Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

most overrated "popular" major travel city?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

most overrated "popular" major travel city?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat
People seek out different things when they travel, so these type of threads gets filled with "I hate X" and people responding with "it is inconceivable to hate X".

Personally, I don't really care that much about shopping opportunities or nightlife (A/B list clubs) or whatever people tend to do in LA so I would put LA (really the LA area b/c the downtown is an empty wasteland) at the top of my overrated list. I do tend to seek out foodie and wine stuff, and compared to the other big cities in the world, LA is lagging behind (there are some exceptions for Mexican, Korean and Japanese food). The sightseeing and historical items are lacking as well. Having lived there for four years, I rarely have a desire to go back to visit.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Clearly it is NY City...rude, smelly, cramped.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 6:03 pm

Programs: AC
My 2cents...Milan. For a fashion capital, I was surprised that there wasn't much to do there other than clothes shop and eat. I was quite bored there and saw the Duomo and the nearby tourists sites in half a day.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by chatmax
My 2cents...Milan. For a fashion capital, I was surprised that there wasn't much to do there other than clothes shop and eat. I was quite bored there and saw the Duomo and the nearby tourists sites in half a day.
For a fashion capital, I would only expect to eat and shop for clothes.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dingo
Clearly it is NY City...rude, smelly, cramped.
There are millions of people living in NY City. How many of them were rude to you? 2, 3, 27,000?
Old Sep 1, 2009, 7:44 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Without a doubt, Buenos Aires.

A good example of how wacky politics and isolation along with lack of economic opportunity can do really bad things to a place with potential. The overwhelming poverty was really, really depressing.

Good steaks and wine though.
Overwhelming poverty? Didnt see any. Not as overt as the brazilian favelas.

Beautiful women, great food, pretty city, cheap prices, oh and beautiful women.

My overrated city: London.

Rosebud: London?
Avi: London.
Avi's Colleague: London?
Avi: Yes, London. You know: fish, chips, cup 'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary ....ing Poppins... LONDON.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 7:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Looks like tempers are already flaring over controversial choices like New York. Something tells me this thread is not long for this world.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by CMK10
Looks like tempers are already flaring over controversial choices like New York. Something tells me this thread is not long for this world.
I should have instituted a rule: no defending where you are from. @:-)
Old Sep 1, 2009, 9:17 pm

Programs: HA Gold, Wn CP, US Silver, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres Circle*, HH silver,
Getting ready to duck for cover...

But I think Honolulu is way over-rated. I feel bad for people who visit Honolulu and Waikiki and think they've seen Hawaii. The shopping is stinky. It's the exact same shops as in any decent sized suburban mall on the mainland. Oh, woohoo a CHEESECAKE Factory! Wow....drive by 3 every day on my way to work!

I also didn't care for Florence, IT. The noise level from the vespa's was astounding. After the museums, what?
Old Sep 1, 2009, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
But my number one is Tokyo - it is one of the worst ways to experience Japan and Asia. I travel there frequently. Once you get over the novelty of living in a very crowded beehive, there is very little under the surface. Other than the food (which you can certainly get elsewhere in Japan), there is no good reason to visit Tokyo.
Yea, I agree, it isn't worth it for more than 1.5 days, if that.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 10:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Los Angeles. Charmless place.

Surprised at the NY hating. In my mind it is one of only 3 or 4 truly great world cities, along with London, Tokyo, San Francisco and possibly Sydney.
You and me both. Although Los Angeles, Los Angeles is a whole load of nothing there is a lot in the surrounding area of interest.

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Being hollered at by panhandlers while walking to get some mediocre Chinese takeout puts SFO at the top of my overrated list.
Right, because panhandlers can only holler at you when in San Francisco
Old Sep 1, 2009, 10:14 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
My choice is Paris.

The city is fine, but definitely meets the criteria of over-rated and over-hyped. (The 2nd being my addition.)
Old Sep 1, 2009, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Having never been there, I have heard that Rio is a disappointing city. Its legend is outdated and it isn't what people expect of it when they arrive.

For me, it's LA, Las Vegas, Toronto, Dallas, St. Petersburg.

I didn't have a good time in Rome, but I am giving it the benefit of the doubt, as it was the week the Pope was being buried.

My favorite capitals (in the way they are defined here) are NYC, London, Sydney, Paris, Amsterdam and Barcelona.

For those who don't like NYC, I can see where you are coming from. NYC has a ton of downsides (inefficient portions of its public transit system is what drives me nuts the most), but it has so may things to offer that the net outcome is that it's still great. It's midnight on a Tuesday and I can roll out of bed, go out to the Lower East Side and find a band playing at a bar that is packed. I think there are just some people who are made for NY and some who aren't.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
I usually find something/someone interesting anywhere I go. The only places I really ever hated were New Orleans and Las Vegas. And we know what happened to NO, don't we?
Old Sep 1, 2009, 10:29 pm

Programs: DJ Gold, PC Plat
Originally Posted by TravellinHusker
For the US, I say Los Angeles.
For South America, I say Sao Paolo.
For Europe, I say Milan.
For Asia, I say Delhi.
For Africa, I saw Cairo.
For Australia/New Zealand, I've never been to a disappointing city there.
I found Cairo to be fascinating - but I did have a personal tour guide - a British Lady living there which helped me get a great feel for the city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.