Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Old Feb 18, 14, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by nyc2socal View Post
I'm the same way, but have successfully avoided the temptation to "sleep an hour", instead, I pack and get ready for an hour..
+1 here. I am also a night owl and don't sleep for anything less than 3 hours, because I know I won't wake up.
Old Feb 18, 14, 3:41 pm

Programs: Mostly a free agent nowadays: UA,AA, LH, DL; Starriott (er, Bonvoy); Hilton; Amex Plat
This wasn't me (I swear!), but yesterday I was boarding a United flight from LAS-ORD. The lady standing in front of me in the Group 1 line seemed like everyone else--did not appear to be an inexperienced flyer, moved confidently when the group was called, etc. When her boarding pass was scanned, it was rejected.

In fact, she was not in line for the correct flight...nor at the correct airline...nor was the plane she was attempting to board flying to the same city as her ticketed reservation. She was supposed to be boarding a Delta flight (completely different terminal at LAS) to JFK, not a United flight to ORD!

She seemed shocked, confused, and supremely embarrassed. I felt bad for her, but good grief--how do you make *that* mistake?? She had been standing at the gate area for at least 15 minutes before boarding began.
Old Feb 18, 14, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by zcat18 View Post
She seemed shocked, confused, and supremely embarrassed. I felt bad for her, but good grief--how do you make *that* mistake?? She had been standing at the gate area for at least 15 minutes before boarding began.
I've done a variation of that in ABQ. Lined up for the flight to DFW. Scanned and told wrong flight. Look at the overheads which have the right number. "Oh, they're just one flight ahead today." Didn't feel quite so silly at that point.

Biggest mistake, however, was joining QFF.
Old Feb 18, 14, 8:09 pm

Sleeping is for beds, sofas and airline seats, not...

Years ago, flew LAX-JFK, then drove to ALB, then flew Piedmont ALB-BWI-CLT-MSY. I was a bit tired, shall we say, by the end of that excursion. Had to use the lav before landing at MSY, fell asleep, and the FA didn't check the lav before landing.

Also, much less embarrassing but rather telling, had a morning flight out of FLL. Left lodging early, so decided to stop at the Hard Rock and drop a few bucks in the machines there. Hit a good payout, hit the button to get the receipt to cash out, and... the machine was out of paper. At 4 a.m. on a weekday the place was bereft of slot attendants, and I wasn't going to leave the machine. Took 2 1/2 hours to get the money. Missed my flight, though B6 accommodated me on the next flight with no charge.
Old Feb 18, 14, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In fact, she was not in line for the correct flight...nor at the correct airline...nor was the plane she was attempting to board flying to the same city as her ticketed reservation. She was supposed to be boarding a Delta flight (completely different terminal at LAS) to JFK, not a United flight to ORD!

Reading the wrong line on the flight board, perhaps?
Old Feb 18, 14, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost View Post
Biggest mistake, however, was joining QFF.
What do you dislike the most about it?
Old Feb 18, 14, 11:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
What do you dislike the most about it?
I was going to say the earn/burn rates, but thinking about it, it's actually the utter contempt QF seem to have for their customers and QFF members.
Old Feb 19, 14, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost View Post
I was going to say the earn/burn rates, but thinking about it, it's actually the utter contempt QF seem to have for their customers and QFF members.
+1
Old Feb 20, 14, 1:01 pm

This wasn't me (I swear!), but yesterday I was boarding a United flight from LAS-ORD. The lady standing in front of me in the Group 1 line seemed like everyone else--did not appear to be an inexperienced flyer, moved confidently when the group was called, etc. When her boarding pass was scanned, it was rejected.

Fly enough and it can happen. I did so many flight in the last 4 months of 2013 the jetlag, exhaustion, and so many different cities took a toll on the brain. One morning at breakfast, I had to ask the attendant in the Sheraton Club what city I was in. She was unfazed by the question which she has been asked many times.
Old Feb 20, 14, 1:27 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold, UA 1K

While I've never messed up the airline, even on code-shares, I have tried to board the wrong flight more than a few times. I used to commute from DEN to ORD, and using AA that means connecting in DFW. After 10 or 12 flights in just two months, and a penchant for long layovers, I began to forget which direction I was going once I got to DFW...you can imagine the hilarity that ensued.

Last edited by zpaul; Feb 20, 14 at 1:42 pm
Old Feb 20, 14, 1:48 pm

Programs: Mostly a free agent nowadays: UA,AA, LH, DL; Starriott (er, Bonvoy); Hilton; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zpaul View Post
While I've never messed up the airline, even on code-shares, I have tried to board the wrong flight more than a few times. I used to commute from DEN to ORD, and using AA that means connecting in DFW. After 10 or 12 flights in just two months, and a penchant for long layovers, I began to forget which direction I was going once I got to DFW...you can imagine the hilarity that ensued.
Originally Posted by WChou
Fly enough and it can happen. I did so many flight in the last 4 months of 2013 the jetlag, exhaustion, and so many different cities took a toll on the brain. One morning at breakfast, I had to ask the attendant in the Sheraton Club what city I was in. She was unfazed by the question which she has been asked many times.
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Reading the wrong line on the flight board, perhaps?
These are all likely scenarios. The one thing that really puzzles me is how she could get the airline wrong. There is heavy United branding just about everywhere--not one Delta logo to be seen--and she had been in the boarding area for at least 15 minutes prior to boarding. Delta is at the other end of the airport, accessible only by tram from the United gates. A combo of fatigue and misreading the wrong line on the flight board is the likely culprit. Regardless, we all make mistakes!
Old Feb 20, 14, 4:25 pm

These are all likely scenarios. The one thing that really puzzles me is how she could get the airline wrong. There is heavy United branding just about everywhere--not one Delta logo to be seen--and she had been in the boarding area for at least 15 minutes prior to boarding. Delta is at the other end of the airport, accessible only by tram from the United gates. A combo of fatigue and misreading the wrong line on the flight board is the likely culprit. Regardless, we all make mistakes!
I just hope she made it to her Delta flight. If she were in the gate area for anticipated boarding, it should be about the same time she be boaring her correct filght at Delta terminal, right? (using a tram to access?! I really hope she made it though).
Old Feb 20, 14, 5:03 pm

Here are the two i can remember:

1. Just about to land in Alicante for a weekend trip (student days!). Look for my wallet. Not in my bag, not in my jacket, not in my trouser pocket. Wallet had slipped out of my pocket whilst i was sitting at the departure gate. Very luckily it had been handed in to the airport staff. Incredibly it still had my 100 euros in it and 50. This on top of a very kindly woman who saw my distress and gifted me 20 euros so I could get the bus to my girlfriends house and get myself something to eat/drink.

2. At the gate, hand over my boarding pass and then head on down the air bridge. 2 minutes later shamefacedly make my way back to the gate. Guess who had forgotten their boarding pass and been denied entry to the plane?
Old Feb 21, 14, 12:08 am

Programs: Mekong Club
In 2010, I arrived at at Kuala Lumpur International Airport. After having my immigration clearance done, I finally found the elevator to the basement to take the train to city's center. I walked in the elevator with many other passengers, didn't notice that it's two sided opening. I was standing there, turning my back to one of the two button boards and thought that I should reach another board which was behind five or six burly persons. Nobody pressed the button I would like to press. I asked a man near the board to press it for me. He looked at me as if I had twenty eyes and ten noses, but helped me though. Then, when the elevator stopped for the first time (not my desired level), half of the passengers got out. And I realized I was blocking their exit. It's the first time I travel abroad.
Old Feb 21, 14, 8:36 am

A few years ago, looking to fly from NY to south FL for a long weekend in February, dead of winter. Big prices, naturally. Got online to search one day, and found a very low fare to FLL, so I booked it. Turns out I booked the reverse trip. No wonder it was so cheap. Who wants to go from FL to NY in February?

Search this Thread