Reload this Page >

First ever missed flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First ever missed flight

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2009, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Gold, OnePass Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Diamond Club Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
I have always found access to good airline lounges an incentive to arrive early at the airport and lack of access to lounges a reason to arrive just in time.
Consequently, I've missed more flights than I care to remember.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
I have never missed a flight, but I have perfected the art of arriving at the airport, leisurely making my way through check-in/bag drop, security, and the terminal (sometimes stopping for food/drink on the way) to arrive at the gate just in time to walk directly on to my flight, all the while never really worrying about how close to missing the flight I really was.
Old May 8, 2009, 2:55 pm

Missed only flight due to airlines delay

What do you do when an airline claims the delay is due to weather and you're sitting there watching other flights take off, other flights from the same airline? This was at DFW. They basically left approx 75 people sitting at the gate waiting to board. Stories changed as to what was causing the delay but according to the pilots, whom we ended up eating lunch with, there was a problem with the plane. It was taken to the hangar for maintenance and the delay was due to no one being available to get the plane back to the gate. The pilots even offered to go get it and were denied, lol.
Can I get them to give me any compensation for causing enough of a delay that we missed the only flight out from San Juan to Grenada? We had to spend the night in San Juan and wait until 6pm the next day for the only flight out to Grenada. We missed an entire day in Grenada. I would be understanding if it was due to weather, but I happen to know it wasn't. Obviously, my trip meant far more to me than it did to them. I saved for two years for this trip. We are not frequent travelers. Is this stupidity normal? Can I get them to compensate me?
Old May 8, 2009, 3:47 pm

I almost missed my first flight last Sunday.

DL 1079 (ATL-SFO), last flight of the day. Thunderstorms had rolled through earlier (pretty severe, too) so I decided I could leave for the airport later than usual.

So I'm on MARTA the and constantly refreshing the flight status page and I notice the flight is just not getting delayed. It's a 9:15 departure and I got to the airport at 8:50.

"Okay", I think, "there are kiosks right at the MARTA station. I'll get my BP and head directly to security." No such luck - turns out the kiosks won't let you print out BP less than half an hour before the departure time.

So I start running. All the way from the MARTA station (at the end of the baggage claim area) to the Delta desks. Since it's late there's not really anyone there. I finally find a few employees all the way down at the biz elite checkin. I'm not biz elite but I'm sweating, panting, and no other stations are open.

Between breaths I explain that I need my BP and give my flight info. They print it out. "A26, you'd better hurry." Flight is still on-time.

So I run into security. There is no line, fortunately, so I hastily unpack my laptop from my carry-on and get my shoes off. I show the TSA agent my BP.

She looks at me and waves. While I'm trying to interpret this gesture, the also points out my roll-aboard isn't in the machine yet. So I push it back in, go back through the metal detector and she waves at me again. I stare blankly until she finally says, "Goodbye". I realize what she's getting at and I just say "thank you" and slip my shoes back on and gather my belongings.

Now is the next critical phase. Run through the tunnel or take the train? I just missed the train, so I decide to run, thinking I'd be assisted by the moving sidewalk. Well, this half-worked - the first moving sidewalk was out-of-service.

I get to terminal A, run to the gate. I get there at 9:08. I sit down in my seat, drenched and sweat and thinking, "I certainly don't envy whoever has to sit next to me." And then I look around. I know this flight is basically sold-out. The plane is half full. My row, except for me, is empty. I notice other hurried passengers with pink bag tags rushing onto the plane.

Finally, at 9:14, they announce the GA has decided to delay the flight 15 minutes to wait for my connecting passengers. So in the end, I was kind of right. But I'll sure as heck be early from now on, no matter what.

Edit: I did miss a flight one time (ATL-SJC) due to a mechanical issue in HSV. But since that wasn't my fault I don't really count it.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 4:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Did it again this year

June 1st was a Monday. I worked all day then flew PHX-LAX-JFK with LAX-JFK being on a redeye. I had an awful night's sleep on the flight.

June 2nd I was out all day and then went to the Yankees game that night. Dropped off to sleep at midnight expecting to wake up at 4:30 AM for the 6:05 AM LGA-DFW flight.

On June 3rd I was awoken at 7:30 by my brother who was sharing a hotel room with me. Apparently I'd thrown my cell phone accross the room after its alarm went off. I ended up getting rebooked LGA-DFW-ORD-PHX which cost me a day of work but it was during 2x EQM so it wasn't the worst thing ever.

With how tired I was, I wonder what time I'd have woken up if my brother hadn't been sharing a room with me and/or if he hadn't had a 9 AM flight?
Old Sep 26, 2009, 8:15 pm

Priority Pass or lounge access would be a godsend

I am so glad that I have PrioirtiyPass that allows me into the airline lounge at most airports. If I missed a flight I would get accommodated and then head to a lounge to relax. I would be the type of person who would be staying in the lounge having too much fun and miss my flight.

I think a good Alaskan Ale at the Alaska Boardroom is such a godsend while relaxing. You don't want to drink too much or else end up missing the flight.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:02 pm

I would have went directly to the staff member

I would have went directly to the staffmember who booked your ticket and asked for the $50 out of his own pocket for his mistake. He knew you needed to return on Sunday. If the department gave me a group to book I would have called you to confirm your special request, and made sure you had your return flight time as specified. If the airline charged you the walkup fare you could have charged it to the University or ask for reimbursement from the staff member who clearly made this oversight.

Originally Posted by lantanatx
My one missed originating flight occurred because I didn't carefully check all the tickets I was issued. Back in the days of paper tickets, I showed up at ATL one Sunday afternoon to board my string of CO flights home, handed them my stapled stack of tickets, only to be told my flight had left 24 hrs previously on Sat!

