Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Old Jul 19, 14, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by tropicaliceberg View Post
I guess this is nothing major, but I once cleared passport control, walked out of customs, got in a taxis, and arrived home.... As I was turning the key to the door, I thought "oh what the.... where are the three checked suitcases that I had?

I completely forgot about them as I walked past the baggage carousel in the customs area. I went back and the airline agent was able to help me retrieve them. We walked into the customs area and clear the bags with an on-duty customs officer.(it was already 2AM, so no more incoming flights)
That's funny and really dumb! Bet you've gotten lots of mileage with that story over the years!
Old Jul 19, 14, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
That's funny and really dumb! Bet you've gotten lots of mileage with that story over the years!
I don't think I've ever told the story to anyone.... too embarrassed to say anything. The internet is like a confessional. It feel good telling things that you did wrong. (at least until your friends/family discover it)

My only excuse was that I had just come off an 17.5-hour flight(plus 3 hour connecting flight before that).
Old Jul 19, 14, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA MM/Plat, AS MVP
Traveling while hungover and having diarrhea to ICN.

And then on the next trip to ICN, getting diarrhea right before having to head home.
Old Jul 19, 14, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pspark View Post
Traveling while hungover
Oh man I have been there. Went out the night before an early flight and got very drunk. So drunk that when I woke up for the early flight from PHX-ORD I was still drunk. Got dizzy trying to tie my shoes and had to sit down and concentrate hard to accomplish the task drunk. I managed to fall asleep on the flight to ORD and as soon as I woke up it was "I'm never drinking again" hangover time. Awful, awful day
Old Jul 19, 14, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Oh man I have been there. Went out the night before an early flight and got very drunk. So drunk that when I woke up for the early flight from PHX-ORD I was still drunk. Got dizzy trying to tie my shoes and had to sit down and concentrate hard to accomplish the task drunk. I managed to fall asleep on the flight to ORD and as soon as I woke up it was "I'm never drinking again" hangover time. Awful, awful day
It can't be as bad as the time when I saw the pilot who looked like he was partying with the FAs the night before and had a bad case of hangover. Normally I wouldn't care, but he was about to pilot the 747-200 across the Pacific with me on it. I was sitting in the small upper deck and saw him downing coffee like he was a redneck trucker getting ready for a 12-hour shift. I was too young(14) to know any better, but definitely old enough to tell that some had a hangover. Should have called the airport police and reported him. The airline's name started with a C.
Old Jul 19, 14, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by pspark View Post
Traveling while hungover
Second biggest travel mistake after renting a Prius for me

Last year I had to fly LHR-ORD after a night of heavy drinking, if that wasn't bad enough, I got 3 hours of sleep and woke up with a terrible head cold. Never again, the combination of those made it possibly the worst 8 hours of my life.

From now on, just a couple of beers the night before a flight
Old Jul 20, 14, 5:51 am

Programs: QF
Overpacking. Literally the worst thing you can do on vacation is bringing a lot of crap you don't actually need.
Old Jul 20, 14, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Yep only did it once - before a TATL!! (Spot the brain cell!). I ended up using the barf bag on an airplane for the only time in my life. Never again I said to myself and 11 years later I have kept to my word.
Old Jul 20, 14, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR View Post
Yep only did it once - before a TATL!! (Spot the brain cell!). I ended up using the barf bag on an airplane for the only time in my life. Never again I said to myself and 11 years later I have kept to my word.
I wish I could say the above story was my last time doing it. Last year I flew up to New York for a friend's birthday party. I drank way too much though thankfully the hangover the next day wasn't as bad. I also knew what to do this time, as soon as I got to IAD on the way home I went to Concourse A and got a burger and fries from Five Guys. That killed a lot of it off ^
Old Jul 20, 14, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
I wish I could say the above story was my last time doing it. Last year I flew up to New York for a friend's birthday party. I drank way too much though thankfully the hangover the next day wasn't as bad. I also knew what to do this time, as soon as I got to IAD on the way home I went to Concourse A and got a burger and fries from Five Guys. That killed a lot of it off ^
Yes it is counter-intuitive but greasy/stodgy food absorbs the alcohol and gets the blood sugar up.
Old Jul 20, 14, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the mid 90's, I had a big breakfast, including a liter or so of really good orange juice, before a Grand Canyon air tour. I don't get airsick at all, but this particular flight was quite rough, and seemed to follow a rollercoaster-like pattern.

I thought it was great for the first 10 minutes. Then the next 5 minutes, I started thinking I shouldn't have drunk so much OJ. I hoped the rollercoaster would stop.right.now. No such luck. And finally, I filled the puke bag up to the top. I was pretty embarrassed.
Old Jul 21, 14, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by thelark View Post
Am I the only one here who never changes his watch when traveling?
I don't even bother changing mine to account for daylight savings time. The fact that it's also picked up five minutes (ten year battery) in the time I've owned it means anyone trying to sneak a look at the time from my watch is liable to get somewhat confused.
Old Jul 21, 14, 7:47 am

Boarded the wrong plane because it uses the same gate as my flight, did not realize until the pilot announce where the plane is headed after everyone is seated
Old Jul 21, 14, 7:54 am

Being hungover was the start of multiple dumb mistakes for me. I was in the middle of a 2 month round -the- world trip alone and had a BKK - Istanbul flight. The night before I went out with friends on Phuket. The next day I flew back to Bangkok, very hungover, and then got on my 9 hour flight to Istanbul. I fell asleep before the doors closed and woke up just before we landed! It was about 3am, I was completely groggy and alone in Turkey for the first time. I got a few hundred dollars out of the ATM and I as I was walking away heard a beeping sound and watched in horror as my card was sucked back into the ATM. Worse, due to an earlier problem with my other card and fraud, this was all I had.

Luckily I had left my mother access to my accounts and skyped with her to wire enough money for a month. No problem. I went to the Turkish bank the next day and filled out the forms and they checked my passport. They kept insisting it didn't match. I looked at the form and had filled out " mother's maiden name," which if course does not appear on American passports. They told me to come back the next day and deal with a more senior bank official. The next day when I returned I tried to explain the situation. He insisted on actually calling my mother. Poor thing- it was the middle of the night in the US and my parents receive a call from a Turkish " official" asking if they know someone with my name.
At this point it all worked out but I do think it gave her a few gray hairs!

Last edited by cakegirl; Jul 21, 14 at 8:56 pm
Old Jul 21, 14, 4:28 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Programs: ACA
Grease works well. Another trick I got from frosh week in University. Start drinking again. It removes all bad feelings (headache, grogginess, upset stomach) but I warn you you'll pay double afterwards. To be used only in an emergency.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: