Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Old Jul 15, 14, 6:15 pm
  #886  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Miami, near the US
Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Select, MHC, Amex Plat
Posts: 102
I went to Detroit
Georgemia is offline  
Old Jul 15, 14, 6:16 pm
  #887  
Formerly known as tireman77
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Programs: ACA
Posts: 4,483
Originally Posted by Georgemia View Post
I went to Detroit
Wow. I did a spit-take reading that.

Awesome!! Thanks for making my day.
PLeblond is offline  
Old Jul 15, 14, 8:40 pm
  #888  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/CLT)
Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 29,835
Originally Posted by 1holegrouper View Post
One was accidentally going into the ladies bathroom in Montreal. It was empty when I entered but two ladies were coming in as I was leaving laughing their heads off.
I was in a mens room in CLT earlier this year and noticed a woman by the sinks. I went outside to check that I was correct, then came back in and said "excuse me but you're in the wrong room". She was mortified
CMK10 is offline  
Old Jul 16, 14, 2:06 pm
  #889  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Boston MA
Programs: US SP, JetBlue Mosaic, AMEX Plat
Posts: 101
First trip with my partner after meeting him two months before. We were flying BOS-SFO. Used the last of my miles to upgrade us because it was my first trip with him and wanted it to be cool.

We get on the plane and it pushes back. Taxiing out, I take off my watch and turn it back three hours. He looked at me with this horrified look. "Don't ever do that until wheels up!" (his father was a United pilot for 30+ years).

We're now second in line for take off. Captain comes over intercom. Issue with plane. Turns around, we go back to gate, we all get off the aircraft, and ten minutes later they announce the flight is cancelled.

We're standing in the gate area and looks at me he says: "See what you did!"

I was mortified. He was cracking up laughing.

Lesson learned.
MPScan is offline  
Old Jul 16, 14, 2:20 pm
  #890  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 5,193
Originally Posted by MPScan View Post
First trip with my partner after meeting him two months before. We were flying BOS-SFO. Used the last of my miles to upgrade us because it was my first trip with him and wanted it to be cool.

We get on the plane and it pushes back. Taxiing out, I take off my watch and turn it back three hours. He looked at me with this horrified look. "Don't ever do that until wheels up!" (his father was a United pilot for 30+ years).

We're now second in line for take off. Captain comes over intercom. Issue with plane. Turns around, we go back to gate, we all get off the aircraft, and ten minutes later they announce the flight is cancelled.

We're standing in the gate area and looks at me he says: "See what you did!"

I was mortified. He was cracking up laughing.

Lesson learned.
That's hilarious. One of my routines is to change my watch to destination time as soon as I am seated. Never had to turn back but now I know better and will wait 'till wheels up from now on
Finkface is online now  
Old Jul 16, 14, 3:01 pm
  #891  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/CLT)
Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 29,835
Ha! I too don't reset my watch until after takeoff
CMK10 is offline  
Old Jul 16, 14, 3:04 pm
  #892  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DFW
Programs: AA 1M
Posts: 27,644
Originally Posted by MPScan View Post
First trip with my partner after meeting him two months before. We were flying BOS-SFO. Used the last of my miles to upgrade us because it was my first trip with him and wanted it to be cool.

We get on the plane and it pushes back. Taxiing out, I take off my watch and turn it back three hours. He looked at me with this horrified look. "Don't ever do that until wheels up!" (his father was a United pilot for 30+ years).

We're now second in line for take off. Captain comes over intercom. Issue with plane. Turns around, we go back to gate, we all get off the aircraft, and ten minutes later they announce the flight is cancelled.

We're standing in the gate area and looks at me he says: "See what you did!"

I was mortified. He was cracking up laughing.

Lesson learned.
That is funny. I usually change it when I reach the destination.
UA Fan is offline  
Old Jul 16, 14, 6:59 pm
  #893  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: PMD
Programs: UA*G, NW, AA. WR, HH, IHG, Accor. TT-GE.
Posts: 2,129
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
That's hilarious. One of my routines is to change my watch to destination time as soon as I am seated. Never had to turn back but now I know better and will wait 'till wheels up from now on
I've learned my lesson. Last fall when my 2-h NRT layover became 5 h I paid $10 for a 950 JPY dinner, only to have the onward flight canceled and taken to hotel the night before a typhoon, and the next day's troubled bus ride back to NRT forced me to take 10k JPY from the ATM only to spend 216 JPY at a 7-Eleven en route followed by no need to spend my leftover 9784 JPY for the rest of my time in Japan...

So two weeks later during my return flight HKG-SFO, I hesitated taking the HKD out of my wallet and replacing with USD. After all I had 9784 JPY in my carryon and some populated islands outside my left window. Finally when the plane reached the halfway point between Sapporo and Adak, I swapped the coins and notes.
HkCaGu is offline  
Old Jul 17, 14, 2:11 am
  #894  
Formerly known as tireman77
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Programs: ACA
Posts: 4,483
After wheels up. Always. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with that superstition.
PLeblond is offline  
Old Jul 17, 14, 8:59 am
  #895  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: RST
Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Posts: 4,782
Flying something like YXU-YYZ-SFO. Can't remember exact numbers but first flight was something like AC1656 leaving at 14:50. I showed up at the airport in time for a flight leaving at 16:56.
fromYXU is offline  
Old Jul 17, 14, 10:28 am
  #896  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 152
A few years back, I was in Zurich for work and my wife came along. We were in the lobby of the Intercontinental and she went to use the restroom. A couple of minutes later, I go in and as I walk through, one of the stall doors opens and my wife comes out. She's shocked and asking why I'm in the women's room until I pointed out the urinals lining the walls. She got out pretty quick, luckily no one else was there. Apparently the fancy modern stick diagrams they use are a little androgynous (in her defense they are pretty similar and it was a dark corridor).

Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
I was in a mens room in CLT earlier this year and noticed a woman by the sinks. I went outside to check that I was correct, then came back in and said "excuse me but you're in the wrong room". She was mortified
jeff191 is offline  
Old Jul 18, 14, 5:03 am
  #897  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,513
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
That's hilarious. One of my routines is to change my watch to destination time as soon as I am seated. Never had to turn back but now I know better and will wait 'till wheels up from now on
Usually OK .. unless the plane decides to turn around 45 minutes in the flight and head back to the origin. Had that happen twice
flashware is online now  
Old Jul 18, 14, 7:35 am
  #898  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Posts: 1,122
Originally Posted by Georgemia View Post
I went to Detroit
I'm from DTW and I went to MIA!
rubesl is offline  
Old Jul 18, 14, 10:04 am
  #899  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 22,124
Originally Posted by flashware View Post
Usually OK .. unless the plane decides to turn around 45 minutes in the flight and head back to the origin. Had that happen twice
About six weeks ago I was on an LAX-MSP flight that stopped in LAS (Las Vegas, for those who don't memorize airport codes) for a medical emergency (fortunately not mine, and even more fortunately with a good outcome). I don't recall if I had changed my watch to CDT or not. Wouldn't have mattered much, since all we did was sit on the plane, but I'd hate to think I caused the problem.
Efrem is offline  
Old Jul 18, 14, 10:57 am
  #900  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NAP
Programs: LH, BA, TK
Posts: 2,383
Originally Posted by Georgemia View Post
I went to Detroit
After the incessant Detroit bashing I'm increasingly getting curious to visit .
Forrest Bump is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread