Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2009, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
IC HK

InterContinental Hong Kong
Booked: Superior Harbour View room + Club, Friends & Family rate
Got: Harbour View Junior Suite

Hotel exterior and lobby bar windows from the Avenue of the Stars. Our room was on the corner next to the moon...

Safely delivered by our taxi, we presented ourselves at the front desk to check in. The process was started there, but a key was quickly produced and we were whisked up to our room to finish everything off. As the IC HK don't officially upgrade RAs past a junior suite, and the xx16 series come very highly regarded, I booked the cheapest available harbour view room and requested a xx16 room for an upgrade. We were told on the way upstairs that we had been upgraded to a junior suite, but I already knew that - I had spied the room number he wrote down at the desk, as it would be easier to argue there than in the lift! No such worries, and after a quick signature and a tour of the room we were left to take in the view. Unfortunately, as we were quite late arriving, a lot of the buildings had turned off their lights, so it wasn't quite as spectacular as it could be - still pretty jawdropping though.

So, a tour of the room for you. The xx16 jr suites are on an almost 45 degree corner, which gives you two angles on the view. It does make the room a slightly crooked L-shape though. As you enter, a small seating area is straight ahead. Around the corner, the TV and minibar are on the inside wall, and the desk on the outside wall, with the king size bed at the end.

The bed and desk. by day

The rest of the room, by night

The bathroom is accessed down a short corridor, with the wardrobe on one side, the toilet door on the other, and the bathroom at the end. The bathroom has two sinks, a large jacuzzi and separate steam room/shower.

Jacuzzi bath

Steam shower

The minibar was definitely the best stocked we had on the trip. As part of the room tour, we were reminded (as if it was necessary) that the drinks were free! As well as these pictures, there was another drawer with glasses, and a third with snacks (not free).

Part 1 (chilled) - the ice bucket was refilled with fresh ice whenever the bar was checked

Part 2 (unchilled)

Dot marks the spot

Notice that the rooms on the back are generally much bigger - makes sense, as this hotel really is all about the view. The big two-room suite at the bottom left corner is one of the Deluxe suites - the biggest bookable online. They have a jacuzzi overlooking the harbour...

Anyway, enough stalling with minor details, we all know this is why you come here:

The finale of the Symphony of Lights - probably better if you can hear the music, but not much...

On the third floor at the back corner is the gym, spa and pool area. The pool is open until 10pm, and was nice around dusk as the sunlight faded and the buildings lit up.

A good size pool, and pretty quiet whenever we were down

A nice little kit for keeping cool by the pool. A shame it was almost dark and pleasantly temperatured by the time we got there, so a bit unnecessary

The infinity spa pools, complete with harbour view

I don't have enough space for all the photos in this post, so the Hong Kong section shall be continued...

(it also means I can post something before I've finished the writing, by padding it out with lots of photos )
Old Dec 3, 2009, 1:24 pm

A good read and nice photos, thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:37 am
Original Poster

It recently occurred to me that I had completely failed to finish this TR! So, I apologise profusely, and a mere two months later present the next few instalments.

(As way of compensation, I may write a slightly less exciting follow-up: LGW - GVA by MON charter!)
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:38 am
Original Poster

InterContinental Hong Kong - the highly delayed and not very long part 2.

Club access at the IC HK comes with various benefits, all of which were detailed in a letter we were given at check-in. In-room, it provides "enhanced" toiletries, free fruit and water (free to RAs anyway) and free internet (otherwise I think ~HKD160/day).

The Club is located on a mezzanine level, overlooking the lobby lounge and out to the harbour view:

Unfortunately, the angle of the view means it is nothing like as good as the view from downstairs, but it is still nice for watching the world go by. There is an extensive breakfast buffet in the morning, with extra items available to order. Afternoon tea has a decent selection of mini sandwiches and other savoury bites, cakes, warmed scones with jam and cream, and tea from stylish teapots that are almost impossible to pour from...

Afternoon tea, savoury section

Afternoon tea, sweet section

Cute mini ice-bucket for a can of Coke

6-8pm was cocktails, champagne and nibbles. Again, the buffet was extensive enough that one evening, feeling tired, we had "dinner" solely from the Club. The lamb satay was particularly tasty.

Other than the food, the Club offered newspapers, laptops

A couple more photos for you:

View from The Peak

Day trip to Macau- part Portuguese, part Chinese, part Vegas, and definitely worth a visit.

