Airports near "Rough" Neighborhoods

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airports near "Rough" Neighborhoods

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The areas around YYZ are mostly middle class neighborhoods (Mississauga, Brampton, Etobicoke) with some Industrial Zones. HKG is surrounded by Nature (Water, Mountain) and Tung Chung which is a middle class community. AKL is surrounded by water and meadows and the communities around there are fairly middle class as well. So these three are not in proximity to ghetto-ish communities.

I agree that east of LAX (east of the 405) is one big crime-ridden area I wouldn't venture into on surface streets especially after dark. If someone needs to go east, take the freeway.

As for LAS, isn't the seedy part of town is North LV which is far from the airport? Heck even the main strip area is closer to this part than is the airport.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ness1216
TPA is pretty nice, the area is a business district with upscale shopping etc.
That's south of the airport, where the access road is. You can catch it when you come in, but north is light industrial & warehouses, and northeast (especially behind the Delta hangar) is kind of a slum.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 4:27 pm

I love Oakland dearly, but must agree with earlier posters; it's just a couple of kilometers from parts best left unexplored.

And Chester, PA. I worked there for a while. Being near the airport was about the only redeeming quality I found to Chester. And it made Camden look like Came-lot.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lightbulb

BSL, ZRH, GVA...: Pretty much any airport in Switzerland.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by pinworm
and worst of all? Houston Hobby.

I wouldn't want to live there (nor do I now...), but there are much worse parts of Houston than the area surrounding Hobby.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 3:44 pm

I used to have a commuter apartment a block from Houston Hobby in the mid-80's for three years and I have to tell you it was pretty iffy then, and has gotten far worse. I wouldn't drive through there (on Broadway) at night very slowly, if at all. Very handy airport, traffic-wise however. Just go there during the day.

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler

I wouldn't want to live there (nor do I now...), but there are much worse parts of Houston than the area surrounding Hobby.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:26 am

Programs: LX SEN; Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by nerd
BSL, ZRH, GVA...: Pretty much any airport in Switzerland.

Pretty much every airport in Switzerland is situated near nice little villages. I would feel safe there at any time. My favourite is BRN. Very nice little clean airport in a field between the hills near a quiet suburbs.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:59 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by bundi404
The area around JFk isnt too pleasant
LGA isnt exactly a picnic either hehehe
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:12 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Yeah, but in London terms, they are actually some distance away. The area around LHR isn't too bad...
True, true. With the exception of Hounslow and Acton Town (which I'd give about 5/10 and aren't too too bad), most of the area within a ten-mile radius of LHR is pretty decent.

The neighbourhoods around LCY are pretty crappy.

My vote goes to the area around KHI (Karachi). What a hole.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by MisterNice
And PHL is directly SW of the famous WELCOME TO PHILADELPHIA world class filthy-n-noisy huge car shredder and, fortunately, you wont find any tacky people living anywhere near that monster nor near the smelly oil refinery across the street.
Isn't there a sewage treatment plant under the south end of the Pensorse Ave bridge too?

I used to have to pass all the nastiness everyday working a stone's throw away from what is now the new and shiny A terminals.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Palal may be referring to the area between CDG and Paris which includes some pretty rough areas. I agree with you though that the area right around CDG, including Roissy and Le Mesnil Amelot are just fine.
I'd agree. I drove through a couple of villages NE of CDG looking for fuel and they're perfectly fine sleep French villages. It's towards Paris on the RER that you cross some less-than-savoury urban areas.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:22 am

deleted

Last edited by pitz; Oct 7, 2009 at 11:23 am Reason: redundant
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuperVoid

Pretty much every airport in Switzerland is situated near nice little villages. I would feel safe there at any time. My favourite is BRN. Very nice little clean airport in a field between the hills near a quiet suburbs.
This is why I was only 99.9% certain that no one would take my post seriously.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Years ago, WN flew into DET and not DTW. Driving from DET to downtown on local streets was quite an experience.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Not sure why people have mentioned LAS - other than a couple of nudie bars on Paradise, the area around the airport is largely empty desert.

TUS has some "wonderful" trailer trash parks close by.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.