Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Old Feb 14, 14, 10:50 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nyc2socal View Post
Example 1
a SNA-LAX-IAD "

Is that a real routing or a typo? What did they fly such a short connection on?
Old Feb 14, 14, 5:03 pm

In 2009, on one of my many many Florida trips with my family, I decided to book us a KEF-BOS-TPA routing with Icelandair/jetBlue with one night in the Hilton at Logan.

We arrived around 8pm in the evening from KEF and went straight to sleep as our flight the next day was scheduled to leave at 5:50. Well, we woke up at 3:30 and were at the jetBlue check-in machines around 4am. We didn't understand what was going on when we entered our booking numbers and the machine said "You can only check-in 5 hours before depature".

Completely confused, we walked over to the manned check-in counter and asked why in the world the machine gave us that message. The agent checked our ticket and suddenly laughed out loud. He then took up a pen and underlined the departure time: 5.50 pm.

In my defense, we use the 24-hr system in Iceland!

It also worked out quite well as I had no plans in Florida that day so we just went into downtown Boston and had a long lunch at the Cheesecake Factory.

As if this is not stupid enough, last spring I did the same thing AGAIN. Booked a US flight DCA-TPA at 7.30, only to notice the pm behind it after getting the e-ticket. Changed to a 9.30am flight, 200$ out the window in change fees.

Regards, Sveinn
Old Feb 14, 14, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by nyc2socal View Post
...My first international business trip, thinking the American dress code of "khakis and polo" should be acceptable everywhere in the world.. Me=embarrassed.
Similar experience -- I have pictures of myself from many years ago on a trip to Paris wearing khakis and polo shirt, and even jeans with white sneakers. In Paris, of all places! I cringe every time I see those pictures. The only thing I can say in my defense is at least I didn't wear shorts...
Old Feb 14, 14, 11:46 pm

As a graduate student going home for the Christmas holiday, I arrive at the gate exhausted. Despite the crowds and noise, before I knew it I was fast asleep. Upon waking, I look around to an empty gate area. I run up to the desk and was told my flight had already left. Luckily I was rebooked on the next flight leaving in two hours. You can bet there was no more napping before that flight.
Old Feb 15, 14, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by mehndi View Post
As a graduate student going home for the Christmas holiday, I arrive at the gate exhausted. Despite the crowds and noise, before I knew it I was fast asleep. Upon waking, I look around to an empty gate area. I run up to the desk and was told my flight had already left. Luckily I was rebooked on the next flight leaving in two hours. You can bet there was no more napping before that flight.
You fell asleep at the gate for your flight and the GA couldn't even go over to you and see if you were on that flight before closing the door?
Old Feb 15, 14, 12:17 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by KevinDTW View Post
You fell asleep at the gate for your flight and the GA couldn't even go over to you and see if you were on that flight before closing the door?
Only to be yelled at for waking someone who was waiting on a later flight... If I was a GA I would never wake someone. 50/50 chance they are asleep because they're waiting for a later flight.
Old Feb 15, 14, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by pittpanther View Post
Only to be yelled at for waking someone who was waiting on a later flight... If I was a GA I would never wake someone. 50/50 chance they are asleep because they're waiting for a later flight.
So there's a 50% chance the person is not waiting for a later flight... Missing a flight is a PITA and I'd rather be woken up, but that's just me.
Old Feb 16, 14, 12:25 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec, F9 Ascent, AK MVP GOLD, DL,AA,NW,SW,CO
A few years back I was traveling back to back weeks for work and booking travel through one of our administrative assistants. I had them book an upcoming trip from DEN to SNA. I got to the airport, checked-in, checked my bag, boarded my flight. It wasn't until I was half way into the flight and talking with one of the other passengers that I realized I was on a plane to SJC, NOT SNA, my reservation had been incorrectly booked. I had a customer appointment in Orange County the next morning that I could not miss. I grabbed my bag, had a co-worker book me a one-way rental car, and I drove overnight all the way to Orange County, was an hour late to the customer appointment but made it, I had a full 8 hour work day, then went to my hotel and collapsed. The next night we drove my one-way rental to LAX and dropped it off. I booked a one-way back to DEN from SNA. That week sucked!

