Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:26 pm

Some real knee-slappers here. Ha ha. This story was from when I studied abroad in England and backpacked around Europe.

I was in France, taking a train from Paris to Versailles to see the Palace of Versailles. At the Paris train station, I got to the platforms but didn't know which train to get on.

There was a guy standing in the doorway of a train. I approached and asked, "Is this the train to Versailles?" in my high-school French.

He answered, but the engine noise was so loud I couldn't hear him. "What?" I asked. He repeated, but still couldn't understand.

Finally, I had to get in the train and ask my question again. He said, "This is not the train to Versailles."

That's when the train doors slid and closed.

Oh crap!

I got off at the next station. Looked around, and at the opposite end of the platform saw a sign with a train schedule. I walked over and looked at it. Saw the train number. Double-checked and realized it was the train I'd been riding in! The guy was wrong. It had been the right train all along.

That's when the horns beeped that the train was leaving. I ran back across the whole platform to the train and jumped in just before the doors closed.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: United, Delta, AA, southwest
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by roberino
Laughed myself stupid when I heard this one.

My colleague had an appointment in Montana for this week. He was supposed to be in the lab in Bozeman all day on 2nd and 3rd Jan with a customer. The only flight he could book (booked on 24/12) was outbound on 31st Dec. He wasn't happy as he had tickets to go to a club in London for New Years Eve. He rang the airline twice every day to ask if there were seats free on New Years Day and on the 30th he finally got told there was a cancellation. He rebooked and jubilantly went off to London for the night after packing in readiness. He woke up early, drove to the airport in plenty of time and went to check in. The agent told him, "Sir, your ticket was for yesterday. Please go to the ticket desk to sort it out." Obviously he went berserk and took out a spadeful of rage on the agents concerned and was actually talking to a senior manager who helpfully went through his booking history, telling him in the process that his original ticket was for 31/12, he rebooked for 1/1 but he was a no show.

"But today is the first of January!" he yelled.

"No sir, today is the second of January. You are a day late. It will be GBP1200 to rebook your ticket for today's flight."

It turns out that his New Year party in London was so good that both he and his partner had slept through his 7am alarm on 1/1 and were awoken by the repeating alarm on 2/1. We're fairly sure he will have to stump up the GBP1200 himself...
LMAO!!!!!!!! What a party!^
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:34 am

I went on a school trip to the US when I was 17. I thought myself very cool and 'grown up'. We get to immigration control and we have to fill out the immigration cards. For occupation, a person my age would normally write 'STUDENT'. So, imagine my shock when the officer checking my details goes to me: "So, you are a Stupid?" I had written in big capital letters under occupation: 'STUPID' not 'STUDENT'.

!!!! Pretty stupid!!!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 2:01 pm

(1) Me and husband were on the separate flight home from vacation. (mile ticket)
My flight arrives 2 hr ahead of my husband.
Naturally, I would go home first and rest, then drive up to pick him up.
Arrived at my airport only to found out that I did not have a key to the house!!
Waited 2 hr sitting at the airport for my husband to show up.

(2) At DCA, we once saw a man at UA counter frantically getting his itinenarly sort out by the counter agent.
His voice was loud enough that we understood his error.
He had purcahed a connecting flight, say, NY to Chicago through Washington DC.
But, his ticket was actually going thru two separate airports in DC area.
JFK-DCA (Washington DC National airport),
IAD (Washington Dulles International Airport)-Chicago.
Although, DCA and IAD are the airports servicing the greater Washington D.C. area,
these two are about 40min apart from each other by cab.
His connecting flight was departing in 20 min from IAD.
I hope he was able to catch the next flight out.

(3). On the thanksgiving morning, I saw a man denied bording at the gate because
he did not have a paper ticket. Apparently, Priceline had mailed him a paper ticket
and he was supposed to bring that paper ticket, not the email confirmation letter.
He was sooo mad. I could understand.

(4). My sister, brother-in-law, and their kids were scheduled to depart for a beach vacation.
Brother-in-law had been in charge of arranging the vacation package.
Then, on the way to the airport in the train, brother-in-law casually checked their itinenarly,
only to find out that their filght had already departed.
He thought their flight was leaving in the afternoon, when it was leaving in the morning.
They were able to cancel the vacation package for a minimal fee
and able to rebook another vacation package at the airport.
However, my sister and brother-in-law had a huge argument at the beach front, of course.
(Original destination was far superior than the compromised destination)
Since then, my sister always checks the itinenary.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 2:15 pm

Oh, I remember one more episode.

