Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Taking Soil, Sand, or Water Home as Souvenir?

Old Sep 23, 2009, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

In a few weeks I will be going to the Sahara Desert (Egypt). Will it be ok if I take a handful of sand home with me as a souvenir?

I've heard that taking soil and water is not encouraged because of the foreign bacteria, etc. but how about sand?
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:08 pm

I know US Customs asks specifically if you are carrying any soil, fruit or seeds with you and will probably confiscate those items when returning to the US. I haven't tried carrying sand through customs, but I'm guessing that it would be considered a soil since it can still hold bugs, seeds, bacteria, etc. in it.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:16 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage, Aerolineas Plus, Hertz, Hyatt, Marriott , SPG.
I collected snail shells while enjoying the sun in Vancouver, then put them in my checked bag and visited Los Angeles, went thru LAX and IAD and arrived in Buenos Aires. I didn't have a small bag or recipient for the sand though. Now I'm happy I got "a piece" of Vancouver and I have it here till I get the chance to see this beautiful city again. Never though of it as harmful or dangerous or anything, and luggage is going to collect bacteria at the airports in a way or another.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Legally you would be required to declare it and it would most likely be confiscated. Are you going to get caught if you don't declare? Probably not but you might be bringing in bacteria or other pests into the US. I would not do it
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Domestically I have sand from FL and HI, and possibly AZ (can't remember)... Haven't tried int'l yet...

Usually no issue if checking the luggage... once when I was much younger... I filled up an empty milk gallon jug full of sand... it put my bags overweight so I put it in my backpack... needless to say, TSA was like what? I wanted to dump it out and send it thru in their trays, but my parents would not let me... so I had to leave it... [It was too thick for the xray to see thru the sand]
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Smuggling sand - that's a new one!

I would imagine that the laws of Egypt (or whatever other country in other cases) would prohibit the removal of sand from the country; is it really that interesting?

It would definitely be a disease risk and come under scrutiny by Aussie customs officers; I'd imagine it could cause trouble in the US or other countries, but check the local customs rules.

Why not just have some in your sneakers?
It's not like you really need to bring too much, right?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, RCC, HH GOLD, SPG, OMNI, KIMPTON, A-CLUB
Originally Posted by Delta767
Will it be ok if I take a handful of sand home with me as a souvenir?

I've heard that taking soil and water is not encouraged because of the foreign bacteria, etc. but how about sand?
According to the CBP website under the Soil, Sand, Minerals, and Shells section
-http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/agri_prod_inus.xml:

Pure sand, such as a small container of decorative beach sand, is usually allowed. Always check with the permit unit in advance for details.

It's the soil and earth that they have issues with. I remember I went to a cheese farm in Canada and played with some goats (hey, I do strange things on vacations). On the Customs form, I did indicate that I went to a farm and had been handling livestock -- the agents (politely) asked for the shoes and clothes I was wearing to check for any soil that may have been left. There wasn't, but if there were, they said they would have cleaned and disinfected the shoes or garments. Although, that situation wasn't really that big of a concern because I had been in Canada (the place is cleaner than the U.S. for the most part.), but had I come from Asia or Africa there would have been a greater concern.

I think you may be OK to re-enter with sand from Egypt, but check with the Egyptian laws to make sure you can take it out of the country.

Last edited by czarina; Sep 24, 2009 at 1:55 am Reason: grammar and clarity
Old Sep 24, 2009, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Domestically I have sand from FL and HI, and possibly AZ (can't remember)...
don't take sand (or rocks or any other mineral) from hawaii. madam pele does not approve.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 3:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by crabbing
don't take sand (or rocks or any other mineral) from hawaii. madam pele does not approve.
I've heard that of lava... rest assured, mine is not of the black variety...

I really wanted to keep some when I was younger, as my family had hiked on the Big Island out to the active lava flow and I got to stick my hiking stick into the flow and stir it around a bit... pulling some out and subsequently cooling it... but rest assured, my parents wouldn't hear it...

I am taking a geology class right now and was useful to bring in to class ^
Old Sep 24, 2009, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by BiziBB
Smuggling sand - that's a new one!

I would imagine that the laws of Egypt (or whatever other country in other cases) would prohibit the removal of sand from the country; is it really that interesting?

It would definitely be a disease risk and come under scrutiny by Aussie customs officers; I'd imagine it could cause trouble in the US or other countries, but check the local customs rules.

Why not just have some in your sneakers?
It's not like you really need to bring too much, right?
Yes, it would be confiscated if you were trying to take it into Australia and you would be subjected to heavy fines if you hadn't declared it.

I imagine that US customs regulations would be similarly strict, although they might be enforced with less rigour than the Australian ones.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Taking seaside rocks from Maui can get you a fine and maybe some time in the local jail. Not certain about soil or sand removal.

MisterNice
Old Sep 24, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by crabbing
The post offices in Hawaii regularly get lava rocks returned. Here are some of the letters that came with the returned rocks:

http://www.volcanogallery.com/lavarockstories_New.htm
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:00 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Interesting stories.

I have always found that the best recourse is to declare it, even if you run the risk of having it confiscated.

I brought nuts (yes, toasted and salted, but it's agriculture products nonetheless) back from Israel. Since they were roasted and handled at the corner vendor and not pre-packaged like a snack food, I always declared them. Most of the time no one cared. Once or twice the agents had me run the nuts through the X-ray machines, claiming that if there were any small insects inside, they would not survive the x-ray.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:10 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
It happened some years before Customs developed such concerns, but the Marquis de LaFayette made a tour of the U.S. late in his life and returned to France with a substantial quantity of soil from Virginia, in which he was eventually buried.

There are some rather interesting and inspiring stories surrounding these facts.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:26 pm

I recently brought a bottle of sand from Omaha beach back-no problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.