Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by nyc10036
I guess this is the disadvantage of booking flights on my own online, as such an error could have been prevented with a travel agent booking on my behalf.

I am sure this happens relatively frequently for flights leaving shortly after midnight!
I'm not sure what makes you so optimistic that travel agents never make these kinds of mistakes, either...
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: WN or DL; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by Norri
Of course a reminder wouldn't be necessary if they used the 24hr clock.
Actually, no, the confusion isn't between 1:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.....the confusion is between 1:00 a.m. on 12/23 and 1:00 a.m. on 12/24. If we switch both of those to 0100, how would that help?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:29 pm

Mine:

Packed everything. Thought I had done a great job of it and was quite proud of myself for how little room my clothing and personal effects were occupying in my carry-on. I get to my destination and realize I forgot to pack extra pants.

Not mine, but my father's:

My dad was traveling alone and was staying at the Waldorf-Astoria in NYC in an upgraded room at the end of the hallway. Note, end of the hallway. On the level he was staying on, newspapers were delivered daily. So he opens the door, steps out to pick up the newspaper and <CLICK!> He said that was the loudest and longest click he'd ever heard in his life. As you can probably guess, he was wearing nothing a smile. So he takes the newspaper and holds it around his private bits and tiptoes to the phone in the hallway which is of course located in the center of the hallway, right in front of the elevators. He calls the front desk, explains his predicament and they say they'll send up security. He thanks them and tiptoes back to in front of the room...all the way at the end of the hall. He gets to the front of the room door, no problem, and thinks he's in the clear. At that moment the door next to his room opens up and a rather well-dressed couple walk out. My father, still holding the newspaper around what little dignity he has left just politely says, "Good Morning" as they look at him. They awkwardly say, "Good Morning" and head straight to the elevator. Fortunately, security showed up shortly thereafter and let him back in the room. True story.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by Gogie
For those of you who have never had a colonoscopy take my word for it - the prep is far worse than the actual procedure!
This I can confirm! Had one 30 years ago.... Never again!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 6:46 pm

I tend to book several flights at one time when I get job assignments. About four times now I have booked a flight for the wrong month. One time, I arrived at the airport to find no reservation and a full flight. My reservation was for the previous month.
Three times in recent months I have discovered, in advance of my return flights, that the returns were booked in the following months. Exact same dates but wrong months. The Premier people waived on change fee when I was trying to fix two flights at the same time, but I had to eat the CF for the second. Fortunately, there was no fare difference.
These stupid mistakes, high preventable, can get expensive.

Last edited by Kensterfly; Jul 22, 2015 at 7:14 am
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW
Mine:

Packed everything. Thought I had done a great job of it and was quite proud of myself for how little room my clothing and personal effects were occupying in my carry-on. I get to my destination and realize I forgot to pack extra pants.
Reminds me of what mine probably is. I have been very lucky to not go to the wrong airport or book on the wrong day so far but I did make it to Puerto Rico for our 7 day cruise without a single pair of socks in my luggage. Thankfully our luggage got to our room about 45 min before departure so I had time to realize my mistake and run to the nearest store to buy a package of grossly over priced socks
Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
I see this a lot myself

Originally Posted by nyc10036
A couple of years ago, I had scheduled a flight out of Tokyo HND--and, no, luckily, I didn't go to Tokyo NRT by mistake! Since I had to attend an event Thursday evening, a midnight flight would be perfect, I thought.

So, I booked a flight that leaves HND Thursday night...shortly after midnight...like 12:15 am. Hmmm. So, I leave on Thursday at 12:15 am... @:-) Wait, that's Wednesday night!!! Luckily, I caught the error when I received the check-in reminder 3 days before and the JAL people were so nice about it. I guess this is the disadvantage of booking flights on my own online, as such an error could have been prevented with a travel agent booking on my behalf.

I am sure this happens relatively frequently for flights leaving shortly after midnight!
I am an overnight dispatcher for an airport shuttle service. At one of the airports we serve we need to stage vans outside the airport about 20 miles from our home base. I average 9-10 reservations a week whereas the passenger arriving has selected the day before their actual arrival. For example, they are arriving Friday night, but after midnight. They actually select Friday morning at 00:35, which is actually Thursday night, not Friday.

They make their reservations online and don't realize their mistake until I call them about 35-45 minutes after their scheduled arrival to see if they are ready to be picked up. You don't know how many people are angry at me for disturbing them in the middle of the night because they made the mistake.

As the dispatcher, I need to know if I need to keep the vans near that airport or if I can release them to pick up other passengers and cannot call the passenger earlier as they are expected to be on a plane with no phone communication prior to landing.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Hosted a Do a few months ago. (Mini Do) / and the first one I officially hosted. Flew to the Do with a friend. Got so totally trashed on the plane, got to the Do, shook everyone's hands [blank memory] then next memory at gate. Missed flight. (by hours)

The other FTers loved watching me be incredibly dumb. That was the silver lining. But yes, that is the dumbest travel related mistake I have ever made.

(that was the first flight I missed in my life too)
Old Jul 11, 2015, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by chrissxb
I will always remember NOT to put two bottles of red wine in my checked luggage
I totally agree.... never put 2!
I usually put at least 12!😂😂
Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Cris L
I totally agree.... never put 2!
I usually put at least 12!😂😂
Extra large ziploc bags are your friend. Surrounded by dirty laundry.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
Extra large ziploc bags are your friend. Surrounded by dirty laundry.
My bottles of wine have always been wrapped in newspaper, usually 1 sheet but sometimes 2, then stuffed inside a dirty sock!
Never had 1 break, and as I say usually 12 bottles across 2 bags!
Old Jul 12, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
My adventure today. New suitcase arrived a couple of weeks ago and I duly changed the default lock combo from 000 to my own. The code I ALWAYS use.

First chance to use said new suitcase was today and as I was heading into security I thought to myself "need to prevent security dudes from opening my suitcase without me there" and spun the dials to lock the case. Security was totally uneventful and I was through in 45 seconds.

Post-security ... went to put my liquids into my suitcase. It won't open. Tried again. No go. Tried reversing the numbers - instead of 1-2-3, tried 3-2-1 .. nothing. Went back to security to see if they had a TSA key to open the lock. (Sorry, ma'am, we're CATSA, don't have TSA keys). Spent an hour, starting at 0-0-0 going through each possible combination and discovered I had transposed two of my regular numbers - not on just one lock, but on BOTH locks.

The problem IS between the suitcase and the chair.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 5:40 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by lostinthewash
The problem IS between the suitcase and the chair.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:36 am

Arrived at 11am for an 11am flight. For some reason I thought I booked the 3pm. I would have made the 11am as I was at the airport at 9am anyway to pick my husband.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:24 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Took hundreds of Euros to a European country that hadn't moved to the Euro.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.