Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Old Jan 17, 11, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JMB2589 View Post
Lesson one: Always secure an upgrade (especially if you have a middle!)
Lesson two: Never get too wasted at the airport bar
Lesson three: Always follow-up with a positive email or letter to the airline when employees go WAY beyond the call of duty to accommodate your drunk ...
Old Jan 17, 11, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, CO Plat, UA 1P, FB Plat, Marriott PLT, PC Plat, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Nat'l Exec
Forgot to get miles AND points for 3-night ORD-IAH business trip at a Wyndham.
Old Jan 17, 11, 3:51 pm

Programs: Flying Blue ; Qatar Privilege Club
When they first banned sharp stuff on carry-on, I checked in for a flight and they found a long forgotten - but brand-new beautiful German scissors in a side pocket. I didn't want it thrown away so I took it and went to the airport garage to put it in the car. Anyway I'm wondering around unable to find the car and I realise I might miss my flight if I don't hurry - all for the sake of a lovely scissors! So I rush back to the terminal and on the way out of the car park I see a tall coke machine - throw my scissors on top and still make my flight. On returning several days later, it's still there!! Win!
Old Jan 17, 11, 9:48 pm

Was at the end of my money in Bogotá and I had about 2 hours before departure, I wanted a souvineer so I left and was looking all over for it.. after spending a good amount of time in the city I knew I'd get stuck in traffic. Sure enough I missed my flight, I was completely out of money and there were no flights for 2 days. I got stuck in a run down hotel in a not so nice neighborhood for less than $5/night
Old Jan 17, 11, 9:55 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
Made this mistake just last week...entered US in ATL on Friday, got through immigration in record time, picked up luggage again in record time, walked through customs, rechecked luggage then went to Delta counter to change flights to an earlier departure - stopped dead in my tracks when I realized I'd already checked my luggage therefore impossible to get onto another flight.

This was a novice mistake and I should know better, but was distracted by the 5 or 6 Atlanta fireman walking around with some kind of handheld device trying to track the natural gas smell.

I was kicking myself for the entire three hour layover...
Old Jan 18, 11, 3:40 am

I was going through airport security's metal detectors, I always manage to set them off no matter what I take off, avoid wearing, etc. So one time I decided I'd just accept the usual pat down and not bother making any special efforts to get through quickly. I walk through with my watch on, change in my pocket, the works and the scanner doesn't go off. I turn around to check the lights aren't flashing, smile that I finally get through the check without a problem and just as I'm about to pick up my bag I'm called over to be frisked. Seems like the smile was suspicious.
Old Jan 18, 11, 6:08 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by Frizzy View Post
When they first banned sharp stuff on carry-on, I checked in for a flight and they found a long forgotten - but brand-new beautiful German scissors in a side pocket. I didn't want it thrown away so I took it and went to the airport garage to put it in the car. Anyway I'm wondering around unable to find the car and I realise I might miss my flight if I don't hurry - all for the sake of a lovely scissors! So I rush back to the terminal and on the way out of the car park I see a tall coke machine - throw my scissors on top and still make my flight. On returning several days later, it's still there!! Win!
Yep. Only us tall people know whats on top of vending machines.
Old Jan 18, 11, 9:14 pm
jyh

Arrived at NRT after a long days journey from Louisiana and way too much to drink. I put my laptop bag on the airport hotel check in counter to get the passport from the pouch inside. After checking in I put the passport back in the computer case and yanked the pouch off the counter top. BAM. My brand new IBM laptop crashed several feet below on to the marble hotel floor with parts and pieces began rolling everywhere. Many many Asian's looked dumbfound at me and many many ohhhh's were heard.
Old Jan 19, 11, 8:48 am

Programs: Lufthansa Gold, BA Gold, Starwood Platinum
I fell asleep close to the gate and missed my flight...
Old Feb 14, 11, 1:26 am

Programs: Air Canada - SuperElite; Hilton Honors Diamond VIP; Hertz 5 Star; AirMiles Gold; Avis Preferred;
Embarassed to say but 24 years ago when I was in University I had a Christmas flight from Montreal to London to visit my parents who were there for the year. I bought my ticket two months in advance. Two months went by and two days before my flight I suddenly realized that my passport had expired. Luckily I was living in Ottawa so I went to the Foreign Affairs building and they said, no problem, we can issue a passport within 24 hours if you already have an international ticket. Great, here you go. ....AND get a guarantor to sign your renewal application. Unlike now, in those days you had to know a guarantor for at least 2 years and they could only be a teacher, professor, lawyer or doctor. I had only been attending university for a year and a half and it was already Friday afternoon. I raced back to my university, found a prof, explained my situation, he signed, I ran back to Foreign affairs before it closed, got my application for renewal in, then went back the next afternoon, picked up my passport and caught my bus at 5 to Montreal for my 10 pm flight. I JUST made it.
Old Feb 14, 11, 2:06 am

Programs: Air Canada - SuperElite; Hilton Honors Diamond VIP; Hertz 5 Star; AirMiles Gold; Avis Preferred;
Here's one that could only happen in Canada! I was flying home to Vancouver from a native reserve in the far north of Manitoba. I had been up there installing software at the reserve school and training staff. The guy who was driving me to the reserve's airstrip (actually, it was a frozen uneven field, I kid you not) suddenly asked me if I liked meat. Sure, I said (hoping that was the right answer as I really wanted to get home in one piece). We suddenly veer off the road and stop in front of the driver's house. He gets out of the truck and runs into his house while I start looking for a bulletproof vest. Anyways, he comes back out a few seconds later with a package wrapped in newspaper. Is it a body, I ask with a nervous laugh? Caribou, he answers. Freshly shot. 20 kilos (about 44 pounds). Do you have room in your suitcase? Sure, I say, not wanting to offend anyone when so far away from my final destination. So I quickly rearrange my suitcase to accomodate 20 kilos of freshly frozen Caribou meat. It was winter, the temperature was -25 and I figured it would stay frozen all the way to Vancouver. Problem was, I had to transfer at Winnipeg and when I arrived I found out my flight was delayed for 3 hours. Where do they store the luggage , I enquired at the ticketing counter. Oh, we bring it inside so nothing gets frozen. Jesus, I don't even know if it's legal to transport such a large quantity of freshly shot Caribou meat and now it's going to start thawing inside of my suitcase? I didn't say a word. After a 4 hour delay my flight leaves for Vancouver, another 3 hour flight. I arrive safely and wait by the carousel to pick up my luggage. After 30 minutes it still hasn't arrived so I go to baggage claim and report it missing. As I'm waiting an RCMP officer comes along with my luggage in tow. I hesitantly say, hey, that's my suitcase. The RCMP officer says, is this yours? Yes. Suddenly he grins and says great - it was missing a luggage tag and fell off a cart and we didn't know what flight it came from. We opened it up to check for id and found 20 kilos of frozen Caribou meat and were wondering why anyone would be stupid enough to put that in their luggage. Well, since you were coming from a reserve in northern Manitoba, that explains everything. Have a good day.
corialis likes this.

Last edited by bcbailey64; Feb 14, 11 at 2:28 am
Old Feb 14, 11, 2:25 am

Last one. A couple of years ago I had a week's holiday and decided to redeem some frequent flyer miles for a ticket from Vancouver to Hawaii (the only state I hadn't been to) for 4 days followed by a 5 day trip to Buenos Aires (my 6th continent). At the time I was flying out of Vancouver on a weekly basis to the US where I was working on a software implementation project and I never checked luggage. This time I didn;t check luggage when I went to Hawaii . I came back to Vancouver, stayed overnight in an airport hotel and left early the next morning on a shuttle back to the airport. This time I wanted to check my luggage but as I usually do I just walked straight through ticketing, used my NEXUS card as the first leg was a US connection to get through US Customs and then placed my luggage on the belt before going through security. The only problem was it WASN'T tagged and because the staff at the belt were busy they didn't notice it. 14 hours later I arrived in Buenos Aires and my luggage didn't show up. After awhile I went to baggage claim and as I was filling out the missing luggage form the terrible truth dawned on me that I had forgotten to get my bag tagged in Vancouver. Luckily, I had my frequent flyer tag on the bag so when I phoned YVR they said they had it and would put it on the next flight and it should arrive the day before I was leaving BA. So I ended up buying lots of new clothes in BA!!
Old Feb 14, 11, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A friend of mine who owed me a few, tried to get me a WN reward from RDU-AUS to come visit him for a weekend. When I got the confirmation email, I saw he'd screwed up and it was actually from AUS-RDU. I emailed him back (or so I thought) to tell him to fix it. Two weeks later I asked if it had been fixed yet and he had no idea what I was talking about. Turned out when I hit "reply" it went back to Southwest. Now there is no availability on the weekend we want to use
Old Feb 14, 11, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
A couple of years ago, I overslept and missed my flight to Vancouver for a cruise. Woke up as my original flight was landing at DFW. With a whole lot of begging AA agreed to reinstate my ticket with no charge - only problem was almost all flights out of my local airport were oversold for the next 3 days. I managed to get a seat on WN to Love Field, where I took a taxi to DFW and AA allowed me to start my journey from there (on a much later flight than originally booked). Managed to get there only 8 hours later than originally scheduled. Friends and family of course will never let me live this one down.
Old Feb 19, 11, 9:53 am

Stupidist travel mistake you have ever made

Many threads relate to the subject but i cannot find one so specific.
I have two:

1) I was in Taipei on a buying trip and was asked to bring back to Thailand, where we lived, some family heirlooms to a colleague who was from Taiwan. I dutifully picked up the things from his family and headed back to my hotel. I left the bags in the shelf behind the seat in the taxi. Many hours later, sound asleep, I was awaked with a question; "had I left things in a taxi?" The driver had retraced his routes until he found me. He would not accept a tip. I was, and am, eternally grateful. I never told my friend what happened.

2) Years later I was living in Bahrain. A girlfriend left to go to Fargo, North Dakota, USA to study. I missed her so I flew to fargo to see her. The Brannif FC served nice alcohol so I drank some of it. Upon arrived in frigid Fargo I dropped my Concorde passport wallet with passport, credit cards, a huge sum of cash, other ID and my address book. I dropped it in the snow covered parking lot. Some hours later after a nice reunion her telephone rang. The airport manager was asking if she knew me. A local citizen saw the wallet and turned it in all the money and everything else intact. The airport manager delivered a lecture, but gave me my goodies. The cash was $5,000 and it was in 1977.

I believed ever since that the cities of Taipei and Fargo were the most excellent and honest places on earth. It took the Coen brothers and "Fargo" to disabuse me about Fargo. Nothing has ever changed my view of Taipei.

Maybe I have learned from my stupidity. I have since lost few things.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: