Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Old Jul 18, 14, 11:25 am

Am I the only one here who never changes his watch when traveling?
Old Jul 18, 14, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by 1holegrouper View Post
Two was when I made the naive mistake of taking an unmarked black SUV "cab" (that was just ahead of the regular cab line outside the Amtrak station) for what would have been a $13 cab ride to BOS and instead was held captive for $60. I've never felt so stupid as well as been so disappointed at the pure lack of ethics of some people.
you took a private suv, didn't ask the rate first and are disappointed at the "lack of ethics" why did you chose that one in the first place - were you trying to skip the regular cab line?
Old Jul 18, 14, 11:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by thelark View Post
I don't change mine, but it would be impossible to do so anyway since it has been sitting in my nightstand drawer since 2009.
Old Jul 18, 14, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My Father didn't used to. One time we were in Milwaukee and he burst into my room and said "get up! we're late! We have to go!" and I said "did you change your watch to Central Time?". He was embarrassed
Old Jul 18, 14, 4:09 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Dumbest mistake clearly was not being sure I had open visa pages in my passport on a trip to Indonesia in '09. I had to bribe ($150) a customs official (while faking tears) by offering to pay a fee to use one of my open amendment pages for him to place the visa. Thankfully, it worked. But dumb on my part!
Old Jul 18, 14, 4:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Dumbest mistake I made was trying to fly home from ORD to SFO while still struggling with the lingering effects of food poisoning from night before (my wife still jokes that it was retribution from the pizza gods for cheating on my favorite Lou Malnati's with Gino's East).

Flight time is around 4 hours so I figured that I could gut it out, but man was it miserable. Luckily our flight was upgraded to a 2-cabin 777 so there were multiple bathrooms in F. Lesson learned - should have changed my flight to a later date in order to recover.
Old Jul 18, 14, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
Dumbest mistake clearly was not being sure I had open visa pages in my passport on a trip to Indonesia in '09. I had to bribe ($150) a customs official (while faking tears) by offering to pay a fee to use one of my open amendment pages for him to place the visa. Thankfully, it worked. But dumb on my part!
The normal "fee" is about $5.
Old Jul 18, 14, 11:32 pm

Rented a Prius.
Old Jul 19, 14, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by t325 View Post
Rented a Prius.
What's wrong with that?
Old Jul 19, 14, 1:09 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Silver, Natl EE, Avis PC, Greyhound RR
Originally Posted by t325 View Post
Rented a Prius.
Originally Posted by shenxing View Post
What's wrong with that?
The Prius isn't so bad. I loved averaging 42 mpg when I had one, and that I could fit skis in it with the seats down very easily. It can certainly hold a lot of stuff.

What's wrong with it? It's not comfortable, the speakers suck, and when going into the mountains even buses pass you going uphill.

-J.
Old Jul 19, 14, 8:20 am

I guess this is nothing major, but I once cleared passport control, walked out of customs, got in a taxis, and arrived home.... As I was turning the key to the door, I thought "oh what the.... where are the three checked suitcases that I had?

I completely forgot about them as I walked past the baggage carousel in the customs area. I went back and the airline agent was able to help me retrieve them. We walked into the customs area and clear the bags with an on-duty customs officer.(it was already 2AM, so no more incoming flights)
Old Jul 19, 14, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
nope ... not even for nine days in Hawaii when coming from and returning to DC
Old Jul 19, 14, 4:55 pm
In Memoriam

Passport dropped out of my coat pocket in NRT. They BUTCHERED my name so it must have taken 25 announcements for me to actually understand they were paging ME!
Old Jul 19, 14, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
I am still highly embarrassed 12 years later - but turning up (I used UA FF miles) at Yellowstone National Park in February 2002 and being told "Sorry sir, the Park is closed for the winter"
Old Jul 19, 14, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by sfoactuary View Post
Dumbest mistake I made was trying to fly home from ORD to SFO while still struggling with the lingering effects of food poisoning from night before (my wife still jokes that it was retribution from the pizza gods for cheating on my favorite Lou Malnati's with Gino's East).
Yes, it was definitely the pizza gods. Mmmmm. Lou Malnati's!

Search this Thread