster

ahah yeah it was a bit of a splurge after 2 tough years of working my butt off.

not many photos in this last segment... since most of it was at night or on stuff i had already taken photos of.

Last edited by `X'; Dec 2, 2009 at 2:04 am
Old Dec 2, 2009, 2:11 am
`X'
Original Poster

Sunday October 25th 2009

A decent wake up this morning for a pick up at a decent hour. The shuttle was a touch late which was ok in the end as I made it to the airport with plenty of time to spare. Check in was a bit of a riot as there was people everywhere and as I approached the Priority line, their computer went down so she sent me to the main line. Problem!! I have to interline my bags. So i found a supervisor and he put me to the front of the line.

Checked in and it was off through the Loss of Dignity line again. Belt off, shoes off, watch off, laptop out. Getting used to it, thankfully the 2nd last time I have to do this on the trip. Through security, and its off to find the lounge, took ages to find it as their was not much signage and it was tiny. Very very small. While in their one guy was fully going off at the ladies in the club saying how .... it was etc etc. I didn’t really have much time before I had to go to the gate. And they do things wierdly in Hawaii. They board you into a big gated room, then shut the gates, then let you on the plane. Wierd.

Honolulu to Tokyo Narita (HNL-NRT)
Northwest/Delta – NW323
Airbus A330-300 – N818NW
1235-1650
Business Elite – Seat 2A

Boarding: 1200
Push Back: 1230
Take Off Roll: 1300 – Runway 8R – Reef Runway
Top of Decent: 1545
Touch Down: 1700

We boarded through Door 1L and it turned out this was the only door open, so it was gonna be a free for all for everyone getting on and blocking the aisles in J class as they passed through. I originally had a seat mate but after a little while he moved over to an empty seat.

We taxied out to the Reef Runway and we had a long taxi with a big line up behind us as well. Passed the Golf course which runs through the airport and also saw the Hickham parking bays but they were on the other side of the plane

As we took off we made a right turn heading west with a good view of Waikiki. Seatbelt sign stayed on for quite some time (most of the flight actually). I had to have the Japanese meal due to my allergy and that meant that i had to eat eel. So i really only ate the rice. It was a bit of a dissapointment. So instead, I reclined the seat (when i could) and watched a movie.

Several movies later, we were on our descent into Tokyo. It was a long descent with almost 45 mins in a holding pattern due to weather on the ground. It was also one of the worst decents I have been in. We were all over the place getting thrown around. I was not feeling so happy by the end of it. My stomach was fine but the jitteryness was up pretty high.

After getting off the plane, I managed to find my way across the terminal and hopped on the shuttle to terminal 2.

Monday 26th October

After the rough landing in Tokyo I was glad to be on solid ground. I found my way between terminals (had to wait a little bit) and headed for the QP (Qantas Club). The Qantas club looked pretty good, just how I expected it. Was good to see VB in the fridge (good little touch of home). Really didn’t want to drink anything after that flight. Was pretty Jittery and it was getting to me. I jumped online and started writing the trip report for the HNL-NRT leg and I was all over the place. I managed to get myself a shower and try and calm myself down but looking out the window at the weather did not help. Eventually I just had to suck it up and get on that plane. We boarded late as the plane we were meant to have went to Kansai instead.

Tokyo Narita to Brisbane (NRT-BNE)
Qantas/JAL/Jalways – QF390/JL761/JO761
Boeing 767-300 – JA620J
2115-0715
Business Class – Seat 2G

Boarding: 2135
Push Back: 2155
Take Off Roll: 2215 – Runway 34L
Top of Decent: 0705
Touch Down: 0735 – Runway 01

Was at the front of the boarding queue so was about 3rd onboard (stuck behind old slow people). No pre departure drinks (must be a JAL thing) but everyone was seated quick enough. We pushed back and taxiied out. It was a bit all over the place as the wind was pretty heavy. I was able to watch the take off from the nose camera (which has to be the coolest thing on board). The take off was not as bad as I expected. We were up out of the crap pretty quickly. We had the drinks service once in the air and I didn’t feel like drinking so just had a sprite (what a waste of the possibility of good booze). Started watching transformers 2 while dinner was being served (food was really good, way better than delta) and by the end of the movie my eyes were closing. I think i may have dozed off for about an hour or so. By the time i came to we were about 4 hours out, and this is where we hit the turbulence. It was a bit rough (not as bad as the landing into tokyo) but you could see that we were flying through a thunderstorm with the lightning striking in the distance.

After it calmed down I started watching “Bucket List” and before you knew it the breakfast (snack) service was coming out. Pretty soon we were skirting down the Queensland coast and starting descent into brisbane. The flight attendants kept saying we would get turbulence coming in but it was very light. Pretty soon we were flying over brisbane and I was able to watch the landmarks go past on the Nose Camera. Touching down had never felt so good, to be home in my own town (even if only for 2 days).

We landed on 01 which meant a nice long taxi to the International Terminal and the gate. By the time we pulled up to the gate, people looked antsy to get off. We pulled up to a gate right next to duty free and right in front of immigration. Managed to pick up my duty free without to much hassle since I managed to lose the collection receipt (somehow). Used the express lane cards to get through Immigration quickly but when I collected my bag (which thankfully made it through Tokyo much to my doubt) and tried to use the express lane for Quarantine and Customs, they wouldn’t let me. O well i will keep the express cards for next time . Since i was declaring the Candle Nut Lei i was given in Hawaii I had to go through all the lines and then I find out because its Candle Nut it will cost me $30 to get it fumigated, so i told them to dump it, I couldn’t be bothered paying that for something worth $7 and for something that was given to me (the quarantine guys are probably wearing it right now).

Soon enough I was out through the doors and in the waiting arms of my loving parents who came to pick me up! Gotta love a warm welcome. It was good to be home!

And that concludes my epic trip report

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.