Search

are regional airlines a big scam?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2009, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
are regional airlines a big scam?

It seems to me that the more we learn about these regional airlines, they're perpetrating a big scam on us. The airlines and entire industry try to convince us that they're "just as safe" as the mainline flights, yet as we learn more about these operations, the pilots are working on fumes and often fail the tests they are given to assess their airworthiness:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/newss...ple-tests.html

I'm beginning to think this "race to the bottom" in terms of costs for the airlines has put us all in a giant scam.

Thoughts?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 1:35 pm

Well, that is just disappointment, because we believe and trust the airlines and they just use us and we fall for the scams.

They're probably only into money!
Old Jun 8, 2009, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have always refused to fly regional carriers for a few reasons. Service and comfort were always a concern, but safety, for me, is an issue as well. If the mainline carriers ever switch to a domestic/regional international/mainline model, I'll have to decide how I'm going to manage.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTravel
I have always refused to fly regional carriers for a few reasons. Service and comfort were always a concern, but safety, for me, is an issue as well. If the mainline carriers ever switch to a domestic/regional international/mainline model, I'll have to decide how I'm going to manage.
Hypothetical: Fantastic job opportunity arises but it requires moving to a city that is only served by regional carriers. Do you not take the job because of the aircraft that fly into that city?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Hypothetical: Fantastic job opportunity arises but it requires moving to a city that is only served by regional carriers. Do you not take the job because of the aircraft that fly into that city?
You'll have to define, "fantastic job opportunity." I've been able to conduct my business just fine for the last 25 years by driving to/from cities serviced only by regional aircraft. Even now, I live and work in Orange County, but will drive to LAX for international flights, rather than taking one of those little propeller things from SNA to LAX.

Are you offering?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTravel
Are you offering?
Depends. What's your skillset?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depends. What's your skillset?
I'm a lawyer. I have none.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
My home airport (15-20 minute drive) is only served by regional jets, and the nearest big airport (RDU) is a 90 minute drive away. Driving to CLT would take at least 2.5-3 hours. If the price is significantly better out of RDU, I'll go with that, but it often isn't, leaving me on DL or US Canadairs.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 5:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The big scam I've found is that the flight attendants keep telling me on American Eagle that "every seat is First Class". Well if that's the case...how come the meals are so awful?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 5:23 pm

Well...judging by the amount of segments flown by RJs (an RJ might fly 5 segments for 1 mainline segment) and the amount of crashes there are, I'd say they are pretty damn safe. Otherwise I'd have to say that a pilot or flight attendant job for a regional carrier would be a death sentence.
Never once questioned flying a regional, and never felt unsafe.
I fully respect and trust the crew on these airlines.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pjpoker
Well...judging by the amount of segments flown by RJs (an RJ might fly 5 segments for 1 mainline segment) and the amount of crashes there are, I'd say they are pretty damn safe. Otherwise I'd have to say that a pilot or flight attendant job for a regional carrier would be a death sentence.
Never once questioned flying a regional, and never felt unsafe.
I fully respect and trust the crew on these airlines.
A couple questions:

1) Is "pretty damn safe" the standard we want or "perfectly safe"?

2) How can you respect crew that continually fails exams?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 5:29 pm

In addition, what do you suggest we do when the current mainline pilots are retiring? Surely we can't hire the scum from regional airlines. Maybe we could hire straight from flight school, turning mainline carriers into the same as a regional. Really...you have to start somewhere. Regionals also hire a lot of military pilots. Surely our government trains them poorly.
Don't mean to start a rant, but I feel for these pilots who are almost all highly skilled, some probably more than mainline pilots.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pjpoker
In addition, what do you suggest we do when the current mainline pilots are retiring? Surely we can't hire the scum from regional airlines. Maybe we could hire straight from flight school, turning mainline carriers into the same as a regional. Really...you have to start somewhere. Regionals also hire a lot of military pilots. Surely our government trains them poorly.
Don't mean to start a rant, but I feel for these pilots who are almost all highly skilled, some probably more than mainline pilots.
With all due respect, what you feel is more or less irrelevant. The data suggest that these regional pilots are failing exams more than your average C-student in Middle America.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
1) Is "pretty damn safe" the standard we want or "perfectly safe"?
I'd love to see perfectly safe, but that would mean no incidents, for any reason, at any time. In that case, I guess we would have to rule out flights on wide bodied Airbuses for the time being, or flying in the vicinity of storms.

Pretty damn safe with continuous improvement with perfectly safe as a goal is going to have to be reasonable enough for me.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etch5895
I'd love to see perfectly safe, but that would mean no incidents, for any reason, at any time. In that case, I guess we would have to rule out flights on wide bodied Airbuses for the time being, or flying in the vicinity of storms.

Pretty damn safe with continuous improvement with perfectly safe as a goal is going to have to be reasonable enough for me.
So what are the regional airlines doing to ensure continuous improvement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.