Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Old Feb 21, 14, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by RBirns View Post
A few years ago, looking to fly from NY to south FL for a long weekend in February, dead of winter. Big prices, naturally. Got online to search one day, and found a very low fare to FLL, so I booked it. Turns out I booked the reverse trip. No wonder it was so cheap. Who wants to go from FL to NY in February?
That made me chuckle
Old Feb 21, 14, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by tranthutrang View Post
In 2010, I arrived at at Kuala Lumpur International Airport. After having my immigration clearance done, I finally found the elevator to the basement to take the train to city's center. I walked in the elevator with many other passengers, didn't notice that it's two sided opening. I was standing there, turning my back to one of the two button boards and thought that I should reach another board which was behind five or six burly persons. Nobody pressed the button I would like to press. I asked a man near the board to press it for me. He looked at me as if I had twenty eyes and ten noses, but helped me though. Then, when the elevator stopped for the first time (not my desired level), half of the passengers got out. And I realized I was blocking their exit. It's the first time I travel abroad.
"Blocking the Exit", ohhh I have same experience at the airport. Dual door elevator always confuses me.
Old Feb 22, 14, 8:53 pm
jyh

A long time ago I was on SIA from SFO to HK. I don't sleep well on planes and after the long flight with lots of drinks I arrived in HK. When I reached the taxi stand I realized I had cleared customs without my luggage. Tried to enter the terminal through the exit but no luck. After pleading with several representatives I was finally reunited with my luggage.
Old Feb 23, 14, 11:07 am

I had a Eurolines bus to catch near Nice Airport, which was leaving at around midnight. There was a bus from the city centre to get to the airport, a "fast" bus and a local bus. The last "fast" bus left at around 9, whereas the local bus would leave at around 11pm which I thought was perfect. Turns out that local bus, the exact same route I took arriving into Nice didn't stop near the airport past a certain time on Sunday nights (nothing on the bus sign indicated this, and yes, I can read French.) I was informed of that by an extremely rude bus driver. I ended up having to take a taxi and paid 60 euros for that short, 5km ride, which was more expensive than the bus ticket from Nice to Barcelona.

On the same trip (just 3 nights) later, I was having a very good night out in the city. I had a high speed train to catch to Valencia at about 7am, so I figured I would take a quick nap when I got back. Unfortunately I didn't realize I set my alarm to PM, not AM and slept until 11AM. Another expensive mistake, considering I forfeited a 40 EUR train ticket (saver rate) and had to buy a new one.

My worst mistake I've ever made was when I was at the Brussels-South train station after having gotten off the Eurostar. I decided to hit up the cash machine for 100 EUR. In my daze, I accidentally keyed in an extra zero and got 1,000 EUR. Someone must have noticed and followed me into the metro. I noticed 2 guys trying to block my way on the escalator, whom I pushed away. On the train, these same people came up to me and literally just started pushing and throwing me to the ground. Obviously, my wallet was gone with all my cash and cards. Everyone who stood around just shrugged and said "it happens." Same with the useless Brussels police force.

Thinking about the incident today still makes me angry.

Last edited by tng11; Feb 23, 14 at 11:13 am
Old Feb 24, 14, 9:07 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by msiamsia View Post
Dual door elevator always confuses me.
Not done by me, but more than once on the London Underground, at older stations which do not have escalators (Covent Garden is a favourite for this), the big old lifts have dual doors, it comes up, far doors open and everyone coming out starts to the exit, a few seconds later the near doors open and those waiting now enter to go down. Have seen tourists walk right through, somehow not realising even that it is a lift, and having just come in through the ticket barriers they carry on, swipe their tickets at the exit again, following what everyone else does, and are then bemused to be back in the street where they started.
Old Feb 24, 14, 9:50 am

Programs: NPR
Originally Posted by msiamsia View Post
Dual door elevator always confuses me.
I'm just back from FLL, where the rental-car shuttle has doors on both sides. The traffic flow between the terminals and the rental-car center (a garage) requires passengers to enter and exit on the left at the rental-car center.
Old Feb 24, 14, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Everyone who stood around just shrugged and said "it happens." Same with the useless Brussels police force.
That is so terrible and third-world like.
Old Feb 24, 14, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Not done by me, but more than once on the London Underground, at older stations which do not have escalators (Covent Garden is a favourite for this), the big old lifts have dual doors, it comes up, far doors open and everyone coming out starts to the exit, a few seconds later the near doors open and those waiting now enter to go down. Have seen tourists walk right through, somehow not realising even that it is a lift, and having just come in through the ticket barriers they carry on, swipe their tickets at the exit again, following what everyone else does, and are then bemused to be back in the street where they started.
You gave me a big chuckle. I can soooo picture the look on those unfortunate or not people. I may end of doing exactly the same someday, who knows. Thanks for the heads up, Covent Garden here I come.
Old Feb 26, 14, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
My flight to from MSP-ORD was delayed until 6:30. I was at a bar right near the gate, got up at 615 to go board and I see that it says MSP-ORD departing at 7:15. I just figured the flight was further delayed. I went back to have another drink. I go to the gate at 6:40, notice the flight number seems off so I go to talk to the GA. Turns out I missed my flight; they had changed the screen before closing the doors. Ended up missing the connection because of that and had to stay in ORD overnight (thank you to the kind TA who gave me a free hotel room anyway).
Old Mar 15, 14, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Had a stupid one in Budapest this week. I was going to be there just over 48 hours so my plan was to buy two 24 hour travel passes to cover all my public transit needs. In Budapest, they have agents at the entrance to the Metro stations who check your passes as you come in. I'd shown one my pass on my way to dinner and then put it back in my pocket. When I went to get back on the Metro after dinner it wasn't there anymore. Guess it didn't quite make it into my pocket.

I ended up having to buy three one way tickets for my last day's worth of travel which cost me about $5.60. Not too much, but an easily preventable mistake that made me really annoyed with myself.
Old Mar 15, 14, 7:34 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Flying into EWR
Old Mar 16, 14, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP LT Plat >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by jyh View Post
A long time ago I was on SIA from SFO to HK. I don't sleep well on planes and after the long flight with lots of drinks I arrived in HK. When I reached the taxi stand I realized I had cleared customs without my luggage. Tried to enter the terminal through the exit but no luck. After pleading with several representatives I was finally reunited with my luggage.
We arrived in HK picked up our luggage and went to get on the airport express. I asked my husband to put something into the front of the suitcase and when he unzipped the pocket realized it wasn't his. He has traveler for years with the same suitcase which had plenty of tags that we clearly didnt look at. Turned right around to return it. The rightful owner at first pretty displeased realized soon enough it was an honest mistake. Was reunited with ours as well which had been left at the carousel.
Old Mar 16, 14, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL, UA, lotsa hotels
I traveled to a small town in Germany with a co-worker about 3 years ago. He managed to leave his phone in the cab on the way to the train station. A few hours later at FRA, he checked email and found a message from the company we had visited, stating that the cabbie had returned his phone—where else would that happen? He provided an address to send the phone to, and to his amazement and mine the phone arrived before he did! I'm sure his FRA --> ORD --> SFO --> PDX routing had a lot to do with it.
Old Mar 17, 14, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by DrJohn999 View Post
I traveled to a small town in Germany with a co-worker about 3 years ago. He managed to leave his phone in the cab on the way to the train station. A few hours later at FRA, he checked email and found a message from the company we had visited, stating that the cabbie had returned his phone—where else would that happen? ...
London, for sure. A while back I was in the U.S. embassy to get more pages in my passport. The fellow ahead of me in line was going to report a lost passport. He didn't have to: he had left it in a cab. It reached the embassy before he did (the cabbie probably knew the fastest route) and was waiting for him.
Old Mar 18, 14, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Dumbest travel mistake I ever made was booking a Virgin flight for my honeymoon. Got to check in and the agent was one of the most pernickety and miserable I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. Required us to weigh our cabin bags and transfer stuff from them to checked luggage, told us we could not bring our liquids (purchased same day at another airport and in a sealed bag) through security, and was otherwise very negative. Worse to come on board where every time there was a PA announcement, which was all too frequent, they jacked up the volume through the headphones to over 9000, meaning we effectively couldn't use the IFE. It's one of three airlines I declared I would never fly again, and I have kept my promise in each case. [The other two went bust, so Virgin is the only one I'm still avoiding.]

Search this Thread