Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Seat Belt Sign... Do you keep it fastened?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Belt Sign... Do you keep it fastened?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I beat the sign

I wait until I know the aircraft has stopped and unfasten then. I don't stand up before the sign is off, and I try and do it quietly.

BA take an age to turn off the sign. Especially after a long-haul, that becomes unbearable. But in 6 months of continuous Easyjet flying, I've beaten their sign a grand total of once
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:28 pm

Location: Beautiful Stockholm,....and now getting darker earlier...urgh
Programs: BAGold. That´s it....oh, and Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star
Originally Posted by OPebble
I hope you don't automatically put your belt on when boarding, but rather look at the signs? If the aircraft is still refuelling you are NOT supposed to fasten seatbelts and the seatbelts sign will be off!
Good point, must remember that^
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
But you know what narks me the most... is... When sat, directly in-front of a member of crew, and yet you still unfasten your seat belt, try and turn on your mobile phone and spread your crap all over the floor in-front of the emergency exit... THEN act like a petulant child when told not to do it...

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT???
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OPebble
I hope you don't automatically put your belt on when boarding, but rather look at the signs? If the aircraft is still refuelling you are NOT supposed to fasten seatbelts and the seatbelts sign will be off!
Excellent point OPebble...

Please do listen to announcements onboard the aircraft, this being one of them that you may hear during boarding... to NOT fasten your seat belt.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:49 pm

I hate wearing it. But I do.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I hate wearing it. But I do.
I bet you look top banana in it though! ^
Old Apr 6, 2009, 3:00 pm

It's just another sign of people who know better than the professionals. It's so bl***y easy ....follow the instructions of the crew.
I'd be the first in line to give the crew one of my cards as a witness, if anything went wrong.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I bet you look top banana in it though! ^
I'm not large but every time I get on a plane my seat belt always has to be expanded before I can get it round my waist.
Why is this BBB - do you adjust them before we get on or does it depend on the size of the last person who sat on my seat?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'm not large but every time I get on a plane my seat belt always has to be expanded before I can get it round my waist.
Why is this BBB - do you adjust them before we get on or does it depend on the size of the last person who sat on my seat?
I certainly do not do them... However, on BA, the cleaners are required to cross the seat belts on the seats... and, in most cases, they do this... However, some outstations are a little sketchy on that one...

However, for them to do that, they have to adjust the seat belt to a shorter length to make it cross properly and look neater. So, not intentional... We do not look down the PIL to find you and go running up to your seat and adjust it in to the smallest possible before you arrive!
Old Apr 6, 2009, 3:27 pm

I actually think that there's something wired up oddly deep in the psyche of the jack in the boxes.

I see it in car passengers too, who unbuckle as soon as they see their destination hove into view.

Since, statistically, most survivable impacts occur when manouevring, when at low speed and at the beginning and ends of journeys - car, plane, boat, you name it, it rather beggars belief that these numbnuts cannot get it into their otherwise apparently educated minds that they are placing themselves, and others around them, in danger.

That their actions are prohibited by legislation or regulation, that there is audible and visual reminder that their action is prohibited and that there is almost never any real achieved benefit from breaking the law/regulation all points to one obvious conclusion:

They're thick.

Premature evacuation, I call it. And it's usually messy.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
I always follow orders of the crew, it does irritate me when people take off their seat belts and get up while the plane is still taxiing!

I think certain routes are very bad, I someone was trying to squeeze past me on the LHR-DEL route, I said to them seat belt light not off, he said but everyone else is getting up, i said so what, the belt light is still on. He smiled and wobbled his head.

Anyway it turned out a long delay for the stairs to be connected people wanted to sit down but couldn't coz of the surge of people towards the exit, i felt smug that i still had my seat ;-)
Old Apr 6, 2009, 3:52 pm

seat belt on from sitting down (as long as not re-fuelling...engineer Mr HH taught me that one) until at the gate and engines off...sorry to say I listen for engines off rather than seat belt sign, but have noticed they are pretty much the same moment. If belt sign does not go off, I'll stay in my seat.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 4:07 pm
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Clunk, click, every trip.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 4:08 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Always keep your seatbelt on.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The guy I mention below must have taken his s/belt off on landing.

I recall a few years ago a very arrogant male literally tried to barge his way through from First pushing past me (I was in the fwd cabin in CW on a High J).

Of course I challenged him, gave him a piece of my mind (a polite and well constructed piece of legal advice) and never allowed him to pass me at which point he was stuck as people had q'd behind him. He was stuck in a Jam and the look on his face was rage.

One of the Crew told him firmly to wait as we were using door 2.

Why are some people so arrogant. BBB and all other CC keep on top of this lot. We all support you !!

Pete
Old Apr 6, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PETER01
Always keep your seatbelt on.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The guy I mention below must have taken his s/belt off on landing.

I recall a few years ago a very arrogant male literally tried to barge his way through from First pushing past me (I was in the fwd cabin in CW on a High J).

Of course I challenged him, gave him a piece of my mind (a polite and well constructed piece of legal advice) and never allowed him to pass me at which point he was stuck as people had q'd behind him. He was stuck in a Jam and the look on his face was rage.

One of the Crew told him firmly to wait as we were using door 2.

Why are some people so arrogant. BBB and all other CC keep on top of this lot. We all support you !!

Pete
Their day will come, as happened to a rather lovely CE customer several years ago, when I was on Mid-Fleet.

767 was pulling onto stand, door to manual call was made, we got up to disarm doors and our customer stood up at the front of the cabin to get his bag. Unfortunately for all of us a baggage truck shot across the front of the aircraft, skipper jumped on the brakes, the good old 767 stopped on a penny and we bounced off the bulkheads, but were otherwise ok. Our poor customer was not so fortunate, caught off balance trying to get into the overhead locker he took to the air for a few seconds and was abruptly stopped by the bulkhead at row 1. I am sure he was in agony, as the red welt on the side of his face grew larger as we talked to him, but he insisted he was ok and hurried off the aircraft. Closely followed by a rather large group of laughing CE passengers....

As crew we were far too professional to laugh at his misfortune!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.