Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Old Oct 9, 19, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, IHG Spire Amb., Marriott Platinum, National EE
About 3.5 years ago, shortly after meeting my now wife, I flew to Chicago to visit her to take her on a proper first date.

I was already flying DEN-MSP, but managed to change my flight with an 18-hour layover or so in Chicago. What I didn't realize was that the layover flew into ORD and out of MDW.

Sure enough, after a great first date, night on the town and brunch the following morning, she drove me to ORD about an hour before my flight as I only had carry-on luggage and TSA Precheck. I scanned my BP at TSA and the scanner blinked red. "Must be the wrong boarding pass," the TSA agent said. Looked closer, and it was the right day and time. Tried again, still red. He looked at it and broke the news to me.

So I had to call the woman I'd only been on one date and let her know that I'm an idiot. She graciously turned around, drove me to MDW. I got put on the next flight and managed to land only about 45 minutes later than originally ticketed.

Makes for a fun story now, but I was sure kicking myself then!
CMK10 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by rdh0924 View Post
So I had to call the woman I'd only been on one date and let her know that I'm an idiot.
This is why the universe, in its infinite wisdom and compassion, invented taxis!
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, IHG Spire Amb., Marriott Platinum, National EE
Originally Posted by threeoh View Post
This is why the universe, in its infinite wisdom and compassion, invented taxis!
Haha, hindsight is definitely 20/20.

In fairness, I don't think I actually asked for a ride, but apparently felt comfortable enough to ask her the best way to get there if someone hypothetically needed to quickly get to MDW from ORD. She offered to pull a U-turn and give me a ride. I was never very good at dating, so luckily it all worked out!

But yes, at 24 I was young and dumb! (Not sure much has changed at 28 haha)
Old Oct 10, 19, 5:44 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; Shangrila Jade; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by threeoh View Post
Haha, my thoughts exactly!
Old Oct 10, 19, 12:02 pm

Programs: Southwest
What a great story. It demonstrated the grace, mercy, compassion of the woman you married! It also showed that the first date must have made a great impression on her.
Old Oct 10, 19, 2:54 pm

Not me, but my boss - was flying home to JAX from DFW. At security, apparently the woman in front of him accidentally picked up his briefcase, which was similar enough to hers (the one she left behind) that he picked hers up and didn't notice until a couple of hours later.

He looked through bag and found her laptop and contact information (in Brazil). He contacted her directly (rather than going through our corporate security) and arranged to cross-ship the laptops which were in each bag. She was super embarrassed and apologetic about grabbing the wrong bag. Neither was very concerned about getting the briefcase back, but obviously the laptops were a big thing.

So he went down to FedEx Monday morning and overnighted her laptop to her.

And she didn't.

So now she has two.
abaheti and DeepUnderground like this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
And she didn't.
The more I see stories such as this, the more I think it's not such a bad idea to put something in my bag to make sure it gets flagged. I'll take a hand-search every time if it guarantees that I never lose my valuables.

Seth
MEABFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 1:00 pm

Programs: IHG, M&M, FB, Avios, Le Club, etc.
Earlier this month I was on a business trip in Chile (Regiůn de los Lagos), and decided to spend 24 hours of the weekend across the border in the Argentinian Patagonia. This is not an easy procedure: when I rented the car, well in advance I had to provide all my details and pay quite a hefty amount of money, for them to issue the documents I had to show to the immigration officers of both countries.

Everything went fine until I reached the first village in Argentina. I bought a few things in the supermarket, I put them in the trunk of the car, and when I closed it, I realised I had left the key inside! Now that would normally be quite a big problem, but to add insult to injury:
  • I was only left with my wallet and mobile phone
  • I was meant to spend the night 110 km away, and to fly from Osorno (Chile) the next afternoon
  • The border was already closed (it opens from 8 AM to 7 PM)
  • The border controls from both countries are 40 km apart, and not everyone is allowed to cross them without prior notice. The rental car guy from Chile couldnít, and there was no time to get permission.
Breaking the window was the last resort, because I was told that the car was going back to Argentina 2 days later, and the documents for the next customer had already been issued. I went to the local police station, and they suggested a visit to the locksmith, but it was closed. In the end, I booked a hotel room in the village, and I managed to find a taxi driver who was allowed to cross the border. He was to meet the rental car guy at the Chilean control at 9 AM in the morning and bring me the key. It turned out right, and I could finally open the car and drive to the airport in time for my flight.

Iím glad it didnít cost me a fortune, as the 150 km return trip of the taxi only cost about 40 euros, the hotel night wasnít too expensive, and the rental company didnít charge me a penny, despite the 100 km ride to the border and back (Iím glad I booked the car from a family business, not a multinational). But I learnt my lesson well!
Old Nov 26, 19, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
I booked a return flight BOS-SJC on a Saturday by mistake - I thought it was for Friday. There was big Microsoft conference, so getting a flight back on Friday night was impossible. That night in the hotel, there were several false fire alarms that night, rendering sleep moot. Ever since, I triple check dates and days of the weeks on tickets, and I am still surprised when I get it right. Last summer, we had a 4 month trip through Europe, the USA, and Cook Islands. I checked the dates in the fights, hotels, AirBnB's, and rental cars religiously. I even created a comprehensive spreadsheet and timeline to be sure I had it right.
Old Nov 26, 19, 10:40 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; Shangrila Jade; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG View Post
I booked a return flight BOS-SJC on a Saturday by mistake - I thought it was for Friday. There was big Microsoft conference, so getting a flight back on Friday night was impossible. That night in the hotel, there were several false fire alarms that night, rendering sleep moot. Ever since, I triple check dates and days of the weeks on tickets, and I am still surprised when I get it right. Last summer, we had a 4 month trip through Europe, the USA, and Cook Islands. I checked the dates in the fights, hotels, AirBnB's, and rental cars religiously. I even created a comprehensive spreadsheet and timeline to be sure I had it right.
I made the mistake once of booking a hotel for the day of departure for a US-to-europe trip, forgetting about the day lost in transit. I looked like a real idiot when I showed up and they had cancelled my whole reservation as a no show.
Old Nov 27, 19, 9:41 am

Programs: United Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
I made the mistake once of booking a hotel for the day of departure for a US-to-europe trip, forgetting about the day lost in transit. I looked like a real idiot when I showed up and they had cancelled my whole reservation as a no show.
This seems to be a common mistake (one I've made myself), when looking back through this thread. For me, I was very fortunate that Hilton graciously changed my (award) reservation and honored the reservation despite the mistake.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Nov 27, 19, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
I assume 5% of passengers on each east-bound TATL flight have made this mistake.

The TPAC flights, with the international date line, are so confusing I feel like people double and triple check.
Monty_GER likes this.
Old Nov 27, 19, 7:24 pm

Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
I do my own flight bookings and had some 12 odd sectors to fly and I forgot about one sector as I had not noted down and kept the bookings in my email and forgot about it and booked the same sector on a different airline but on the same day. I could not cancel it as it was a low cost booking in Asia so I took the higher fare flight. Now I have started using an app to keep a record of my bookings. I did end up at the wrong airport once to get my connecting flight. Actually I booked my connecting flight from a different airport and city to my arriving flight.

I did know of once incident to someone I know who actually was a diplomat who got agitated just before departure on his national carrier after they pushed back from the gate and had to come back to the gate as he forgot his passport. All the while he was sitting on it. He thought he left it behind at the Lounge.

Search this Thread