Old May 19, 2009, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
What is the meaning of this fare rule?

"10.combinations

add-ons permitted.
End-on-end
end-on-end combinations permitted with jj fares.
Validate all fare components. Travel must be via the
point of combination.
Provided -
combinations are for carrier jj.
Open jaws/round trips/circle trips
fares may be combined on a half round trip basis
-to form single or double open jaws/round trips/
circle trips.
Provided -
combinations are with any fare for carrier jj in
any rule in this tariff."
Old May 20, 2009, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is a typical phrasing at the end of most fare rules. It basically means that the fare can be used to "assemble" a larger/more complicated itinerary, though in this case it is only permissible if the other flights are also on JJ.

If you had an open jaw, for example, you would be permitted to price it as a one way of this fare and a one way of the other fare - assuming the other requirements like minimum stay, advance purchase, etc. were met. Were this not permitted you'd be forced to price it from 2x one way fares which are generally more expensive. Being able to price as halves of r/t fares is a very useful thing.
Old May 20, 2009, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
By "add-on" do you mean that after I ticket it the itin, I can add a segment or two to the itin?
Old May 20, 2009, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA Fan
By "add-on" do you mean that after I ticket it the itin, I can add a segment or two to the itin?
No...sorry if that was confusing.

The pricing rules are all processed when the ticket is initially issued. Unless changes are free you'd be charged a change fee, but the fare calculation for the new ticket would still be assembled that way.

A couple hypothetical situations:

1. You want to fly AAA-CCC but the carrier does not publish a fare on that route. They do, however, publish AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC fares. Assuming end-on-end is permitted the airline systems will just add the AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC fares and issue you the single ticket constructed of the combined fares. This also works when multiple carriers get involved and the fares are assembled that way. This can generally include a oneway add-on at the end of the trip past the point of origin (AAA-BBB-AAA-CCC).

2. You want to fly AAA-BBB then BBB-CCC then CCC-AAA (circle trip). As long as you have met the other rules for the discounted ticket that can be priced as half of a r/t AAA-BBB plus half of a r/t BBB-CCC plus half of a r/t CCC-AAA.

3. You want to fly AAA-BBB-CCC where AAA and CCC are closer to each other than either is to BBB (open jaw). As long as you have met the other rules for the discounted ticket that can be priced as half of a r/t AAA-BBB plus half of a r/t BBB-CCC.

All of these calculations are performed when the ticket is priced; once issued it is locked in unless it is refundable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.