Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Seat Belt Sign... Do you keep it fastened?

Old Apr 6, 09, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium

I am sorry to say... that my cool, calm exterior cracked today...

Pulling onto stand at T5A this afternoon after a Band 1 flight, last sector at the end of a 3 day trip. "Doors to Manual" call is made, so me and the Purser stand up and do the doors... I go to open the wardrobe to hand 1 A+C and 1 D+F their jackets, and there are 3 people stood up in the Club Cabin.
These particular passengers had been "challenging" shall we say during flight, and this was just like waving a red rag at a bull. We were not fully on stand, and the engines spooled up to move us the last XX meters to final park.

Before I blew a gasket...

"Do you hear that? Engines... Do you see that? Seat belts... SIT DOWN..."
Then proceeded to close the overhead locker rather hard...

Now, are you:

1) An Air Navigation Order obi-ding passenger.

OR

2) A jack in the box.

My sincere apologies if you happened to be on that flight and witnessed the little brake in my exterior...
Old Apr 6, 09, 11:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Teacher's pet here, never unbuckle until directed - helps when you're a window dweller and penned in good n proper

Aren't you glad you weren't working my SFO-LHR flight last week. Whilst the aircraft was being tugged through a complex 4 point reverse manoeuvre out of Gate A4, mister in seat 2K was out of his seat merrily rifled through the forward locker and for what purpose?....

... to retrieve a power cable which as it transpired he didn't need until after dinner was served
Old Apr 6, 09, 11:34 am

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Yes of course the belt should be fastened until the sign is off. Actually this can be somewhat fun if seated in the aisle seat. A few times I have had a dykwia in the window seat unbuckling too early stressed to get out and expecting me to do the same, which I never do.

Yes, this person maybe is late for a connecting flight but I don't think 30 seconds more or less will be important.
Old Apr 6, 09, 11:34 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
During the flight: always obedient (except last December on an AA flight MIA-EZE during which the Captain essentially left the sign on for the whole flight - everyone had to disappear to the lavs or whatever at some point).

On arrival at gate: When it is obvious we have stopped at the gate I confess I will unbuckle although I don't stand up. It facilitates putting on one's jacket and helps with the race to be standing in the aisle as soon as possible once the sign is off.
Old Apr 6, 09, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I will keep the seat belt on during the flight regardless of the sign ( unless popping to the toilet)

I have occassionaly unbuckled at the gate once I hear the engines spool down ( just before the sgin goes off)

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 6, 09, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Belted whenever the sign is on and when not moving around the cabin. Reclined from wheels up (thanks to the advice from crew on here about when take off is^).
Old Apr 6, 09, 12:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I leave my seat belt fastened like a teacher's pet until the "captain turns off the seat belt sign", even though I often get glared at by the impatient passenger next to me (I normally take the aisle seat) for doing that.

I also always fasten my seat belt during cruise regardless of the seat belt sign, as long as I am seated, because I don't particularly fancy the idea of being slammed into the ceiling should we suddenly encounter some turbulence.
Old Apr 6, 09, 12:17 pm

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
Recalling many flights in Siberia & Kazakhstan in the old days, when almost every pax stands up during the taxi:

I tried it a few times, and since I'm prone to motion sickness in road transport, I found it rather unpleasant standing up (never mind if it's dangerous, or not, I just thought I might vomit!)

Admittedly it was mostly Tupolevs and Antonovs which are rather bumpy when taxiing across poorly maintained, pitted concrete aprons...
Old Apr 6, 09, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
I even have it on during the flight! I keep thinking of a James bond film (octopussy me thinks!) where a baddie gets sucked out!
Old Apr 6, 09, 12:25 pm

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
Originally Posted by d3vski View Post
I even have it on during the flight! I keep thinking of a James bond film (octopussy me thinks!) where a baddie gets sucked out!
Looks like it was Goldfinger http://www.answers.com/topic/goldfinger-film-1

Although according to wikipedia... in the book it was Oddjob
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auric_Goldfinger
Old Apr 6, 09, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by beardedgeologist View Post
Looks like it was Goldfinger http://www.answers.com/topic/goldfinger-film-1

Although according to wikipedia... in the book it was Oddjob
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auric_Goldfinger
Yup in the book Oddjob is the one sucked out. Bond just strangles Golfinger with his bare hands. I guess the film had to give the baddie a more impressive death.
Old Apr 6, 09, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AY
I say no mercy on people who don't obey the seat belt sign. They don't need pity, they only need discipline, some verbal whipping and public humiliation in front of other pax!

While some might think that keeping seat belts fastened during taxiing feels a bit over the top, I'm sure the rules exist for a reason, and not because airlines want to annoy pax.
Old Apr 6, 09, 1:24 pm

Programs: Mucci Master of the Skies, Does anyone read any further than Mucci anyway? BAEC Blue
I have it on from when I take my seat until the sign goes off, unless I've got up to visit the lav and stretch my legs. Once forgot to do it up in the cruise and we hit some turbulance which resulted in the sign going on. As I'd fallen aslep I had to be worlken up by the fa to put it on. Never forgot again.
Old Apr 6, 09, 2:16 pm

Location: Beautiful Stockholm,....and now getting darker earlier...urgh
Programs: BAGold. That´s it....oh, and Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy View Post
A jack in the box
No kidding, last but one flight on routing BKK-AMM, and sitting last row economy, nearly half of the PAX were up on their feet clammering for their bags in the OH lockers AS SOON AS the wheels hit the runway.

Funny thing was, cabin crew just carried on chatting to each other as if this was the norm, but I realise this anyway would have been mission impossible

Last edited by Chrispyat60; Apr 6, 09 at 2:35 pm
Old Apr 6, 09, 2:22 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by speedbird182 View Post
I have it on from when I take my seat until the sign goes off, unless I've got up to visit the lav and stretch my legs. .
I hope you don't automatically put your belt on when boarding, but rather look at the signs? If the aircraft is still refuelling you are NOT supposed to fasten seatbelts and the seatbelts sign will be off!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: