Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How to not let your two free checked bags go to waste?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to not let your two free checked bags go to waste?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2009, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B
They have arrangements with customs. The more legitimate ones are registered as commercial importers. The shadier ones simply bribe their way through.

Some airline crews (Cubana and Air Zimbabwe come to mind primarily) are well known for this activity as well. I remember one day when a porter wheeling a cart with ~20 suitcases came up to the Cubana crew checkin desk at Gatwick. That was just for the captain!! There were over 100 bags between the entire crew. Thankfully the IL96 had plenty of space!!!
I know you are very experienced in these things and have a lot of stories to tell. Perhaps you should write a book and have it turned into a movie or documentary. I'd love to see that.

100 bags for just the crew is crazy. Now we know how Cuba survives the embargo and how privileged those crew member must be.

Till
Old Aug 14, 2009, 5:18 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Hmm, this is not what I'd expected from the thread title.

Whenever I travel to Africa or Latin America, I need about half a bag for my stuff -- I fill the rest of it and a second bag up with crayons, second-hand clothes, pens, small toys, and cheap non-melty candy (like generic lollypops).

I think that's a great use of extra luggage allowance, and these things are greatly appreciated in areas where such consumer goods are unavailable, too expensive, or whatever.

I know I'm not alone in doing this; it never even occurred to me to take luxury items to sell to the wealthy.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by B747-437B
They have arrangements with customs. The more legitimate ones are registered as commercial importers. The shadier ones simply bribe their way through.

Some airline crews (Cubana and Air Zimbabwe come to mind primarily) are well known for this activity as well. I remember one day when a porter wheeling a cart with ~20 suitcases came up to the Cubana crew checkin desk at Gatwick. That was just for the captain!! There were over 100 bags between the entire crew. Thankfully the IL96 had plenty of space!!!
I knew it there is no overhead bins in the middle section in economy class. I believe all carryon should be checked. I knows IL86/IL96 does not have enough room. There is no room to storage the carryon bags into the overhead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.