My first year teaching, I had been sent by my university to some workshop (Thur/Friday/Sat morn.) in a city I formerly lived in. I asked to return on Sunday afternoon rather than Sat., so I could stay with old friends Sat night. My university was going to reimburse me for the workshop/flight/hotel, but insisted that their travel office had to make all reservations for official travel, even though it was being charged to my personal credit card (as a new faculty I didn't qualify for a university credit card). On my travel request, I clearly stated that I only needed hotel reservations for Thur. and Friday; no hotel Sat and return flight Sunday. Travel office put in the wrong date in when booking and had me returning Sat, when the other workshop participants did. However, the cover letter/itinerary that came with my tickets had me returning as I requested on Sunday. I never looked beyond the first departing ticket to confirm my name was correct, so it's my fault I didn't catch it.

A little hung-over after a late night partying with the old crowd, my friends drop me off at ATL Sunday afternoon and leave. I go to get my boarding pass and am told I'm 24 hrs late! The first agent said I would have to buy a new ticket and I must have looked like I was going to break down crying, because he got all nervous and called a supervisor over. I was a poor, broke, brand-new professor and certainly didn't have any additional room on my credit card to afford a full price fare ticket (in ancient times when credit card limits actually had some relationship to your income/debt). I had had to ask for a credit line increase just to book the original trip expenses. The other agent took pity on me and put me on the last flight out with only a $50 change fee. Luckily they were able to book me on all my needed connections, though I didn't get home until midnight.

To rub salt in the wound, the university refused to reimburse me for the change fee, even though their staff member was the one who had booked it wrong.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! It was so unbelievable from you guys are trying to catch the flight out of ATL. Next time he should have to get on the train earlier the times. Just lookup for which the specific schedules where he need to get there to ATL airport. It's importance for him. He wasn't to take own responsibilities that he is missed the flight out ATL by couple months ago. Next time that he should have to get there at airport on-time and not wait for the trains more than 1 hours.

I remember my last 3 years ago where I flown to FLL but, I missed the flight out ATL-FLL. I got 30 minutes delayed due to mechancial problems. So I have to called my mom & my friend in FLL that I missed connection the flight. So instead, I have to get on the flight around 10:40pm and will be arrived in FLL right past after midnight around 12:15am. DL gate agent has gave me issued another BP for my next flight out ATL-FLL instead of 9pm flight. I wasn't take the advantage of it. This is reason why has happening to me during my entire trip to FLL to see my friend who is retired from BCAD work for public information officer. I wasn't aware about my entire trip out of PHX-ATL-FLL. So let's the speculations begin. I wasn't necessary during my trip out there.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 2:20 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage, Aerolineas Plus, Hertz, Hyatt, Marriott , SPG.
Aug 25 2009, I had just arrived from in YYZ from EZE connecting to YVR. I had a 9 hours layover on a United award ticket flying AC. After arrival and collecting my bagagge I decided to go to AC desk and asked for an earlier available flight to YVR, something that I had been unable to get on the phone (not seats for an award ticket I guess), I got it there right away, for the next AC flight to YVR. I was happy. I checked my bag, but security lines were very long....and departure gate was...(why not the first one or the second around the corner I wonder) the last one, after security I still had a long walk... I did my best, but didn't make it. GA told me I was "2" minutes late. She even told me if I had forgotten about departure time or what, apparently she thought I had spent all that time at the cafeteria, near the gate. Oh gosh, too late, missed my flight. Had to go to collect my checked bag, which was again at the opposite side of the terminal. But walking is good, isn't it? Ha.

Well, considering I was on a award ticket, I was afraid of AC asking me for a fee or worst a whole new ticket. But they didn't, I explained my situation (had a flight, changed it for an earlier one, couldn't make it due long security lines) and they reissued a boarding pass, and everything was OK.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 9:34 pm

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
My first ever missed flight was a connection in MUC in 2005. Coming from a very rough flight from PHL and being a heavy smoker, I had to go get a coffee and a cigarette and didn't worry too much... Went to the gate 20 minutes prior to scheduled departure but was told the plane departed already.
"No it's not. The jet is standing there and the bridge is still connected. Now open the door please."
"No, you're too late. Please go to customer services and get rebooked on the next flight."

Took the next flight 3 hours later, needless to say my bags didn't show...
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:00 pm

I almost missed my flight last month, Aug 6th. I arrived to Chicago O'Hare airport 2 and a half hours prior to my departure and to my surprize only 1 security checkoint was open...We were about 500 people standing in line, every 2 minutes someone was asking permission to skip the line as their flight is departing....I got to the plane 1 minute before they closed the doors...I think a lot of people missed their flight that day.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 2:09 am

Unhappy

I missed a flight once, but not because I was late. Years ago I was flying home from my first ever trip to the US, SFO to AMS to HEL on KLM. The flight from SFO landed maybe 10 minutes behind schedule, so I had 50 minutes to get to my connecting flight. No problems there, I was at the gate before they started boarding. However, the gate agent scanned my boarding pass and informed me that since my luggage was still in the previous aircraft, they couldn't let me board this flight. I was told to go to the transfer center, where they gave me a 10 EUR food coupon (yay....Burger King), 3 EUR phone card and a 50 EUR discount coupon for a KLM flight (which I never used), and put me on the next KLM flight to HEL, which was 6 or 7 hours later. I was very tired after the flight fom SFO (I don't sleep well on planes), so I took what they gave me and spent 6 totally miserable hours in AMS trying not to fall asleep and miss my new flight. I didn't realize until much later that I maybe should have asked them to put me on a Finnair flight or something...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.