Travel&Dining

TravelBuzz

No Personal Items in the Seat Pockets

Old May 3, 09, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United

On a RJ flight this weekend I sat in the exit rows on both legs. The FA attendant said that the FAA has not made a termination that personal items could be in the set back pockets.

On another RJ flight also in an exit row nothing was said.

Anyones else heard of this non-sense?
Old May 3, 09, 7:42 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
This is a rule that is enforced at times on almost all airlines.
Old May 3, 09, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
This is a rule that is enforced at times on almost all airlines.
For some reason, the regionals seem much more proactive in their enforcement. The first hard push I saw was on a Shuttle America flight operated for DL. This past December, I sat in front of a man who got into a quite serious argument with the FA about it on a UA regional flight.

I can only remember one mainline DL flight where this was mentioned, and they specifically limited it to laptops and large books. On the Shuttle America flight with the militant FA, he claimed even magazines were banned. I was tempted to ask about the ones the airline had put in there, but he was so gung-ho that I figured I'd rather keep my mouth shut and make it to PHL.
Old May 3, 09, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
One of the recent threads about RJs on this board had an FA that said she enforced this. I'll look for the thread.
Old May 3, 09, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hyatt Plat.
Was in F last week on a 757. I had my laptop in the seat back pocket. Final approach for landing the FA spent about a minute telling me it was not allowed and that "they are really cracking down on us about it". I asked if I could get my bag out of the overhead and was told "no" then she said she would find a blanket so I could wrap it and put it under the seat in front of me. Seemed a bit much since I could have just held it, or *gasp* stood up to got my bag and stored it, especially since the landing gear was not yet down. When she could not find a blanket, she let me stand up and get my bag. What drama over a rule that does not seem to make any sense. I have never heard of this rule before. So it is not just on the regional stuff.
Old May 3, 09, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
From an FA in the thread regarding exit rows.

Originally Posted by flightattendantsteve View Post
Actually, a seatback pocket is not a approved storage area. If you take a look at the safety card in your pocket you'll see that nothing is to be stowed there. Waterbottle included...
Just for an example... Lets say you put your laptop in there... and you hit some severe turbulence.. Your precious laptop flies out of the pocket and hits the person across the aisle from you in the head. The safest place for any carry-ons is under the seat in front of you, or in a overhead... No Ifs, Ands or Buts...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11667820-post36.html
Old May 3, 09, 8:25 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Now that it has been established that this rule is not exclusive to Delta Air Lines, the new home of this thread is now the TravelBuzz! forum so that FlyerTalk members who travel on other airlines may also participate in this discussion.

Thank you.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta forum
Old May 3, 09, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United
Interesting, so it sounds like the FAA is giving the airlines grief for not enforcing that rule. I wonder if I will get in trouble for stuffing my garbage in there :-).
Old May 3, 09, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
On a recent klm flight - absolutely nothing was allowed, the dragon lady searched and took everything away from me, including the book I had in my hand that I was reading - too many pages!

This is the kind of stuff that we spend billions of dollars for to make us safe.
Old May 4, 09, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by GrizShel View Post
On a recent klm flight - absolutely nothing was allowed, the dragon lady searched and took everything away from me, including the book I had in my hand that I was reading - too many pages!

This is the kind of stuff that we spend billions of dollars for to make us safe.
Wait, tell me more about that. She took a book away from you because it had too many pages? ...?

Sounds like a G.W. Bush education guideline.

Till
Old May 4, 09, 3:23 am

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Originally Posted by tfar View Post
Wait, tell me more about that. She took a book away from you because it had too many pages? ...?

Sounds like a G.W. Bush education guideline.

Till
Maybe it was a book banned by the New Administration? Like Atlas Shrugged?
Old May 4, 09, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by reamworks View Post
Maybe it was a book banned by the New Administration? Like Atlas Shrugged?
Good one!!! But for a banned book this "literary weapon's" sales rank is much too high. If one was skilled enough one could exert a blunt force attack with that thing. One day they will only allow pre-screened Kindles for security reasons.

Till
Old May 4, 09, 5:18 am

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
In all seriousness, I think keeping extra crud out of the exit row aisle is a good idea. Every now and then, everyone in the plane will have to actually exit the plane through there, in less than ideal conditions! There are some rules that have a basis in reality.
Old May 4, 09, 6:15 am

This rule is applied on most European airlines - you can't even put things under the seat in front of you if you are sitting in an emergency exit row
Old May 4, 09, 9:55 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, WN A-List/CP, AA Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alanR View Post
This rule is applied on most European airlines - you can't even put things under the seat in front of you if you are sitting in an emergency exit row
On Ryan Air I noticed that the last row of coach (and I'm guessing the first row too) were considered emergency exit and subject to the same rules.

Search this Thread