Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you smuggle a big Koala from Australia to France?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you smuggle a big Koala from Australia to France?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
I don't know about koalas, but Richard Gere might be able to offer tips on how to smuggle a gerbil.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 8:21 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I can't wait to see the pictures! :-D

xxx.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Credit Cards
Exclamation

good lord, it was so embarrassing carrying this thing around the Brissy CBD today... everyone was staring at me like an idiot... most Asians were pointing fingers and taking pictures like I was the city attraction.

but nevertheless managed to get one of those tourists to take a shot for me on the Brisbane River, aboard a City Cat overlooking the CBD from South Brisbane:

Now don't point your finger at the monitor and laugh you too!

Luckily you can't smell this thing... I was trying to be cute and spritz it with a little bit of Lolita Lempika at the store (my cousins favorite perfume) and the damn spritzer broke dousting the poor bear... now it reeks of perfume!

I left it outside on the washline to let it air out before the trip... this is going to be a lot more embarrassing than I initially thought it would be.

Will report how it went. Hopefully it doesn't end up in a trash bin in SIN or CDG... lol

--Russ
Old Oct 6, 2009, 2:44 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
LOL, sorry, but I *am* laughing now! :-D So you have decided not to pack it in your luggage, but bring it as hand-luggage?

xxx.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:02 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Can't believe you not only downsized but also tripled your Koala purchase. How can you handle 3 when one is too much already?

I am sure your cousins will love love them. Please catch the Kodak moment so we may see how their faces light up when they see this lovely present.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:40 am

I once took a stuffed animal which was 1 meter tall and had a "waist" of a slim adult without problems on AUA PVG-VIE-ACH (So you can see this has happened already some time ago) and it was no problem so far... had it as handluggage, and on the first flight from PVG to VIE it fitted into the locker above easily, the second one I just put it onto the seat next to me (But would have worked out to hold it with me for the whole hour or so it took)

So I guess you should be fine with your little Koala
Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:56 am
Community Director Emerita

That is an exceptionally cute set of koalas. The recipient will definitely smile.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 8:49 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Reminds me of a trip to London a few years ago during the Beanie Baby craze.... someone on a board I visited wanted the McDonald's teenie beanie babies... and I wanted the Britannica british beanie buddy. We did a trade at her shop in London... and I was carrying this around for a week on my trip... not wanting to risk losing it...

My partner has some priceless photos that will never see the light of day.

You will be making someone very happy.... you should make an album of the trip with the koala to add to the gift.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:51 am
Original Poster

an update... from Amsterdam!

I have been taking far less pix than I thought I would... this is even more humiliating than walking around Brisbane with it, they get the "Koala" idea in Australia... Asia and Europe are a bit taken aback...

I do have some shots which I will upload once I make it to my final destination... so far I'm running approximately 4 hours behind schedule.

I'm a terrible FlyerTalker... I must admit, twice now I've been faced with the opportunity to get something out of an airline after things went sideways, and instead I was a typical consumer... determined to get to my destination close to the scheduled time at no matter what the cost... hense instead of spending 24 hours in Singapore on Air France's dime, I'm spending 4 hours in Amsterdam courtesy of KLM.

My goal is to get someone to take a pic of me with the FT Koala on one of the canal bridges... not sure IF I'll build up enough courage or find an english speaker... I wonder what the proper jeer phrase is in dutch that I should be anticipating?... lol

stay tuned...

--Russ
Old Oct 12, 2009, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Mission Accomplished!!!

well, save for a little blushing, the mission was accomplished trouble free... in fact I even got to travel on additional flights after 2 cancellations, but the details are boring here are the pix:

about to board a Qantas A330-300 to Singapore

covert operation, eyes only... LOL

every flight I was on I had a free seat next to me

so naturally the Koala came out for some air

Qantas Airbus A330-300

KLM Boeing 777-200

Singapore to Amsterdam had a whole row to myself; after AF flight to Paris was cancelled due to a death. Decided to spend 4 hours in Amsterdam rather than 24 hours in Singapore

AMS airport, Koala riding around in style

we went sightseeing too

cheking out the canals

Air France Airbus A318 to Lyon after CFE flight got cancelled last minute; rush rush rush to go via LYS

finally aboard an Air France/Regional Embraer ERJ135 to CFE

Welcome to your new home Koala... Clermont-Ferrand; Auvergne

et voila; piece of cake!

--Russ
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:10 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I am beginning to think those Koalas were actually FOR Russ....

Great pictures!
Old Oct 17, 2009, 3:59 am
Original Poster

in a way...
Old Oct 17, 2009, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Excellent pictures!^

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 17, 2009, 7:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, United Mileage Plus
How much does the big koala cost?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Arrow

Originally Posted by isa13
How much does the big koala cost?
Much less than a 40 second phone call at the gate in Schipol; $51US for a less than a minute call to france?

come on!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.