-Patrick
Old Feb 16, 14, 12:40 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold75k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Had an experience somewhat similar to Patricks a few years ago, fortunately for me I caught my mistake late at night the day before my trip. It was to a client in Kentucky, but I had used the address on my contact's card and NOT where the meeting was to be held with the entire client company, I realized the hotel distance from the airport and it was NOT just a few minutes as I had been told, it was across the state! Going back through the emails I found the actual meeting site, and was able to make a change (with resultant fees back then as a non-elite) to the correct airport, but, thank goodness I did check!

Originally Posted by TIGA31328 View Post
A few years back I was traveling back to back weeks for work and booking travel through one of our administrative assistants. I had them book an upcoming trip from DEN to SNA. I got to the airport, checked-in, checked my bag, boarded my flight. It wasn't until I was half way into the flight and talking with one of the other passengers that I realized I was on a plane to SJC, NOT SNA, my reservation had been incorrectly booked. I had a customer appointment in Orange County the next morning that I could not miss. I grabbed my bag, had a co-worker book me a one-way rental car, and I drove overnight all the way to Orange County, was an hour late to the customer appointment but made it, I had a full 8 hour work day, then went to my hotel and collapsed. The next night we drove my one-way rental to LAX and dropped it off. I booked a one-way back to DEN from SNA. That week sucked!

-Patrick
Old Feb 16, 14, 3:43 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Emirates SkyAwards Silver
Not as funny as some of the previous, but.......managed to get myself to the wrong hotel in LA. Was returning to do the same job as Id done the previous year and my brain went into neutral upon landing. Went to the same hotel id booked the year before. Wasn't too bad as was only about a 1/2 mile walk to the correct one; however pretty much as soon as I'd left the wrong hotel to make my way to the correct one, one of the wheels on my case broke off. Had to drag the thing along with my laptop bag......seriously fell out with myself!
Old Feb 17, 14, 12:06 am

Programs: UA Gold/GE
Not my dumbest, but most recent (yesterday). Going back to our hotel room after breakfast, I carried my iPad back with me, and placed my key card right on top of it. Door would not open, and my kids figured out their dad made a stupid mistake. My iPad cover has magnets, and I inadvertently demagnetized the key card. Fortunately, my wife had a key card that worked.
Old Feb 18, 14, 2:00 am

Lightbulb Alarm snooze button for early flight is a bad idea

Years ago, I had a fabulous last night in Nice at a bar. I'm a night owl and would much rather stay up all night rather than awaken at three or four in the morning for a very early morning departure. Arriving back at the hotel after 2:00, I thought I'd try to sleep for an hour. I think that I even had the desk call me to wake me up but I still relied on the alarm on the bedside table. I hit the snooze button and awakened around 5 with the awareness--oh my God I only have about two hours before departure. Ran around my room to gather my belongings, asked the hotel to call a taxi and I begged the driver if he was sure he could rush to the airport on time. Naturally, he said sure. I paid a huge taxi fee and made it about 45 minutes before departure. Even with carry-on only, the counter agent said that they closed the flight one hour ahead and they would not let me board. I had to pay another taxi to get me back to the hotel, paid for hotel, change fee, another airport transport and flew out the next day. A very, very pricey last evening out.
Old Feb 18, 14, 2:37 am

Probably the dumbest, certainly the one that I was most embarrassed of at the time. I ran into a colleague heading out from ARN while I was heading back in, just needing to catch a small domestic hop back to my then home. I had a time budget in mind and so we chatted as we got a burger from the local chain (Max) and then a coffee. I casually made my way back to Terminal 4, where a quick check of the board led me to the unpleasant realization that I had mixed up the flight's take-off and boarding times!

After quick trip to the nearby SAS desk with my head hung in shame, I was rebooked on the next flight a couple of hours later. I'd blame jetlag, but I've done similarly silly things with trains and public transportation in the US more often than I'd care to count. At least I made it home the same day that time.
Old Feb 18, 14, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post

Is that a real routing or a typo? What did they fly such a short connection on?
Sorry, didn't see your quote.. Yes, it was a real routing.. It was pretty much up and down for the flight. It was an ERJ45.. I think I took that SNA-LAX flight 3 times.. That was back when there were mad dog SNA-SJC flights, and an AC in SJC..

I also remember for a short period of time AA had a SNA-JFK flight on a 75 - which I loved..
Old Feb 18, 14, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
Originally Posted by lanago2 View Post
I'm a night owl and would much rather stay up all night... I thought I'd try to sleep for an hour....
I'm the same way, but have successfully avoided the temptation to "sleep an hour", instead, I pack and get ready for an hour..

Search this Thread