Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do You Put Your Tray Out in the Hallway When Using Room Service at a Hotel Property?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do You Put Your Tray Out in the Hallway When Using Room Service at a Hotel Property?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:53 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Reading this in another thread made me wonder what FlyerTalk members do with trays once finished with the meal as a result of room service:
Originally Posted by zigzag
I would never put any room service items in the hall way. You call room service or the front desk and have them come get it, even if you have to make repeated calls. Its rude to your fellow guests to make them look at your finished meal laying on the floor. I guess some people think that is what you do with your tray or cart after you eat. The hall should not be a place for any guest to place their garbage. Once at a really nice hotel, a room would have a tray outside its door after every meal, we slipped a note under the door to let them know we thought they were slobs. They did not care and continued to do it.
Originally Posted by newbiztraveler
Every time I've called to have my tray picked up at any hotel, I've been told to put it in the hallway. So, that is what I do.
Originally Posted by SouthernCross
Regarding trays in the hallway, a nice touch is to cover the tray with a linen napkin. (Hopefully the service included a linen napkin). And if your neighbors are sloppy, cover theirs too. They won't get the point, but you won't have to look at their dinner scraps.
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I also tend to put my tray in the hallway and agree that if the hotel tells you to do that, then that is proper.
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
when houskeeping comes to clean your room they put the trays in the hall if you have left them in the room.
Seperate departments.
Do you place it out in the hallway with the used dishes and uneaten food, or do you leave it in your room and call to have the tray removed? Perhaps another method of disposing of the tray and its used items is employed by you?

Please share your thoughts and experiences. Thank you.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:07 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Usually, if I'm ordering room-service, it's late at night. And I don't need the smell in my room.

It goes out in the hall, of course covered by the metal cover (there's a word for it that's escaping me at this hour).
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:13 pm

I mainly stay at Hampton Inns and they don't have RS. It amazes me to see people put take-out trash in the hallway like we all want to smell their chinese.

I leave my trash or tray in my room and let housekeeping deal with it.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:59 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I call housekeeping, room service or front desk and ask for the tray to be removed. I don't object to seeing trays in indoor hallways, but I strongly object to seeing trays in outdoor hallways. Seems to me that food left outdoors is an invitation to vermin and critters.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Usually, if I'm ordering room-service, it's late at night. And I don't need the smell in my room.

It goes out in the hall, of course covered by the metal cover (there's a word for it that's escaping me at this hour).
Exactly (and I don't remember the name of the cover, either. ).
Old Jul 12, 2009, 2:32 am

Programs: *G
i rarely eat from room service (hmm, steak, sandwich, or chicken breast? :barf, but if i do its going outside. staff should be checking the halls frequently enough to quickly remove the trays.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 3:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, RCC, HH GOLD, SPG, OMNI, KIMPTON, A-CLUB
I have in the past put my trays out, but now the vast majorities of the hotels at which I stay, place little cards or otherwise indicate NOT to place your tray in the hall, but to call roomservice and have them pick it up. I prefer this, as I personally don't like passing down the hall of a nice 4 or 5 star property to have to look at last night's dinner or this morning's breakfast. I am sure it is mostly for aesthetics, but also to help control the pest population and the harboring of assorted vermin.

However, I have never slipped a note under someone's door about them leaving the tray outside, calling them a slob, etc. I think that would be management's job to let them know that leaving a tray outside is not something they'd like to have occurr.

Last edited by czarina; Jul 12, 2009 at 3:29 am Reason: grammar and clarity
Old Jul 12, 2009, 4:37 am

I put it all in the hallway but i ring and tell them it's ready to be picked up

How long they take to pick the stuff up is upto them

But i don't want the stuff in my room after i've finished with it and if i have female company, after dinner comes ........

you get the picture and you don't want interuptions
Old Jul 12, 2009, 4:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Most hotels I stay at ask for a call to room service to have it collected.

If the corridor is narrow, there is no way I would put a tray out in case it blocks people from going past with their suitcases.

In fact, most hotels I stay at do not bring room service on a tray - they bring it on a folding table with wheels. It simply cannot be put out in a corridor - it will get in people's way.

If for some reason I must put a tray outside (e.g. very slow collection by room service and I am needing to go to sleep), I clear up any mess (like the crumbs), any left over will have the metal cover on, and then drape the napkin over it.

Originally Posted by czarina

However, I have never slipped a note under someone's door about them leaving the tray outside, calling them a slob, etc.
Neither have I. Responding with what one perceives to be rude with rudeness is not the answer.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when people put their trays in the hall, i like to go through and search for unopened jelly jars. hate it when they put a metal dome cover on the tray. can't see what's there, and they are noisy to move.

the sheraton in weehawken NJ does not pick up the breakfast trays until the following night. i quit staying there because the halls smelled like a garbage dump.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 8:41 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
I think leaving trays in the hallway is gross. I only do that in certain circumstances - like I need to get to bed. In that case, I call and request a pickup so it will be taken sooner.

Walking down a hall strewn with half-eaten food and garbage is disgusting.

...and I had to LOL about leaving a note for another hotel guest about it. If I had received said note, it would have gone straight to passiveaggressivenotes.com
Old Jul 12, 2009, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I'll usually leave it out in the hallway, depending on where I'm staying at.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 8:54 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
If you leave a tray in the hallway and it is not picked up promptly, it is not the guest who is being rude, it is the property. Trays should be placed in the hallway, and the hotel should not allow them to remain there for more than an hour. A hotel that allows trays to stay in hallways for longer than that is not a hotel I would return to.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I usually call rooms service and tell them I've finished and then put they tray outside (unless they advise otherwise).

lastt thing I want to be doing is to have to hang around waiting for a knock on the door!

As for slipping a note under the door that's the funniest thing I've heard!!

Regards

lme ff
Old Jul 12, 2009, 9:05 am

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
I remember being starving once and walking down the hall and seeing a completely untouched (still in plastic wrap over the plate) set of toast/muffins with jam/jelly etc clearly nearby. I was quite tempted to just take it - I did not.

I usually follow whatever instructions I'm given but when in doubt it will go into the hall - i've been told to put it in the hall lots of times. Even with the rolling table to breakfast - I was told "shove it into the hall, THEN call us." (I had a small room at a nice resort - there wasn't room to walk around the table and the bed to get ready in the morning.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.