All in all, a lovely hotel - good facilities, friendly attentive staff, and a fantastic view. A great stay.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Hong Kong - Singapore Changi
United Airlines UA895
First Class

Having taken advantage of one final afternoon tea and checked out in the Club, we headed down stairs and into a taxi to Kowloon station. This was slightly easier than coming in from the airport, as the hotel staff passed our destination on to the driver (and, for future use, gave us a card in Cantonese saying something along the lines of "Take me to the InterContinental, please!"). A few minutes later we took our last couple of un-airconditioned steps into the station. A not exactly well publicised ticket available for the Airport Express is the "Group of 2" (or 3, or 4) -
for a few people travelling together this offers a useful discount. With one of these tickets in hand, we went through the barrier to the in-town check-in desks that are available at both Hong Kong and Kowloon airport express stations - a very useful feature, especially as you can check your bags in there at any point on the day of travel (and up to a full 24hrs before with some airlines), until 90 minutes before departure.

The UA desk had one person checking in when we arrived, but otherwise the place was virtually deserted. We were quickly seen to, our bags interlined through to LHR, and boarding passes and lounge invites issued. While I'd sometimes be a little wary of having my bags spend a night in an airport between two carriers, I knew there would be nothing to fear at SIN. A casual stroll down to the platforms, free of bulky luggage, around an 8 minute wait for our train, and on to a carriage with around 8 people on it - I could get used to this!

At this point I should probably mention why, on an itinerary almost entirely on some of the cream of *A carriers, there is a stray sector on UA... Well, there are a few reasons:

1) The times worked
2) There was availability for both of us (SQ would have neccessitated the risky "book one seat, hope another one turns up" strategy)
3) It was operated by the new international F product, so at least the hard product was reasonable for 3hrs

and finally

4) I had a certain morbid curiosity. Consider this sector a kind of scientific study

The RCC at HKG is a bit of an oddity, being regarded as actually quite good, and certainly one of the best UA lounges system-wide.

We entered, took a seat, and someone was quickly over to offer us a drink and a small food menu. I opted for an orange juice and sushi with some form of cutlet (I don't think it was tonkatsu, I think it might have been sweet potato...)

We sat out on the little open terrace bit, which was probably a mistake as the light soon faded, leaving no particular view (too many reflections in the window) but leaving us in hearing range of the announcements in the main terminal and the beeping of the passing buggies.

The lounge was quiet when we arrived, and didn't get much busier.

As well as the menu food offerings, there was a small buffet and a staff member who would bring you things. A reasonable collection of reading material was available, but nothing I wanted to read. Quite a selection of German offerings, as I presume this is used as the LH lounge.

Boarding was called, and we made our way along to the gate. There was, in fact, one more reason for booking UA:

5) Turning left, into the nose of the 747. I've been upstairs before, but never into the nose. All of the SQ options were operated by a 777 of some flavour and you know, variety is the spice of life and all that...

It was a full load in F tonight, which was a little disappointing given our previous F experience. Not to worry. Champagne received (I think, my memory is a little rusty) and menus distributed. No photos on board, I'm afraid, and no exact menu either - don't worry, you're not missing much. But suffice to say, it wasn't particularly extensive. We got underway, and having been pre-warned about the ungodly sounds that eminate from the nose-wheel, I took it in my stride Service started pretty quickly after take-off, and our pre-ordered drinks were delivered (more champagne, obviously). Then the food arrived...

I started with a "caesar salad". This was actually a pile of lettuce leaves and a small plastic tub of dressing. Peeling off the foil lid, I found an almost solid lump of white gloop, which clearly wasn't going to drizzle over anything, or undertake any of the other verbs you associate with a salad dressing. I attempted to spread it with my knife, then just gave up and took to dunking the leaves into the pot.

On to the main course, where I opted for the "lamb korma". This turned out to be primarily some lamb fat in a bland, grey sauce, with a side of slightly chewy rice. I managed to find a few bits of actual meat, and did what I could, but it was pretty unpalatable.

Dessert was a wobbly red fruity thing.

At some point a hot towel was offered, which was half the size and half the thickness of what SQ and OZ provided. I was slightly fearful it would disintegrate in my hands, but at least it was hot.

