Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Old Mar 15, 15, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I booked award tix to SJU from ATL and misread the time of the flight. I showed up at the airport 12 hours ahead of time with family in tow, having read 8 PM as 8 AM. Fortunately, DL accomodated us on the next flight and we got there 10 hours earlier than we were supposed to.
Old Mar 15, 15, 9:37 am

2 stories, one of which is mine.

The first, a friend was flying to Sydney, Australia so he was looking for flights on various sites, trying to find the cheapest one. He ended up finding one he thought was an unbelievable deal and he booked it right away. It took a few days, but he eventually realized he booked a flight to Sydney, Nova Scotia. No clue how he didn't catch it. It ended up costing him a few hundred to change it.

My story is I was traveling to Cuba and 48 hours before my trip I realized my passport was expired. I freaked out and started researching how to get a passport within 24 hours (wasn't an easy thing to do in Canada about 8 years ago). It involved me having to take a day off work, drive to Toronto for 8 am (3 hour drive) and then plead my case why I needed one right away, which involved showing my travel plans. Once I got in and spoke to someone, they informed me I mixed up the numbers on my passport and it was still good for a few more years. They found it funny thankfully.
Old Mar 16, 15, 5:56 am

Checked into a hotel in the Philippines, but my room was not available, so they temporarily put me in a family room on the 7th floor, until my room was available. Had to go out several times, and got used to going to the 7 th floor. That evening, they moved me to my 6th floor room. Went downstairs, then unthinkingly went back to the 7th floor, went out of the elevator, and realized what I had done. No problem. Just take the stairs down a flight, so jump on the stairs to go down, door shuts, and then I realize I stepped into some type of emergency exit only stairwell, and locked myself out of the hotel. Well, nothing to do but go down, and find out where it goes. Go out of the stairwell to find myself standing in the gated off electrical plant for the hotel, with no one around. Hmmm, now what? Was embarrassed to think I might have to call the front desk for someone to come try to find me. Started walking, went around the corner, and see another gate with a padlock on it. Thank heavens, its unlocked. Go through the gate, to find myself at the side of the hotel, looking at a very astonished employee, with his mouth now hanging open looking at me. Laughingly, I mentioned to him what happened, and kept walking. Doorman sure was confused when I walked back in the hotel for the second time, over the period of just a couple of minutes. Too embarrassed to even tell the wife just what I had done.
Old Mar 16, 15, 3:06 pm

Not once but twice I have missed trains in Switzerland due to getting confused about the departure time. It had nothing to do with the military time thing because I understand that just fine.

Does not being able to find the keyhole to actually get in your hotel room count?
Old Mar 16, 15, 5:42 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Didn't think about hotel stuff.

Just came back from Rio De Janeiro, not sure if the destination is relevant but being as though it was my first time in Brazil it might be.

Got in the room, tossed my stuff aside, took a couple pics before I trashed the place, it was mid day so I didn't need to turn on the lights but it was a bit hot, so I went for the AC. Control blips and beeps, nothing, but I'm new to AC since in Vancouver and Medellin (my 2 residences) it's not necessary. Nothing lights up so who knows, didn't feel like anything was coming out, but it should be subtle so didn't think much of it. Plugged in my laptop though, nothing. Lights in the bathroom, nothing. TV, nothing. Alarm clock flashing though. So I thought maybe there was a short and the breakers needed to be flipped or whatever.

I call down to the front desk and ask about the power.

She didn't laugh at me but had every right to. She calmly said "sir in the box on the wall next to the door, insert your key and the power will activate". I felt so stupid, I thought maybe it was a security thing with no buttons.

Brilliant way to save electricity though. I thought it was genius, never saw something like that before. Keeps you from running the AC all day and leaving the lights on.
Old Mar 16, 15, 6:18 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
Brilliant way to save electricity though. I thought it was genius, never saw something like that before. Keeps you from running the AC all day and leaving the lights on.
You see this a lot in Europe too. Some of the dumber ones are a dumb switch where any card works, but the newer ones require the actual key.
Old Mar 17, 15, 8:09 pm

Programs: Koru, GHA Gold
Originally Posted by Palal View Post
You see this a lot in Europe too. Some of the dumber ones are a dumb switch where any card works, but the newer ones require the actual key.
So you just ask for a spare key and you can leave it in the switch. However if you do this often the cleaning staff will remove the spare.
Old Mar 18, 15, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trumpkin View Post
So you just ask for a spare key and you can leave it in the switch. However if you do this often the cleaning staff will remove the spare.
Just one of the reasons that I leave my DND sign out for my entire hotel stay.
Old Mar 18, 15, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I once meant to book 4 nights in Rome but accidentally booked 11. Got a call from the front desk when we never showed up and I realized my mistake. Given that it was my first time out of America and they only charged us the one missed night once we explained, I could've done much worse.

