Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by trooper
Booked a Europe trip (from SYD) with US miles back in THAT heyday for Mum and brother... (Berlin marathon)...Asked them after the trip (which they loved) what they thought of the Lounges on the way there and back... Blank looks....

Damn... I should have briefed them properly!
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Our son in law had a similar situation. He was on a work funded trip in J to Chicago and on return he said he couldn't get in to the lounge as he wasn't a member of their frequent flyer program. When we heard we said you should of contacted us to query it because that is not true. It is probably one of the only times he'll fly in J so he was now disappointed he missed going to the lounge.
That's exactly what I thought too.... didn't have any status at the time.

My flight had been cancelled and the agent rebooked me on a later flight but to an alternate city and I casually lamented on not having lounge access...

She then gave me the business class boarding pass and I was delighted, but didn't know that I could use the lounge and she never mentioned anything about that.

And then I found out about FT shortly after that... and the rest is history...
Old Oct 15, 2018, 5:30 am

Flying ARN-AMS, got exciting somewhere over northern Germany about which train to take home. Making some turns, realizing we were to land on a runway with a short taxi time; I might catch an even earlier train. We pull up into a gate very near to the terminal, I dash to the train platform and catch the earlier train. The trip home got even better as I also made my connection to the tram with no waiting and I was home in record time...only to find out my car is not parked in front of my house as I went to the Airport by car a few days earlier...
jackal, Statman, 84fiero and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Another user name to remember
Flying ARN-AMS, got exciting somewhere over northern Germany about which train to take home. Making some turns, realizing we were to land on a runway with a short taxi time; I might catch an even earlier train. We pull up into a gate very near to the terminal, I dash to the train platform and catch the earlier train. The trip home got even better as I also made my connection to the tram with no waiting and I was home in record time...only to find out my car is not parked in front of my house as I went to the Airport by car a few days earlier...
I did something similar but nowhere near as extreme as you.

I landed and then went to the wrong parking lot (long-term parking) in the pouring rain and couldn't find my car for 30 minutes... and then realized I parked in the short-term lot which meant waiting for the parking shuttle to get back to the main terminal where the short-term lot was.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by trooper
Booked a Europe trip (from SYD) with US miles back in THAT heyday for Mum and brother... (Berlin marathon)...Asked them after the trip (which they loved) what they thought of the Lounges on the way there and back... Blank looks....

Damn... I should have briefed them properly!
I quit wasting my miles on my family once I realized they never knew how to properly enjoy their use.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: AA, DL
Years ago I had an early-morning flight out of SJC . . . 6:30 or something like that. I don't remember what time I set my alarm for before I went to bed, but I turned it off, took a shower, finished packing and headed for the airport. I returned my rental car and when I walked into the terminal, I didn't see a soul — not one single person. "Strange," I thought to myself. I look at my watch and see it's about 1:30 a.m.

Just a few months ago I had a connection in PHL and I swear the flight left at 1:00. When I finally get to the gate at around 12:15, it's deserted. I look at my boarding pass I notice departure time was 11:00, not 1:00. So I walk to the customer service desk and the very nice woman checks and knows I got into PHL with plenty of time to spare. "Why didn't you make the flight?" she asks, and I have no choice but to admit I was doing nothing but wasting time because I thought I had hours to kill.
LikeToJourney likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by threeoh
Yeah the BVG tickets are one-way tickets good for up to 2 horus, not a 2-hour pass. You cannot travel towards your origin.

