FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   How old were you the first time you flew on someone else's(not blood related) dime? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/962726-how-old-were-you-first-time-you-flew-someone-elses-not-blood-related-dime.html)

jtrain351209 Jun 8, 2009 6:02 pm

How old were you the first time you flew on someone else's(not blood related) dime?

Was just talking about this with a friend this morning, and was curious to see what other people's answers were.

opus17 Jun 8, 2009 6:44 pm

21. Right after college, first job, trip from CLE-SJC.

mersk862 Jun 8, 2009 6:50 pm

17 - my high school paid for me to go to New Orleans to compete in the National Quiz Bowl tournament. Sadly no say in travel choice - had to take US Airways.

Efrem Jun 8, 2009 7:13 pm

Senior year in college, to a job interview. Got an offer. Went to grad school instead.

midatl Jun 8, 2009 7:16 pm

Does it count if it was on the dime of a parent’s employer? Yes, I was traveling with my parents but, no, they weren’t paying. If so, 3 months. And it was an international flight too. The life of an expat brat…

trsny Jun 8, 2009 7:19 pm

25. LGA-GSO for a business trip.

sfo Jun 8, 2009 7:20 pm

Have always paid my own way.

nerd Jun 8, 2009 7:38 pm

I'd rather know

How old were you the last time you flew on someone else's dime (blood related)?

Having paid for my first plane ticket when I was in grade 5 (and no, I did not get an allowance), I always find it shocking when teens/20-year-olds are getting FF status on Daddy's dime. :confused:

SJC1K Jun 8, 2009 7:45 pm

20. I flew ONT-PHX-PRC-PHX-ONT for a Rhodes Scholarship interview and ONT-SFO-ONT for a Marshall Scholarship interview, on RW and OC, respectively, if I remember correctly. (I didn't get either. :()

vicarious_MR'er Jun 8, 2009 7:47 pm

25ish

CApreppie Jun 8, 2009 7:50 pm

27ish, SFO-HKG on United. And in coach on UA's tired 747s.

kaka Jun 8, 2009 8:19 pm

when i was 18: LHR-SAL, It's a bit marginal, but I took out 400 GBP for a volunteer trip. The rest of the 6-wk-trip was paid for through sponsorships of engineering firms n stuff. So I guess that'd count?

PTravel Jun 8, 2009 8:28 pm

17. I was in a Drama Department production that won the American College Theater Festival. The university paid to fly the cast and crew to Washington and put us up at the Hay Adams (!).

erdehoff Jun 8, 2009 8:30 pm

I think I was 26 -- my current employer flew me DCA-SFO for an interview. So far, that's the only time. :(

LizzyDragon84 Jun 8, 2009 8:39 pm

19. I won a national award from the Girl Scouts, so they flew me up to DC for a week to do some lobbying, see the city, and participate in an award ceremony. Since then I've traveled on behalf of a couple of volunteer organizations that paid my way. I've never traveled for work though.