Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

US Airways Envoy Sleeper Class, SFO-PHL-CDG

Old Nov 26, 09, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles Silver Preferred, Hilton Honors Gold VIP

I've appreciated reading many reviews here & felt compelled to contribute with a trip report. This was my first time flying Envoy Class and an A330.

Flight: 1448 SFO-PHL
Flight Time: 5 Hours
Equipment: A321
Seat: 1F

Flight: 754 PHL-CDG
Flight Time: 7 Hours
Equipment: A330-300
Seat: 1H

Dividend Miles: Kudos to US Airways for their New Envoy Upgrade Policy! I took advantage of using 30,000 miles + $300 to upgrade from my $825 RT coach fare. Previously, a minumum upgradable fare of $700 one way was required to use miles. Unfortunately the upgrade was not available for the return trip.

SFO: As a Silver Preferred Member, I definitely appreciated the seperate check-in counter & security lane. On the A330, Envoy Class consists of rows 1-5. Row 1 is the former first class cabin with the sleeper seats. Prior to check-in I had unsuccessfully tried several times with reservations to change my original seat from row 2 to row 1 without being charged the additional $300 Envoy Sleeper Upgrade Fee. They even tagged my reservation with a note not to change my trans-atlantic seat without paying. Persistancy pays. Once again, I requested this change from the agent at check-in. The agent upgraded myself & my travel companion without the additional fee. This was an awesome travel moment for me knowing we got the sleeper seats complimentary!

PHL: We arrived at the Envoy Lounge only to be advised we needed to proceed immediately to gate A25 for boarding. I was disappointed we didn't get to enjoy this benefit of upgrading to Envoy Class. I would have understood if we had arrived late from SFO but we arrived on time. There's definitely not sufficient time for connecting passengers to appreciate the Envoy Lounge in PHL. It appeared to be a very nice lounge. Both the agent at the Envoy Lounge and at gate A25 were the only rude US Airways' employees we experienced on the this trip.

OnBoard: It appeared we were the last ones to board with plenty of time before departure. I was very impressed to see 94" of seat pitch! I was also pleased with the usual pre-departure services. The seats were a little outdated compared to other carriers' sleeper seats. They were still very comfortable & we definitely enjoyed them. The inflight services were up to expectations. My only disappointment was the lack of an airmap. I really enjoy watching a flight's progress and facts especially flying international. I really appreciated how the cabin crew allowed the Envoy Class Passengers to disembark first at CDG.

Look at all that legroom!

My empty sleeper seat.

Me stretching just because I had all that space.

Minutes before landing at CDG. (We lost our headrest covers during the flight)

CDG: Envoy Class had checked-in full. So I accepted the fact we would fly coach to PHL. Since I had anticiapted this, I did my homework on the flight to CDG. I walked the entire coach cabin to identify the best legroom since I had read reviews that US Airways' Coach pitch was very tight. That was very true! Regardless of what seatguru.com says, the best seats in coach are the 4 center section seats at bulkhead row 23. These have more legroom than any seat at bulkhead row 6. The flight was bareable due to our good seats in row 23 and the nice couple seated next to us who coincidentally were also on the our flight to CDG. The cabin crew provided us along with our new friends excellent service with complimentary headsets & alcoholic beverages. One flight attendant even recognized us from row 1 on our flight to CDG. That made us feel very special!

Best seats in coach with our new friends.

Summary: We truly enjoyed both flights. It was a pleasure to have provided 6 US Airways' employees with complimentary certificates for a job well done! We were very grateful to have experienced the best way to fly on US Airways in Envoy Sleeper Class PHL-CDG.

Last edited by ig744; Dec 4, 09 at 1:01 am
Old Nov 26, 09, 10:39 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
I've never flown US Airways Envoy Class. Your report never mentioned any inflight meal service. I understand that for the vast majority of premium class passengers, inflight meals are of no consequence since the food is rarely up to their discerning standards and the most important thing is the extra space. Even so, being fully aware of the many cutbacks over the years at US Airways, I can't help but wonder if this staple of international premium class service is no longer offered (at least on a complimentary basis), even to Envoy Class passengers?

Also, what runway did you take off from?

P.S. At present, your pictures are not displaying correctly (at all)

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 26, 09 at 10:45 am
Old Nov 27, 09, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, NZ Jade, QF Bronze, A Club Platinum, Hhonors Silver
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
P.S. At present, your pictures are not displaying correctly (at all)
That's because Http:// is listed twice in the links plus with Facebook you need to be logged in before you can see pixs!!!
Old Nov 29, 09, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Hi Seat 2A, thanks for reading my report. Here's some information regarding US Airways' Complimentary Envoy Class Meal Service. After boarding we received a very nice detailed Envoy Menu. US Airways offers a 3-course meal service for dinner. I was very pleased to know Champagne was available.

Once inflight, we were served a beverage with a gourmet cocktail snack. My flying companion was very observant of the fact that the gourmet cocktail snack was not served warm as we had experienced the very same gourmet cocktail snack on United's Business Class to Tokyo.

The 1st course was a custom made salad with a choice of dressing. The 2nd course being the main course consisted of a beef, duck or mahi mahi entree. The 3rd course was a choice of 3 desserts. US Airways also offers an Express Meal in a single course for those who may want more time to work, relax or sleep. After the meal service, a snacking station is set up.

First Course (Custom made salad)

Second Course (Seared Hawaiian Mahi Mahi)

Third Course (White chocolate raspberry cheesecake)

Breakfast is single option offered as a single course 1 hour prior to arrival.

Breakfast

Unfortunately I don't remember which runway was used to take-off.

Last edited by ig744; Nov 30, 09 at 1:00 am
Old Nov 29, 09, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by deconz View Post
That's because Http:// is listed twice in the links plus with Facebook you need to be logged in before you can see pixs!!!
He should have go to onto the website at www.photobucket.com and it is free of charge. He will have need to upload the pictures. Then he will post it the photos onto the forums.
Old Nov 30, 09, 11:47 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by ig744 View Post
Hi Seat 2A, thanks for reading my report. Here's some information regarding US Airways' Complimentary Envoy Class Meal Service.
Thanks, ig744! I could not have asked for a better or more thorough response.
Old Nov 30, 09, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, LAN Comodoro, LH SEN, Flying Blue Plat
awww... you look quite hot I must say!!
Old Nov 30, 09, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the compliment rownada!

Last edited by ig744; Dec 2, 09 at 1:13 am
Old Dec 1, 09, 6:26 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Nice Report! Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 09, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rownada View Post
awww... you look quite hot I must say!!
Seems like he's taken!
Good report. The seats look like they are falling apart.
Old Dec 1, 09, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, LAN Comodoro, LH SEN, Flying Blue Plat
Originally Posted by exc3ll View Post
Seems like he's taken!
I know!! How upsetting is that...

Oh well. I can only look at the photos and dream :-)
Old Dec 1, 09, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Hi exc3ll, yes the seats had signs of aging. I thought they were in decent condition considering they've been onboard since 2000.
Old Dec 1, 09, 10:50 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Nice TR, question who would you compare the Envoy seats too.
Old Dec 2, 09, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks rkaradi. My premium seat travel is very limited. Envoy Sleeper Seats are definitely better than the following because they lay horizontally flat:

1. United First Lie-flat Seat (lay flat at an angle) - 757 Premium Service SFO-JFK.

2. United Business Seat (non lay flat) - 747-400 Upper Deck SFO-NRT.
Old Dec 2, 09, 1:38 am

Programs: UA GL*G (0.65 BIS MM), AA EXP, Wyndham Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ig744 View Post
My premium seat travel is very limited. Envoy Sleeper Seats are definitely better than the following because they lay horizontally flat:

1. United First Lie-flat Seat (lay flat at an angle) - 757 Premium Service SFO-JFK.
2. United Business Seat (non lay flat) - 747-400 Upper Deck SFO-NRT.
Well certainly it is better, as your seat used be sold as F and there still a $300 surcharge like you mentioned.

And UA F PS seat is actually SQ old C seat "space bed", however UA new C seat on 744 would be better than what you have on US as the new C seat is also horizontal, and come with a much larger TV with AVOD.

Oh btw, I can care less what kind of seat it is if there is someone you like or love to share your seat with, that is what I dream about one day.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Dec 2, 09 at 1:44 am

Search this Thread