On USAirways, from Phoenix, Arizona to Maui,
I saw a family of 4 heading to beach vacation.
They were dressed appropriately for the beach,
in shorts, T-shirts, mini-skirts, flip-flop, and of course no covering.

Flight is about 7 hr long and the cabin was air-conditioned like a fridge.
About 4 hrs into the flight, mom and kid started sneezing quite a lot.
Family then asked the cabin attendant for the extra blanket,
which at that point, all the blanket are gone.
So, the family had to sit in the winter temperature with a summer clothings for 7 hrs.
That looked tough.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 2:24 pm

Completely forgot about my stupid mistake, now I remember.

Pre-2001, my sister visited me in college and we spent a great time together.
The night before she was to go home, we stayed up too late.
Next morning, the alarm went off and No one woke up.

Woke up 40 min before the departure time.
Put everything in the car and drove to the airport, arrive in 30 min. (speeded, yes...)
Less than 10 min to spare, she was able to board the flight.
Counter agent was soooo helpful.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 2:38 pm

This is my husband's episode.
He was to leave on a business trip and had his suit in a separate bag than our usual luggage bag.
Took a Super Shuttle, and of course, forgot to pick up this separate bag.
He had to buy a brand new suit at the destination before his meeting.
Costed $400, Grr!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:14 pm

OH, now I remember my sister's episode. (reading the threads brings back all the memories)

This is pre-2001 episode.
Me, my sister, and cousins were off to Florida vacation.
I drove the car and dropped off the entire group to check-in &
arrange to meet them up at the gate while I went to park in the economy parking.
25 min later, I returned to the terminal, checked-in myself, went to the gate and found no one there.

??? Puzzled, but where else can they go. So I waited at the gate.
I even spoke to the gate agent, if they had seen the group.
Me and gate agent became even more puzzled.
Since there were later flights with plenty of open seat, so if it had to come to it,
gate agent could change our itinenary free of charge.

Anyway, as the cut-off time approached, agent and I were talking about possilbe change of flight scenario,
then I saw my group rushing, running, out-of-breath, like a stampede heading my way.
Turned out, they went to the same gate number of a wrong terminal.
We made it to the flight only 2 min to spare.

How could you go to a wrong gate?!
I even dropped them off at the correct terminal, but stupidly enough,
my sister managed to lead the entire group to a wrong terminal.
I laughed so hard on this one.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Does this count?

In the early days of email, my wife looped me into a conversation regarding taking a vacation with her mom. I replied back describing how un-enthusiastic I was about vacationing with her mother. I was quite colorful and comical-which my wife would have been fine with. EXCEPT-I replied all-including my mother-in-law. This was 10+ years ago. Not sure I am forgiven for this yet.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Georgina Cammalleri
I went on a school trip to the US when I was 17. I thought myself very cool and 'grown up'. We get to immigration control and we have to fill out the immigration cards. For occupation, a person my age would normally write 'STUDENT'. So, imagine my shock when the officer checking my details goes to me: "So, you are a Stupid?" I had written in big capital letters under occupation: 'STUPID' not 'STUDENT'.

!!!! Pretty stupid!!!
HAHAH these stories are amazing.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:19 pm

From Television (Parks & Rec, when April & Andy go on a 30-something-hour roadtrip because he has "See the grand canyon" on his bucket list):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwYQIf0Hwfs

Hilarious
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
This is peanuts compared to some of the other stories, but 3:30am in a dead city isn't the best time to be making dumb mistakes...

I spent two months in Leipzig, Germany one winter. It's a small yet sprawling city, but there's no transport after 12:30am except for a few night buses, each with departures from the Hauptbahnhof at 1:11am, 2:22am and 3:33am. (Making it easy for drunk people to remember the times, I guess )

My flat there was convenient to night buses N1 and N3. One night I was out late with friends and we all sprinted to barely make the 3:33am buses. Cold, tired and tipsy, I jumped on the N3 without thinking, just craving my warm bed. I'd totally forgotten what I knew: I should never take the N3 home unless coming from the other side of town.

I soon realised and had that "oh sh*t" moment. By that point, walking home wasn't an option. I wanted to get out at the next stop to grab a cab, but there were none around. There weren't even any people or cars on the streets. (Those familiar with Leipzig will know that it's pretty dead most nights.)

So instead of getting home in 10 minutes, I wound up taking an excruciatingly long early-morning bus tour of the outskirts of Leipzig (the N3 does a long loop around the suburbs). We finally made it to my street - one of the last stops - at 5am. I had to be up at 7:30am for my next day's commitments. Plodded through the whole day feeling like absolute hell.

It could've been a whole lot worse I guess
Old Jan 4, 2013, 1:11 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyingJoy
This is peanuts compared to some of the other stories, but 3:30am in a dead city isn't the best time to be making dumb mistakes...

I spent two months in Leipzig, Germany one winter. It's a small yet sprawling city, but there's no transport after 12:30am except for a few night buses, each with departures from the Hauptbahnhof at 1:11am, 2:22am and 3:33am. (Making it easy for drunk people to remember the times, I guess )

My flat there was convenient to night buses N1 and N3. One night I was out late with friends and we all sprinted to barely make the 3:33am buses. Cold, tired and tipsy, I jumped on the N3 without thinking, just craving my warm bed. I'd totally forgotten what I knew: I should never take the N3 home unless coming from the other side of town.

I soon realised and had that "oh sh*t" moment. By that point, walking home wasn't an option. I wanted to get out at the next stop to grab a cab, but there were none around. There weren't even any people or cars on the streets. (Those familiar with Leipzig will know that it's pretty dead most nights.)

So instead of getting home in 10 minutes, I wound up taking an excruciatingly long early-morning bus tour of the outskirts of Leipzig (the N3 does a long loop around the suburbs). We finally made it to my street - one of the last stops - at 5am. I had to be up at 7:30am for my next day's commitments. Plodded through the whole day feeling like absolute hell.

It could've been a whole lot worse I guess
No public transit after 12:30? Tokyo's not too far off...
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by msiamsia
OH, now I remember my sister's episode. (reading the threads brings back all the memories)

This is pre-2001 episode.
Me, my sister, and cousins were off to Florida vacation.
I drove the car and dropped off the entire group to check-in &
arrange to meet them up at the gate while I went to park in the economy parking.
25 min later, I returned to the terminal, checked-in myself, went to the gate and found no one there.

??? Puzzled, but where else can they go. So I waited at the gate.
I even spoke to the gate agent, if they had seen the group.
Me and gate agent became even more puzzled.
Since there were later flights with plenty of open seat, so if it had to come to it,
gate agent could change our itinenary free of charge.

Anyway, as the cut-off time approached, agent and I were talking about possilbe change of flight scenario,
then I saw my group rushing, running, out-of-breath, like a stampede heading my way.
Turned out, they went to the same gate number of a wrong terminal.
We made it to the flight only 2 min to spare.

How could you go to a wrong gate?!
I even dropped them off at the correct terminal, but stupidly enough,
my sister managed to lead the entire group to a wrong terminal.
I laughed so hard on this one.
This must have been pre-cell phone for you and your sister or else a call/text when you arrived would've solved the mystery quickly. I've been languishing without a cell phone for a few days now and have been reminiscing about life before cell phones. I couldn't even find a working pay phone two days ago, at least back then the pay phones usually worked. Your story reminds me of those days.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: BA
A story from years ago. It helps if you know the London Underground; of course, you can always be like me and "know it all" anyway.

The Central Line has two branches at the east end, which merge together at Leytonstone station to go on through Central London. Trains come pretty much alternately from each branch, and come in on opposite sides of the same platform. the tracks merge immediately beyond. When you get there, if there is a train already in on the opposite side, you can maybe take the 10 steps across the platform if that train is leaving first, and gain a few minutes. If the signal at the end of the opposite track is already green that tells you it will be leaving first.

So. 6 am, need to be at Heathrow for an early flight, had stayed overnight with friends at Gants Hill, late leaving (of course), in a rush, onto the train, came into Leytonstone station and, yes, there is a train on the opposite side of the platform. I know what to do - remember the "know it all" bit.

Look out to see signals but I'm at the back of the train, there's a building in the way. Ours is red, so maybe the other train is ready to go. Run across platform to look at other signal but just then the doors give the hiss of them closing (no peep-peep-peep in those days) so I leap straight in without seeing the indicator or the signal. Wow. Just in time. Brace against the handhold the correct way, as you do, for the jolt at the train starts westwards - and it starts. EASTWARDS. Then I see there's nobody else in it. Yes, it's the first trip for the train out of the depot, it just happened to be in that platform as it shunted out of the sidings. I'm now going in the opposite direction to what I want, and getting progressively later.

Next station, run across the bridge but train going back into London just leaving, wait for next train the other way. It takes for ever to come, of course.

Made the plane. Just. No thanks to "know it all".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.