I know someone who got out of this by saying they had gone one stop too far and were just riding back to their intended destination. If you still have an appeal opportunity you could try that...
Tuen Mun and Yuen Long Light Rail system is also the same - cannot travel towards the origin nor repeating stop - many Kowloon people are fined violating the rule
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by rsqrott
Always, always look at the airport monitors.
todays dumb travel mistake brought to you courtesy of the delta app, which was showing the wrong gate information. By the time I had the sense to get up and check the monitor resulting in a race across YYZ my flight had left.
I did get rebooked on a (much) later flight...that was then delayed to the point that it was going to miss the last connection to my home airport. By some miracle I managed to get onto an earlier flight stand by and am currently waiting at the gate to board my connection home.
after checking the monitors in the airport, of course.
Flew thru YYZ recently - there were 2 sets of airport monitor systems and DL had their own - all of them showing different gates and other info for my flight, and none of the 3 sets of info was correct
rsqrott likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
Flew thru YYZ recently - there were 2 sets of airport monitor systems and DL had their own - all of them showing different gates and other info for my flight, and none of the 3 sets of info was correct
Now I don't feel quite so dumb! But I'll still never make that mistake again...and I'll always check the flight # at the gate.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably not in the "dumbest" category, but once every hundred flights or so I'll wait and board at the wrong gate.
I queue up for priority boarding and then my BP scan gives a big error message.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by Plato90s
Sheraton... not worth it.... just made bad assumptions on how quickly I could get to the airport by cab.

After that... Airport Express only. Trains are a lot more predictable.
Taxi, as a form of road transport, is known to be extremely slow, which can travel only at about 70 km/h under normal circumstances, while a train can easily go at somewhere around 120 km/h.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
This happened about a year and a half ago. My then-GF and I went to Ghent. I booked the flights, and she booked the AirBnB. Except she had accidentally chosen the wrong checkout date, instead it was the day before we were leaving. We are enjoying ourselves around town in the evening when she gets a call. Our hosts were wondering whether we were coming back for our luggage, as they had someone who wanted to check in. They'd been trying to contact us all day, but only got us then. They had packed up our stuff, since there was someone using the space after us. We had to run back to the AirBnB and then figure out what to do next. Turns out, there was a convention and almost all hotels were booked full. We finally found a room in a hostel since someone had no-showed.

I always make sure to double check check-out dates now.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
This happened about a year and a half ago. My then-GF and I went to Ghent. I booked the flights, and she booked the AirBnB. Except she had accidentally chosen the wrong checkout date...
Is that why she's your "then-GF"?
dinoscool3 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:40 am

MANY years ago, I was travelling to Ft Lauderdale to meet a friend from Chicago. We were going to spend a few days there, then drive to the Keys for Fantasy Fest (basically Key West's version of Halloween Mardi Gras) and spend a week with some friends who have a house in Key West. I was looking at my car reservation on the plane and at some point I had the realization that my driver's license had expired about a month before and that was going to make it impossible to get a rental car.

Of course my friend, living in Chicago, doesn't drive or have a license. When I got there, the person at the desk wouldn't rent to me with an expired license. It was a no go, and this was way before Uber or ride sharing and taxis would be very expensive, so I hatched a plan. I was going to turn on all my charm, my biggest dopey tourist smile, and go down the line of rental car desks and ask each rental car place for a quote and telling them I forgot to make a reservation yadda yadda, and when it came time to give them my driver's license I would see if they noticed. Third desk it worked, when the agent (I can still picture her today) asked for my driver's licenses I changed it up. I said, here's my license but I need to find my extension (in CA they give you a paper extension to go with your license on renewals). I said I must have left it at home and played it off like it was no big deal, and said " the extension is through 2001" and she went with it. I had my keys and I was off! It didn't even cost me an arm and a leg with a last minute rental. I was damned lucky that day!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
This happened about a year and a half ago. My then-GF and I went to Ghent. I booked the flights, and she booked the AirBnB. Except she had accidentally chosen the wrong checkout date, instead it was the day before we were leaving. We are enjoying ourselves around town in the evening when she gets a call. Our hosts were wondering whether we were coming back for our luggage, as they had someone who wanted to check in. They'd been trying to contact us all day, but only got us then. They had packed up our stuff, since there was someone using the space after us. We had to run back to the AirBnB and then figure out what to do next. Turns out, there was a convention and almost all hotels were booked full. We finally found a room in a hostel since someone had no-showed.

I always make sure to double check check-out dates now.
I never trust others to make my travel plans for me unless I've seen everything they've booked ahead of time. (i.e. I'm not departing to anywhere with this information unknown to me)
tentseller likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I never trust others to make my travel plans for me unless I've seen everything they've booked ahead of time. (i.e. I'm not departing to anywhere with this information unknown to me)
Normally I agree, but I thought I could trust her!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.