Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:38 pm

Programs: QF-Gold
Originally Posted by cph_flyer
Here is one of mine. I was at BRU airport lately. Spend some time in one of the lounges and made some some tax free shopping. Since I had plenty of time , I decided to go landside for a while to get some fresh air and enjoy a cigarette .
Once outside however , I suddenly recalled the nice Belgian beer I was carrying from the Tax Free ! Managed to gulp down two of them , but sadly had to dump the rest in a litter bin, before I proceded back airside
An unfortunate and understandable mistake, but something puzzles me about this. You couldn't have found a person to give this beer to as you could no longer use it yourself? Time may have been of the essence and I understand that there may not have been time to search, but surely an airport worker at a counter somewhere would have appreciated an unexpected gift. Such a waste to throw beer in a litter bin, particularly if it is Belgian Perhaps I am misunderstanding the circumstance though, no offense intended.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:00 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platnum
Well personally I wouldn't just accept random drinks (beer in this case) from a total stranger.

My dumbest move was leaving my laptop at the security line a few years ago at SFO when I was on my way to Germany. After security I picked up my bag and went to the lounge for a drink. Most times I would do some emails on the laptop but for some unknown reason I didn't that time. Only noticed the laptop was missing half way to FRA when I tried to do some work. For a minute or so I thought someone on the airplane stole it, until I finally realized what had happened

Upon landing I called back to office and my co-worker was nice enough to drive to SFO to pick it up the next day. Not sure how he got the TSA to release it to him though.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Toga1K
Well personally I wouldn't just accept random drinks (beer in this case) from a total stranger.
I suppose others would have similar reservations, though if it were in clearly unopened bottles, I would be very grateful for the thought. Each to their own
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:30 am

Programs: SAS
Originally Posted by lazy_flyer
An unfortunate and understandable mistake, but something puzzles me about this. You couldn't have found a person to give this beer to as you could no longer use it yourself? Time may have been of the essence and I understand that there may not have been time to search, but surely an airport worker at a counter somewhere would have appreciated an unexpected gift. Such a waste to throw beer in a litter bin, particularly if it is Belgian Perhaps I am misunderstanding the circumstance though, no offense intended.
I´d happily have passed the beer onto someone else, and this was also my first thought But as I looked around I couldn´t find any likely candidates who would readily accept beers from a total stranger without a long explanation. And there is also the security concern here beeing in airport surroundings trying to hand out stuff to strangers.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by cph_flyer
I´d happily have passed the beer onto someone else, and this was also my first thought But as I looked around I couldn´t find any likely candidates who would readily accept beers from a total stranger without a long explanation. And there is also the security concern here beeing in airport surroundings trying to hand out stuff to strangers.
Very understandable, perhaps I'm just thirsty!
Old Sep 22, 2010, 1:46 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
On our honeymoon, arriving at YVR from FRA, connecting to HNL. I usually travel with only one piece of hand luggage but had the roll-aboard and a backpack this time. When I dropped of our luggage after going through Canada and US customs and immigration, I forgot the carry-on roll-aboard on the luggage cart. Luckily someone realised before I went through security so I could go back and fetch it. Felt a bit stupid forgetting such a huge piece on a cart!
Old Sep 22, 2010, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Luckily someone realised before I went through security so I could go back and fetch it.
I've often wondered how frequently security get requests to return to baggage claim from land side to collect a forgotten bag. Does anyone have any statistics?
Old Sep 22, 2010, 3:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Toga1K
I once cracked a (fairly expensive) bottle of whisky on an airport staircase. The bag started leaking down my leg and pooling on the floor so I just gave it to the nearest security guard. He was more than pleased to take it back to the office so that it could be "decanted" and shared with his colleagues.

It must happen all of the time.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Dont know if I have the most mistakes in this thread but heres another one

Arriving home from the Moscow trip mentioned above (where I missed the outbound sleeping by the gate), I left my passport in the seat pocket on SVO-ARN. I manged to talk my way through immigration with my norwegian driving license as the last passenger from that flight.
However some drew person came running with it just as I had passed immigration^
Old Sep 22, 2010, 9:27 pm

My husband had gone target shooting the weekend before I was to leave on a trip. He used my bag to hold the bullets--I guess one of them fell out of the container. TSA was NOT amused when they found it! I was not either!

When my husband first started traveling for business, we went through security. He was asked to do additional screening as asked me to gather his stuff. He had a projector and a small carry on. I grabbed the projector and his carry on and we went to the gate. It was then we could not find his boarding pass. After searching all over we figured it was at the xray machine. We went back to look for it. Instead of finding this boarding pass, there was his work laptop sitting there. I did not know his projector also housed his laptop. Oops. Good thing we lost the boarding pass! His presentation would have been a disaster!
Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by ljknecht570
My husband had gone target shooting the weekend before I was to leave on a trip. He used my bag to hold the bullets--I guess one of them fell out of the container. TSA was NOT amused when they found it! I was not either!

When my husband first started traveling for business, we went through security. He was asked to do additional screening as asked me to gather his stuff. He had a projector and a small carry on. I grabbed the projector and his carry on and we went to the gate. It was then we could not find his boarding pass. After searching all over we figured it was at the xray machine. We went back to look for it. Instead of finding this boarding pass, there was his work laptop sitting there. I did not know his projector also housed his laptop. Oops. Good thing we lost the boarding pass! His presentation would have been a disaster!

Back in 2001 I flew from ex-Yugoslavia through some central european airport (FRA/ZRH/VIE?) to OSL. Arriving at home I found 3 x9mm bullets in my pocket from the previous da shootout in the theatre
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:53 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Another luggage-related one. Flew SFO-JFK-LHR in AA Business using SWU for the fam (meself, missus and the 2 year old - who surprised everyone on board by sleeping end-to-end). Anyway, we arrived at LHR T3, and surprise, surprise, the jetbridge didn't work. So eventually they brought buses around and we then get to immigration (fast, thanks to the priority passes) and baggage claim. All the premium bags have been already been taken off the belt, thanks to the jetbridge dlay for the pax. I'm delighted to see that every suitcase has made it intact (my luck is usually crap on this front). Load up the baggage trolley, blitz through customs and make it to the National Express bus stop (yes, a coach smelling of cat pee is a bit of a step down from AA J). Bus pulls out, and I realize I'm missing something. The car seat for junior is still inside Heathrow!!!!!

Long story short, the car seat then goes LHR-ORD-SFO-DFW-SFO before I eventually get my mitts on it. We somehow managed in the UK w/o the seat - borrowed from friends etc, so not a total disaster, but still a pain in the arse.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I went to Atlanta this month and calculated that I needed $8 worth of MARTA fares. I couldn't figure out the machine at the airport and ended up buying it on two tickets (two round trips), but I only took one. After my first $4 worth, I tried to get back into the subway using my ticket and it said "no fares remaining". I had to convince a bus driver outside the station that I had purchased $8 worth (he didn't believe me) to eventually let me in the station. When I got to my terminus I quickly ran out behind my friend I was traveling with.

I ended up having to buy another one way the next day to get back to ATL. We eventually found out my friend had found my second round trip in the machine and had pocketed it thinking it was his receipt. Silly me.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:06 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Certainly not the dumbest, but it felt dumb. I flew a new configuration AA 738 this year and forgot to check Seatguru before picking a seat. Ended up in a "window seat" that had no window. 10A has a blank wall which intrudes into your shoulder space. So I couldn't see the view and was uncomfortable. You'd think about 800+ flights I'd know better.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 4:40 pm

Am I allowed to post about my wife's dumb mistake?

Hearing no objection ...

Arriving in Frankfurt, my wife and her mother exited the aircraft via one aisle, and our two small children and I used the other aisle. I thought we got off first, so we waited at the gate for them to get off too.

No more pax, were they delayed on board? Went down the jetbridge to check, nope, they were off. How could we have missed them?

Headed down the terminal (at the time, still nonsegregated btw in and outbound). Heard my name on the intercom, and got an airport agent.

Long story short, she and her mom got off first, kept assuming we had gone on ahead, passed through immigration, then finally went to the airport agents. With our younger boy's passport!

He was about six. The nice agent had a little talk with him, to confirm his name etc., then delivered us through immigration with his passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.