After dinner, I decided that a terrible, mindless film would be the best way to pass the rest of the flight. With that in mind, I selected G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, and it certainly delivered! Channel 9, my only other interaction with the IFE, was on for landing, and it was interesting listening as we made a series of small turns to line up for a runway 02 landing from a northerly arrival.

Another small observation, which may be standard UA practice but is certainly different from my usual expectation - on landing, most of the window blinds were still closed, and several of the other pax still had headphones on (I was listening to Ch.9, I admit, but just holding one earpiece to my head). I'm used to the crew insisting on shades up and headphones off - do UA not?

It didn't take long for us to get off the plane, apart from waiting patiently behind the man who was struggling to retrieve his enormous carry-on from the overhead bin, and we we arrived quickly at a deserted immigration. Unfortately, we split up and went to two separate queues and I got stuck behind the idiot who, having already annoyed me on the walk along, hadn't filled in his landing card properly and spent ages hunting in his bag to find his address in Singapore. My patience wears thin when I am getting very close to my bed, and am obstructed by others... We were at the right end of the terminal for the Crowne Plaza though, and with a quick left turn we walked directly through the connecting passage into the lobby.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Crowne Plaza Changi Airport
Booked: King Deluxe
Got: King Deluxe Suite

We arrived at reception not too long before midnight, and found it surprisingly busy. I presume there was a function on, as there were a number of people in ballgowns - either that, or they had heard that dressing smartly helps you get an upgrade on your flight... We were informed that the hotel was fully booked, and as such we had been upgraded to a suite - a nice unexpected bonus, though something of a waste considering we were checking back out in about 7 hours.

As we stepped out of the lift on the 7th floor, we were hit by a wall of heat. I had forgotten that the corridor to the rooms was outside - an interesting design decision, but a bit of a shock when you've managed to get the whole way from Hong Kong in air conditioning. Then, as quickly as the heat arrives, you are in your room and back in the cool.

Awaiting us in the room were two bottles of water, a plate of macaroons and a card welcoming me as a Gold elite member. Huh, the cheek! Interestingly, it had a fairly up-to-date points balance on it. I was a relative Priority Club newbie when I booked this room during a sale about 8 months before, and my status from then had obviously stuck despite them polling the database to retrieve a current points balance. I wasn't complaining though, I still got an upgrade...

Photo tour:

Living room

Looking from living room towards bedroom and bathroom

Bedroom

Bathroom - shower and toilets. I'm not completely sure why they bothered putting in a glass door for the toilet...

Bathroom - bath and sinks

Looking back towards living room from bathroom door

View, what there was of it

Courtyard and swimming pool

For an airport hotel, you couldn't ask for much more. Stylish, convenient, comfortable, and reasonably priced.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 1:00 am

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
I'm not gonna let this TR drop to page 2...

Very impressive, raikje! ^
Old Feb 16, 2010, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA; Delta; US Air; BA Executive Club
Great TR raikje. Really enjoyed reading it and the nice photos. My wife and I are in the early stages of planning a similar trip, hopefully in F. We have not yet figured out which airline we will use. Have the choice of two alliances to burn the points. (*A and One World, and Sky Team/but I don't see them as the best choice for Asia. I think we have enough points with any of the alliances for the trip.)

Just curious, how many bmi points did you burn up in total for the trip?

Good use of hotel status to get those upgrades. I have never pursued hotel status before, but will get status with some chain prior to the trip, just for upgrade possibilities. Have not figured out who we will try to get status with.

Thanks for the report.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. CruzinAway, I booked before a few amendments to the bmi programme, which would make it more expensive now, but we burned a total of 145k using miles+cash. If you know Diamond Club at all, it was booked as a z1-z8 one way, z8-z8 one way, and z8-z1 one way. There are even cheaper ways to do it, but require more time and hassle.

As for hotel status, don't forget that for Intercontinental, you can buy Ambassador status for $150 or 24000 points. You don't get the free minibar etc that Royal Ambassador does, but you still get upgrades, late checkouts, etc and a Free Weekend Night certificate, that will usually pay for the membership cost just by itself! Only for IC hotels though, no use in the others in the chain - Crowne Plaza/Holiday Inn/etc.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:33 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

a gret report .. have been on UA HKG-SIN // SIN-HKG back in November myself, but unfortunately back in Y. But the flight times fitted best in our schedule and plane for HKG and SIN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.