Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Old Mar 3, 12, 6:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, United Plat
This is not the dumbest but probably my most memorable travel story.

I was at a company seminar in Vegas in December of 2008. On Wednesday afternoon, I take a cab to the airport and arrive in time for my flight. As I am walking to my gate, I notice that a number of flights are cancelled. No worries, I keep walking and outside the terminal windows, I see flurries starting. Hmmm...Vegas and flurries. I reach my gate just in time to see the "Cancelled" sign go up. After spending about 30 minutes in there, I speak to my fellow travellers and hear that this is the first snow in Vegas in 16 years and of-course there isn't any snow clearing equipment. Incoming flights were being given priority over outbound flights.

So, I trudge with my strolley to the taxi line, which had swelled to maybe 200 people by then and go back to the Venetian, where I checked out of. I then spend the next 3 days on the phone with my travel agent, sleeping, gambling and getting wasted on the company dime. Finally, my agent is able to buy a one-way on Jet-Blue to JFK. I reach there past 1 am on Sunday morning, give a fellow passenger a ride to EWR to pick up his car and make my way home in NJ.
Old Mar 3, 12, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by porky View Post
This is not the dumbest but probably my most memorable travel story.

I was at a company seminar in Vegas in December of 2008. On Wednesday afternoon, I take a cab to the airport and arrive in time for my flight. As I am walking to my gate, I notice that a number of flights are cancelled. No worries, I keep walking and outside the terminal windows, I see flurries starting. Hmmm...Vegas and flurries. I reach my gate just in time to see the "Cancelled" sign go up. After spending about 30 minutes in there, I speak to my fellow travellers and hear that this is the first snow in Vegas in 16 years and of-course there isn't any snow clearing equipment. Incoming flights were being given priority over outbound flights.

So, I trudge with my strolley to the taxi line, which had swelled to maybe 200 people by then and go back to the Venetian, where I checked out of. I then spend the next 3 days on the phone with my travel agent, sleeping, gambling and getting wasted on the company dime. Finally, my agent is able to buy a one-way on Jet-Blue to JFK. I reach there past 1 am on Sunday morning, give a fellow passenger a ride to EWR to pick up his car and make my way home in NJ.
Out here where I live snow is probably a once in 5 years event. The airport is lower, though.

The real problem is that the only snow-handling equipment in town is a few plows normally used on roads in the hills outside town. Even in the worst snows nobody plows the streets in the city. The airport has no de-icing equipment and thus really does get paralyzed by a few flurries. I've lived here 20 years and the airport closure was a first for me.
Old Mar 4, 12, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by porky View Post

I flew out that same day........ my flight was the last one to take off before they started cancelling flights.......I got home to Seattle just ahead of the snow that hit here and closed our airport as well..... Lots of snow that year, all over!!
Old Mar 4, 12, 4:46 pm

The dumbest this I did was booking a ticket to Florida, but the wrong city. Was supposed to meet my party in Orlando, but I booked it to Jacksonville. Realized the mistake while at the layover in DFW....to little to late. I arrive in Jacksonville about three hours before the party landed in Orlando. Needless to say, I became very familiar with the Florida interstate system.
Old Mar 6, 12, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA mostly
My first intl trip years ago - STL-MIA-LIM-CUZ with 6 friends. When we checked our bags in STL, the desk agent told us they would be checked all the way to Cusco/Cuzco. Having never travelled intl before, we weren't aware that we would have to pick up our bags in Lima to go through customs.
Our flight to Lima was late, and we ran to the gate to catch our flight to Cuzco but we were just a minute too late. We were worried because our bags were (to our knowledge) on the flight that had just left. We wandered around trying to figure out how to get on a later flight, when the gate agent informed us that our bags were NOT on that flight.
We decided the best idea would be to split up, and two of us take all the passports to the baggage area to claim the bags, and the other 5 figure out how to rebook the flights. The woman in baggage claim insisted that our bags were not there. She said it was too late, they were "gone". This went back and forth for a long time. We decided to go find our friends, who had been unable to do anything because they couldn't set foot outside the gate without their passports, and apparently it was a really dumb idea for my friend and I to be carrying multiple passports around an airport filled with armed soldiers.
After waiting another hour for the AA office to open, someone finally assisted us with getting on a later flight, and went down to baggage claim to inquire about our bags (and of course all of a sudden the woman knew where they were).

Now I know to pick up my bag at my first stop internationally, and to carry my passport (and only mine) with me at all times.
Old Mar 6, 12, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I just made a dumb one a week ago.

I have a number of clients in the Atlanta area and always end up staying at the same Hilton Garden in Alpharetta.

Last week I arrived at ATL, picked up my rental car, and dutifully drove 30 miles up the highway to my Hilton Garden.

You guessed it - wrong client, wrong Hilton Garden, entirely wrong town. I had to turn around and drive 30 miles in the totally opposite direction.
Old Mar 6, 12, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
Listening to a tout tell me where to buy a good suit in BKK. So naive!!
Old Mar 6, 12, 9:11 pm

Earlier this week, I made a taxi reservation to pick me up from my work at 6:30am to take me to the airport.

I go to sleep, wake up the next morning, and I'm at my work at 5:50am expecting the taxi to pick me up at 6am. I kept waiting and it was already 6:15am. I wasn't happy and called the dispatcher to let him know that they're already 15 minutes late. The dispatcher told me that I had the pickup time for 6:30am. Gahhhh! I finally remembered it was for 6:30am and had to apologize to the dispatcher for my mistake. Being on the road 280 days a year, it just all becomes a blur after a while.
Old Mar 8, 12, 11:49 am

Programs: Hertz 5*, United Gold (Soon to be gone), Hilton Diamond
Had back to back conventions in MCO and TPA. Drove from MCO to TPA, realized I had left my suits in hotel closet. After setting up, drove all the way back to pick up my suits and then back just in time for convention.

At least the suits were able to be located.
Old Mar 8, 12, 2:12 pm

My mistake

I was flying out of SJC to LAX and being the early hour that it was I mistakenly bought a lousy cup of Joe from Starbucks when I meant to buy a Cappuccino at Illys up the way about 50 yards. I never made that mistake again.
Old Mar 9, 12, 8:46 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Back just before the gate agents started to "Scan" your boarding pass, I got on a plane that I thought was going to ORD when it was really going to LAX. The gate agent cheerfully allowed me to board the wrong flight. Almost flew that flight by error but fortunately a guy gets on at the last minute and I had his seat and I discovered the error that I was ON THE WRONG FLIGHT.

Not much worse than actually being on the wrong plane going to the wrong place. Back before scanning of boarding passes, it was up to the gate agent to check if some goof actually tried to board the wrong plane. During busy connections with confusing dual-gate boarding areas, this did happen on occasion.
Old Mar 9, 12, 10:30 am

I made a doozy recently on a flight from BLI to LAS.

I'd been up since 3 am in order to catch a 5 am shuttle from Vancouver to Bellingham so I'm already running on a sleep deficit; when I get to BLI it's such a small airport that there are no signs telling you where to go/what to do, so I get in line with everyone else like a good little boy.

After a couple of minutes I notice that there's a second line which is moving a lot faster; I ask what the line's for and am told that it'd for those who've already checked in. "Fantastic," I think, "I've already checked in online so I can just switch over to that line and get through faster!"

Even after going past the TSA document checker, I didn't clue in to what I'd done wrong until I realized that there was no way in Hades that my suitcase, which needed to be checked in, wasn't going to fit through the x-ray machine. Yep, when they said "check-in line" it was referring to luggage too.

Fortunately they were nice and didn't hassle me as I pulled everything together and got out of the security line - I guess they felt I was embarrassed enough that they didn't have to mock me. I went back to the check-in line, which was a lot shorter by then, checked in my suitcase and got back in line for security. I was willing to take a certain amount of ribbing regarding my screw-up but again, everyone involved was polite and didn't point out how dumb I'd been.

I guess the moral to my story is when at BLI:

1) Stay in the longer line if you have a bag to check;

2) The line with TSA is not where you should be with anything other than carry-on (though I suppose that applies pretty much anywhere).
Old Mar 9, 12, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ DM+, CX DM, LH SEN
Biggest and stupidest mistake was taking the wrong baggage at arrivals. I'd packed my baggage in a special box and was in a rush so took the first piece of baggage that looked like mine. It was only after exiting the airport and getting home that I realized I'd taken the wrong one. So I went back to the airport with the wrongly taken baggage in the hope that mine was still there. Unfortunately it wasn't as the other party, who'd packed their baggage in an identical box, took mine!
Old Mar 10, 12, 1:05 am

For my career I travel extremely frequently. Well about 5 months ago I caught a cab to the airport and forgot my drivers license at home, need less to say I could not check in for my flight. Pretty rough day!
Old Mar 10, 12, 5:03 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by Halo2012 View Post
For my career I travel extremely frequently. Well about 5 months ago I caught a cab to the airport and forgot my drivers license at home, need less to say I could not check in for my flight. Pretty rough day!
No ID Card or no passport?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: