Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How does one go about finding the cheapest flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2009, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

I booked my first flight ever a few days ago! I had used various price comparison websites like expedia and orbitz, but going to southwest.com directly allowed me to find the cheapest flights from SFO to Las Vegas. Then today, I found that united.com offered cheaper rates!

my questions:
1) what is the general strategy to find the cheapest rates? do I just go to the airlines websites one by one and compare? the comparison websites don't seem to be showing the cheapest flight.
2) is there a website that shows the historical prices of traveling from point a to point b with certain airlines so I can determine if the price I'm paying now may actually be the lowest during that particular time of the year?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 6:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Mileage Plus, SkyMiles
Re:

http://www.farecompare.com/ is a good place to start, it gives you a good historical perspective on fares. Still doesn't aggregate fares from southwest though.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bobloblaw
1) what is the general strategy to find the cheapest rates? do I just go to the airlines websites one by one and compare? the comparison websites don't seem to be showing the cheapest flight.
It takes time. I'm probably not the best searcher here but I have several strategies:
  1. I have alerts set up on key city pairs on each of the airline sites and some of the comparison sites (i.e. Travelocity) that send me an email when a certain flight falls below a price I detemine
  2. If planning a specific flight, I first search the comparison sites to find schedules and options, then go to each of the airline sites and find the same flights or other options
  3. Determine if it is better for me to pay in cash or miles
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:11 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Most of the regulars use ita - http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch -
or kayak.com. Southwest won't appear in those but it is pretty easy to check everyone else and then compare at Southwest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.