I also can't count the number of times I got on the wrong metro train in Taipei. Took me a while to realize they ran multiple lines from the same platform. Dozed off once and found myself on the outskirts of Taipei in the wrong direction...
Old Mar 18, 15, 2:50 pm

Local travel type mistake...

This happened this week. Discovered the State inspection on my
vehicle was expired.

No problem, head to the dealership to get it done. Dealership tells
me my insurance card has expired. Argh.

Go to insurance agent for a new card, then drive back to dealership
to get inspection done.

Dealership informs me the Texas regs have changed and no sticker
this time... it will all be on one sticker.

Ok, now run to registration office to get that done. Took all morning
but I am once again legal with more viewing area out the windshield.

Threw the paperwork in the glove box in case some officer stops me
for not having an inspection sticker given the new regs.

Now I am ready for my next goof up.
Old Mar 18, 15, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
This happened to me in Switzerland (again Switzerland) but for some reason I saw the slot next to the door and thought, just maybe. Sure as .... the room came on. If you choose to only keep one key card you kinda have to time your electronics charging as it didn't dawn on me (the first time) that the outlets would be off too.
Old Mar 18, 15, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingBear View Post
If you choose to only keep one key card you kinda have to time your electronics charging as it didn't dawn on me (the first time) that the outlets would be off too.
Fridge/minibar outlet is usually on all the time.
Old Mar 18, 15, 6:15 pm

I left the house at 5 am for a 7 am flight from an airport that in good conditions is an hour away. I was so busy over the night preparing my presentation for the meeting I was going to attend at 2 pm that day, that I did not pay attention to the surprisingly heavy snowfall outside.

In the crawling traffic I arrived at the airport 5 minutes after they closed the gate.

They were going to re-book me for a flight at 7 pm that night, I told them to forget about it and looked for alternatives. I ended up using the Skyscanner app to book the earliest alternative option, an 11 am flight leaving from another airport in the area. But I quickly realised that it'd be very tight to make it to the meeting even with that flight so I had to re-schedule for the next day. The snow provided some but not great cover as it was more of a local event and not exactly the 93 super storm either, so it was a bit embarrassing. And of course I was out of the money for the alternative flight, too.

A somewhat funny mistake in hindsight happened when I was a kid. My family was going on a big holiday to Spain, it was all a bit hectic but we ended up getting to the airport with plenty of time to spare - 27 hours in fact. My dad had gotten the date wrong.
Old Mar 18, 15, 10:25 pm

Arrived at Orly at 5pm to catch a 5am flight to Rome lmao! Did not pay attention while booking that 05:00 meant 5am!!! fortunately was able to rebook on next days flight at a cost but had to sleep in the airport

Another time in Seoul I almost missed my connecting flight. I had gone into town during a long layover but when coming back I caught the train to "Incheon" not realizing that the train to Incheon does not go to Incheon airport!!! I had to get off midway and take a cab through rush hour traffic... nightmare! Plus I did not have any won for the cab driver and gave him my credit card which he was thrilled about! Barely made the flight with 10 mins to spare...phew!

Last edited by k374; Mar 18, 15 at 10:31 pm
Old Jun 28, 15, 4:31 pm

It's been a rough travel month for me. Three strikes and I'm officially out.

Strike one: Arrived at a hotel in Florida for a family vacation. Made two separate reservations for one night after another (or so I thought). When checking in come to find out I accidentally booked both reservations for the same night. The hotel was firm that since the cancellation window had passed I'd have to pay for both and then rack rate for the next night. Loss= $150

Strike 2: Rented from Advantage at SLC. Typically I avoid the low cost companies but it was for a last minute funeral and they were the cheapest by far. At pick up I ask if they can extend it for an extra 2 hours. He says sure, I ask for it in writing. He says he sent me an email, I check and he did. After returning the car I get my bill, for the extra 2 hours they charged me an rate 2x the daily rate. I email the manager, never hear back. I know better than to waste my time pursuing it. Loss =$55

Strike 3: A week later another planned trip to SLC. Go to check in online for our return flight that leaves early the next morning, and I can't find wife's confirmation number. Turns out I never booked her a flight back. I looked at every other option, train, other airlines, one way rental car. End up having to buy Anytime fare on WN for more than I would have spent for a round trip flight to Europe. At least I got the cost down by $60 by using hidden city. Loss= $420

Usually I'm incredibly detailed and double check all of our plans. Sometimes crap happens. I need a break.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: