Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:43 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Grabbing wrong luggage

Flying LAS-BWI landing late on a Sunday night. Have my luggage and waiting for my wife's. Her's is blue samsonite. Not very common. I grab it and notice it has one of those "over weight" tags. I remarked to her that i didnt remember the agent in LAS putting that on. Oh, well. Off we go.

Arrive home to have the frantic luggage owner's message on our answering machine. SWA figured out what happened and dialed our home and let the other passenger leave a message. No problem except i felt like and idiot. i returned the next morning to the airport and swapped luggage.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
mine is the dumbest travel mistake I **almost** made, but didn't.

I almost booked tickets to ONT (Ontario, California) instead of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Oopsie.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Showed up at STL for a flight to DFW on AA and couldn't find the flight listed on the monitor... became angry and somewhat impatient when agent at ticket counter couldn't find my reservation. I then proceeded to triumphantly whip out my confirmation, at which point the agent politely informed me that the reservation was for a flight in the opposite direction (DFW to STL) and asked if I would like to purchase a ticket to DFW.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:55 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Hello FTers,

About four years ago, I was able to get four business class seats on AA and Qantas using AA miles. ^ The itinerary was SJC-LAX-SYD-AKL-LAX-SJC.

All the flights looked good, they all said SJC-LAX-SYD-AKL-LAX-SJC.

Fine... we show up at for SYD-AKL leg.... and it turns out two of my friends should have flown the PREVIOUS day!!! My life flashed before my eyes....

Oh, no, now the rest of the reservation is now canceled... oh, no, walk-up airfares would be astronomical on an international flight.... oh, no.... oh, no...oh, no. You get the drift.

Turns out that coach fare was only $300 US for walk-up rates.. whew! And the rest of my reservation was NOT canceled! whew!

I guess I forgot to check the dates.... I'm sure I told AA that we wanted to fly on the same day.

What's ironic is one of my friends did nothing but complain about business class on Qantas and said, "I'd rather fly coach!" hrrrmph! Well, she got her wish...... and....I sorta pointed it out to her that she got her wish....(I had to: I'm passive-aggressive! ) She didn't speak to me for days!

Anyway.... that's my story.

David
Old Aug 28, 2010, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Grabbing wrong luggage

Flying LAS-BWI landing late on a Sunday night. Have my luggage and waiting for my wife's. Her's is blue samsonite. Not very common. I grab it and notice it has one of those "over weight" tags. I remarked to her that i didnt remember the agent in LAS putting that on. Oh, well. Off we go.

Arrive home to have the frantic luggage owner's message on our answering machine. SWA figured out what happened and dialed our home and let the other passenger leave a message. No problem except i felt like and idiot. i returned the next morning to the airport and swapped luggage.
I'd say you are lucky.

In some places, picking up the wrong luggage and walking away is pretty much automatically theft.

Perhaps I feel strongly about this after being the victim of someone who also did the same thing as you did, but I caught them before they left the baggage claim area. Unlike you, they were more stubborn about their claiming the "correct" baggage until an official forced us to proffer luggage receipts, which sorted everything out.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 9:25 am

I once was having so much fun in Madrid and did not look at my ticket. i went back to my hotel too pack and realized that i had missed my flight home that day. Luckily when i called US air I got someone in london and they really took care of me and got me on the flight on the next day in Business.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by anat0l
I'd say you are lucky.

In some places, picking up the wrong luggage and walking away is pretty much automatically theft.

Perhaps I feel strongly about this after being the victim of someone who also did the same thing as you did, but I caught them before they left the baggage claim area. Unlike you, they were more stubborn about their claiming the "correct" baggage until an official forced us to proffer luggage receipts, which sorted everything out.
I never leave the BELT now without confirming the name on the airline applied tag. I make no assuptions anymore...ever. At LAS, I believe you have to show your tag or ID or something when leaving the baggage area. But, thats the only place. I can easily see how it could be construed as theft. I assure you it was a mistake and I felt horrible for the fear and inconvience I put in the other passenger.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:04 am
Suspended

I once arrived at the airport from home at 430 to catch a 6am flight, blearly eyed and still half asleep. I needed to check luggage so I had to line up.

I lined up, and they couldn't find my reservation. I pitched a fit, spent 10 minutes there with the very helpful Airtran crew...except I realized I was not flying Airtran that day and had gotten into the wrong line. I was flying Frontier, that was next to the Airtran desks. Whoops Sorry! No wonder they couldn't find my reservation!
Old Sep 5, 2010, 8:15 pm

Programs: Platinum
Dumb and clueless. In the 80's (in college) I decided to visited my brother in New Jersey. Not knowing New Jersey from New York, I had the travel agent book a ticket from SEA to JFK instead of EWR. I remember riding the TWA red-eye in the smoking section. That was awful. He was not very happy, but I did cross the Verrazano (great view!) and I saw the land fills of Staten Island.

On the return trip, I find out at JFK the flight was cancelled months ago, but the ticket agent was able to book me on a flight out of LGA. She gave me the exact cash for the cab ride over. That was exciting.

I know some of the online ticketing sites (united.com, for example) may have their moments, but I look back on that experience and think of the progress we have made. To be able to book seats from the comfort of your home, use e-tickets, and tap the resources of the internet like FlyerTalk is amazing. (And I don't miss the smoking section on airplanes!)
Old Sep 5, 2010, 8:24 pm

Newbie here.

We were sitting at the gate waiting and about 30 minutes before the flight, I mentioned that it was strange that our flight wasn't beginning to board. After about 5 minutes, we asked the agent who then told us that the gate number had changed on our flight. We had to catch a tram to get to the correct gate, we were the last to board!

The weird thing is that the original gate still had our flight number posted at it.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: United 1k (finally!), Hyatt Diamond
I have two in recent memory, both last year when I started being a frequent traveler and another I can't remember when, but probably in the same time frame.

1. Booked ROC-TXL, and recently renewed my passport. Took a day trip by car to Niagara. Left passport in pants, and washed them. Passport came back in a very interesting shape. There wasn't enough time to get a replacement, but most of it seemed to survive well, so after talking with my boss, we decided to chance it, and I boarded at TXL. Amazingly, the passport scanned and the EDID chip still worked, although I got questioned on its condition by customs in both directions. I quickly sent it out for replacement shortly after I returned from TXL.

2. Miscalculated how long errands would take, and ran very late for a flight. Got to the airport 15 minutes before departure. I *love* ROC, I made the flight with 5 minutes to spare counting check-in and security (and an agent manually forcing the check-in, good thing I had no luggage to check).

3. Can't remember if it was my passport or wallet but pretty sure it was my passport, but one of them slipped out of my pocket while on my usual ALT-ROC flight on Delta. Didn't notice it was gone until I got a FedEx package in the mail from Delta with it. Since then, I now carry my passport with my wallet at all times, and constantly check for it and haven't lost either since :-).

Last edited by NCommander; Sep 6, 2010 at 9:54 am
Old Sep 6, 2010, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by NCommander
3. Can't remember if it was my passport or wallet but pretty sure it was my passport, but one of them slipped out of my pocket while on my usual ALT-ROC flight on Delta. Didn't notice it was gone until I got a FedEx package in the mail from Delta with it. Since then, I now carry my passport with my wallet at all times, and constantly check for it and haven't lost either since :-).
Is ALT (AIRLAKE TERMINAL RAILWAY COMPANY) a new DL route?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
A bit jetlagged at an airport hotel LAX, used the conditioner as body lotion. The whole bottle for face and body
Didnt notice before 10 min later when I noticed the lotion unopened!

Have to add arriving early at the gate in CPH for SVO. Major hangover so decided to rest (read: sleep) at the bench by the gate. My father, sister and brother in-law boarded seeing me sleep. They figured I was standby, and when I woke up, the plane was taxing.....

Last edited by travelkid; Sep 7, 2010 at 1:51 pm Reason: adding mistake
Old Sep 7, 2010, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by travelkid
A bit jetlagged at an airport hotel LAX, used the conditioner as body lotion. The whole bottle for face and body
Didnt notice before 10 min later when I noticed the lotion unopened!
At least you must have felt really smooth.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 2:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
At least you must have felt really smooth.
Long lasting effects

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.